NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Richard Simon

Default Wow! What a Steiner deal. $2500 for a handshake, autograph and of course a ticket

Just got this e mail offer:

Steiner Sports
VIP Meet and Greet with Derek Jeter and a 100-Level Game Ticket ($2,500); VIP Mariano Rivera Meet and Greet and a 100-Level Game Ticket ($2,000); Signed Derek Jeter Photograph ($290); or Mariano Rivera's Record-Breaking 602 Baseball ($265)
Why settle for a close-up on the Jumbotron when you can shake your idol's hand?

--
Now I got to go out and sell my Christy Mathewson so I can meet and greet with Derek.
Wow! What a deal. Can I meet and greet both? Who the hell needs to buy food or pay the rent when Derek, Mariano and Brandon need more dough. .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Anyone still think Derek's not a greedy bastard?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

The person who bought the Mint 10 Ozzie Smith RC for $20,000 must be kicking himself now - he could have met Derek Jeter 8 times!

I can see Babe Ruth standing behind a barricade at a stadium now.

DAD- (yelling to Ruth) "Hey Babe, do you have a second for a picture and to sign a ball for my kid? He's a big fan!"

Ruth - (with a look of disgust on his face) "That'll be 50 bucks Jack! Now amscray!"

Last edited by travrosty; 04-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Anyone still think Derek's not a greedy bastard?
How many players aren't these days?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Does that include authentication?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 PM

I wish more people on the Yankees were like Curtis Granderson. That guy signs ALL day and is happy to do it. While he was still on Detroit he even thanked everyone at spring training who waited for him. I remember over the summer he even let himself be an auction item for a meet and greet so that the guy who gave Derek back his ball could pay off some of his loans. Didn't see Derek on the list. Hmm....
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I wish more people on the Yankees were like Curtis Granderson. That guy signs ALL day and is happy to do it. While he was still on Detroit he even thanked everyone at spring training who waited for him. I remember over the summer he even let himself be an auction item for a meet and greet so that the guy who gave Derek back his ball could pay off some of his loans. Didn't see Derek on the list. Hmm....
If I recall correctly, Granderson also has a keen interest in the history of baseball.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Steve Zarelli

Jorge Posada is doing a private signing with Steiner tomorrow. I called to get a quote for a 16x20 flat mail in item

$500.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Richard Simon

The business of America is business,,, but this is greed run rampant and taking advantage of the obsession of the collector.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Bilko Glasier

Sad thing is, is there will be people lining up to pay $2500 for a hand shake, autograph and game ticket

Is the 100 level at least a good ticket in Yankee Stadium??
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
Sad thing is, is there will be people lining up to pay $2500 for a hand shake, autograph and game ticket

Is the 100 level at least a good ticket in Yankee Stadium??
This Met fan has no idea and never will .
--
Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Barry Sloate

A better question isn't why the players want so much money, but why is there a single fan who would be willing to spend $2000 to greet a player? It's not like it's going to be the beginning of a long friendship. Most players couldn't give a crap about the people who idolize them. So what satisfaction does a fan get in this kind of meeting? That is something that has escaped me as long as I have been in this hobby.... but that's me.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-13-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
The business of America is business,,, but this is greed run rampant and taking advantage of the obsession of the collector.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
Richard, isn't it partly the fault of adult collectors who resell signed items? Are they taking advantage of us, or vice versa? Or is it symbiotic?

Back when pro players signed happily for free, they were signing to real fans who treasured the item and the moment. I have about ten items that I've had personally signed since I was a kid - none will ever be for sale.

It's quite different now.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I was able to participate in one such event several years back with Don Newcomble but that was a charity fundraiser and we got to spend several hours with Newk at Dodgers Stadium, got lunch at the stadium club, and got to see the game from the executive level. But to hand a guy who made about a quarter of a billion dollars another chunk of hard-earned money just to shake my hand and sign one autograph? As some of the residents of the surrounding area might say "fugedaboudit."

There is one simple remedy: refuse to participate. Steiner has to pay Jeter regardless, so if no one buys the 'event' then they will lose their shirts and learn not to try something like this again.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
D.B. Cooper

Will he look you in the eye as he shakes your hand, or is that an extra $500?

http://imageevent.com/boboinnes/obaks