NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Default What happened here - "headless" t222 Oldring

Top card pictured is mine, bottom one is how the card normally looks. Not entirely sure how this photo came to exist without the player's head so I thought I'd get some opinions. Could the missing head be due to a flaw in the original print run? I don't think the photo itself that was used could be flawed could it? It would be that way on all the t222 Oldrings... If you look close, you'll see that the left border is also faded out a bit yet aside from that, the bottom half of the card is completely intact and still possesses a sharp photo.

Are t222s subject to fading over time at all? I've never really seen that before on t222s or t200s. I've never seen any printing flubs on either of those sets though in general, however.

Looking forward to reading some of your thoughts...

t222Oldring.jpg

oldring.jpg
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 AM

Default Brian....

Ichabod OIdring???
Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Bry@n

It looks to me like it came into contact with a liquid that erased the ink. It is a top secret process called "gone with the image" that is the result of years of tinkering and perfecting the formula. Seriously though, it looks like there are some texture differences on the top that might suggest liquid.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

Looks to me like the image either didn't get enough light, or enough developing fluid. No ink usually involved in photos, and true B+W doesn't usually fade if it's been developed properly.

Steve B
Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Looks to me like the image either didn't get enough light, or enough developing fluid.
That's what I figured as well. Looks like a photograph that was not fully exposed during the photography process.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback . If it was indeed the photo that didn't get enough ink, exposure, etc... During the photography process, wouldn't other Oldrings have this same issue?

Bryan, that's certainly a solid point as well. However, the texture of the card is actually perfectly smooth. The swirling you see that appears to be texture is actually a crummy plastic toploader that the card is loaded in. There's no change in texture at all throughout the entire card except for that top right corner.

I'll try to post a better scan of the card later on....one of the card outside the top-loader.

Btw....there isn't any way that there could be this much ink loss if someone tried to soak a t222 could there?
Old 08-02-2015, 04:33 PM
Jon L

His head's gone. It's like its been erased. Erased from existance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nohead.jpg (21.2 KB, 257 views)
Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehma13 View Post
His head's gone. It's like its been erased. Erased from existance!
We must go back! Back to the Future! (Oct 22, 2015)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Steve Birmingham

There might be others. Since they're photographs I don't know if T222s were done as sheets or individually. There's a few places in the photo process this could have happened, most would be a one time only sort of thing. If they used multiple negatives and one got some light exposure that would also cause the same problem, but it would be odd for it to get all the way into production. If they were done as contact prints- Negative and paper placed under glass and exposed - the effect seen would be almost impossible. If done with an enlarger type apparatus something could have blocked the light during the exposure. Or for any, the tray of developer could have been low and/or the paper curled causing a section to not get developed. I think that's the most likely since it's done on the dark and whoever was doing it was probably doing a bunch of them so they'd have had multiple cards/sheets in different developing trays and could have missed a mistake like this.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammus View Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback . If it was indeed the photo that didn't get enough ink, exposure, etc... During the photography process, wouldn't other Oldrings have this same issue?

Bryan, that's certainly a solid point as well. However, the texture of the card is actually perfectly smooth. The swirling you see that appears to be texture is actually a crummy plastic toploader that the card is loaded in. There's no change in texture at all throughout the entire card except for that top right corner.

I'll try to post a better scan of the card later on....one of the card outside the top-loader.

Btw....there isn't any way that there could be this much ink loss if someone tried to soak a t222 could there?
Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My first thought was chemicals. But poor developing is possible too.

Last edited by Leon; 08-04-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:03 AM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
We must go back! Back to the Future! (Oct 22, 2015)
Who is in the World Series?

Have the Cleveland Browns won a game yet?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Bry@n

I came across this and it made me think of your Oldring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m101-5 KOnetchy.jpg (77.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 08-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

That does remind me of the oldring funny enough. I did a quick look though on google images and it seems that Konetchy is supposed to look like that at least
Old 08-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Brian - I remember Headless Rube from a long time ago on eBay, circa 2003. Based on the appearance of the backs, this card and several others were burned; the heat caused the weirdness with the pictures.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Hey Bill - thanks for writing and taking the time to dig up those scans. Yep, looks like my Oldring was in with those others you have there. It does have a tiny bit of browning at the top center as well that's consistent with the other back scans you showed. That's too bad. Burned eh? Well, that's not nearly as cool as being able to say "I have a card that has a neat flaw in the photo...". "damaged in a fire..." just doesn't have the same ring to it

But, I appreciate your insight and it's neat that you can remember that group from such a long time ago. Hope all is well with you!
Old 08-14-2015, 04:15 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Ichabod OIdring???
Ahhh MRVSTER, I'm not sure the group is ready for the tale of the Headless Oldring.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%