NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Chuck Whisman

I got the cards recently from an antique dealer friend in Pennsylvania. Another antique dealer purchased them in an estate - the cards were stored in an album of antique photographs for 50+ years (it looked like the album/cards were never touched in years). The back of the cards indicate that Mascot Dog Food was out of Philadelphia, not far from where the cards were found. Makes sense to see a Philadelphia Phillies player as the only known example. It would be great to find out more information about how long Mascot Dog Food was in business. Do you think these are so rare because anyone who had them would have sent them in for the great redemption package they offered or because the dog food company may have gone under? Maybe both, and maybe they were limited to begin with. In my research I have not found any cards other than the Roberts in the price guide and I have not found any of those other redemption items. Somewhere there must be information. I did find a couple web blogs where collectors indicated that it is a regional set they'd love to find, so some collectors must know about them. I never thought I would stumble upon a one of a kind Mantle card from the 1950s!
Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Dave_Berg

Great find! You need to get it authenticated as there are so many questions.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Chuck Whisman

Looks like Mascot Dog Food and Mascot Pet Supply were out of East Orange, NJ. I was able to find an old Mascot Dog Food can label! Makes sense that the three cards that were found so far are Phillies (Roberts in the price guide) and Yankees (my Mantle and Berra), as those teams are near East Orange. Since there are no other examples known (so far) I'm guessing the other cards in the set could include Ashburn, Ford, ... and maybe some Dodgers (since the cards are likely from 1954-1955 and they left Brooklyn after 1957). I really find it interesting that the Roberts and Berra indicate a redemption program that includes 8 cards, and the Mantle indicates 11 cards - so I wonder if they may be from 2 different years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vintage mascot dog food label.jpg (80.1 KB, 2332 views)
Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM
D.an Jackso.n

I can't believe no one on this board (so far) has even heard of this issue.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:52 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default mascot

ive heard of the issue
its listed
i know who has the robin roberts
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Having held them

I was lucky enough to see these in person at Chuck's shop yesterday and I can say they are really freaking cool. I don't get excited about cards very often anymore but these are exciting cards.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I was lucky enough to see these in person at Chuck's shop yesterday and I can say they are really freaking cool. I don't get excited about cards very often anymore but these are exciting cards.
A big +1 there! Great find.

Sincerely,

Larry
Old 01-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I can't believe no one on this board (so far) has even heard of this issue.

I'm amazed at that also! A Mantle issue no one was aware of?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Scott Russell

Nobody has ever shown proof of another. Basically there are only 3 known examples from this set, though the backs claim there are 11 subjects I believe, and two of them are up for sale in this auction. That's a coup no matter how you slice it. Best of luck with this sale Chuck, just glad I got to see them in person before they disappear into the bowels of some amazing collection!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Amazing! This guy has one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mascot.jpg (65.3 KB, 836 views)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:44 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Great cards, but what is going on with the Mantle facsimile signature?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Michael

Great find! Very cool to see.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:04 AM
Glyn Parson

Swarmee I am not an autograph guy, but I know Mantle's early signature is vastly different than his later signature. I believe this is a facsimile of his early autograph before it got fancy.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Cool! Always great to see stuff you have never seen before. In my case in over 50 years.

Fred
Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Swarmee I am not an autograph guy, but I know Mantle's early signature is vastly different than his later signature. I believe this is a facsimile of his early autograph before it got fancy.
You are 100% correct about that. I have had several from his time with the KC Blues. Auto's are identical. So is the Berra auto.

Member since 2009
Old 11-13-2017, 02:02 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I love the obscure and impossible to find, so this thread has been fascinating to read. With how hot Mantle cards have been the last few years, it seems the sky would be the limit for that card in an auction like REA.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

Search for ads for mascot dog food in Philadelphia an Jersey newspapers from that era. There is a newspaper archive site you can start with.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:04 PM

Default newspaper search

Searched on GenealogyBank in PA and NJ for ads from 1952-56 and didn't get any hits at all using the search "mascot dog food." I expanded my search for the whole country, and got this tantalizing piece of info (photo) which came from the April 27, 1954 Evening Star out of Washington, D.C. in "The Baseball Beat" column by Burton Hawkins.

The text reads,
"Bucky Harris is a business associate of Al Rosen, Ed Mathews, Robin Roberts, Yogi Berra, Ed Lopat, Monte Irvin and Specs Toporcer. Their pictures appear on cans of Mascot dog food and they get a slice of the sales."

That's it! Sure would be great if those guys were on the remaining cards in the set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Apr 27 Evening Star (Washington DC) Pg 44.JPG (25.2 KB, 1390 views)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
Searched on GenealogyBank in PA and NJ for ads from 1952-56 and didn't get any hits at all using the search "mascot dog food." I expanded my search for the whole country, and got this tantalizing piece of info (photo) which came from the April 27, 1954 Evening Star out of Washington, D.C. in "The Baseball Beat" column by Burton Hawkins.

The text reads,
"Bucky Harris is a business associate of Al Rosen, Ed Mathews, Robin Roberts, Yogi Berra, Ed Lopat, Monte Irvin and Specs Toporcer. Their pictures appear on cans of Mascot dog food and they get a slice of the sales."

That's it! Sure would be great if those guys were on the remaining cards in the set!
Cool find, I would love to have one of the Ed Mathews ones in my collection.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Val Kehl

Jason, Bucky Harris was the manager of the Washington Senators in 1954. This was the last year of his third managerial go-round with the Senators, as follows:
1924-1928 (as player manager, he won the W.S. in his first year)
1935-1942
1950-1954
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:03 PM
Chuck Whisman

Quote:

The text reads,

- Cool find Jason! Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If there is an Al Rosen card I want it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Michael

Quote:

The text reads,

Wow! Great research Jason! I didn't think newspapers could be searched so easily. That pretty much puts the issue date as no earlier than 1954. However, I wonder why Mantle wasn't mentioned in the article. Could it be that more were issued in 1955? Or was Mantle included in the 1954 issue but was added after the article made it to print? Since the backs of some cards mention 8 cards in the set and others mention 11 cards in the set, does that mean it's more likely the Mantle is part of an 11 card set issued in 1955 versus an 8 card set issued in 1954?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:13 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
Since the backs of some cards mention 8 cards in the set and others mention 11 cards in the set, does that mean it's more likely the Mantle is part of an 11 card set issued in 1955 versus an 8 card set issued in 1954?
This would be my assessment. Mantle was one of the three additional players added.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:53 PM

Default 1952 Mickey mantle and yogi Berra mascot dog food cards

I read some previous post about these 2 cards that went up for auction and sold. I have a complete collection from mascot dog food with 10 cards in mint condition with geo specs toporcler, don newcombe, Eddie Matthews, Gil Hodges, Monte Irvin, yogi Berra, Mickey mantle, Robin Roberts, al flip Rosen, Ed lipstick. Need some help on how to authenticate and possibly value. I noticed the Mickey mantle sold with Wheatland auction for $23k. I have the whole collection
Old 08-04-2020, 03:01 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbruderer View Post
I read some previous post about these 2 cards that went up for auction and sold. I have a complete collection from mascot dog food with 10 cards in mint condition with geo specs toporcler, don newcombe, Eddie Matthews, Gil Hodges, Monte Irvin, yogi Berra, Mickey mantle, Robin Roberts, al flip Rosen, Ed lipstick. Need some help on how to authenticate and possibly value. I noticed the Mickey mantle sold with Wheatland auction for $23k. I have the whole collection
Authenticating would be easy enough. If you want them graded, You could go the beckett route though I be hesitant to send anything through the Postal Service at the moment. For a Collection like yours, perhaps wait until one of the Shows to happen again and tart going through the grading process there.

You could also post scans of the cards on here, if you want the board members to take a look at them. I'm completely out of my element for something like this, but there are very knowledgeable people on this forum. Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 PM
Jonathan Sterling

It should be easy to get them authenticated if you have 10 of them. Do the Roberts Mantle and Berra all match up with the 3 known examples? If they do then I would think that PSA would be your best shot at getting top dollar. Please I know it is frustrating to post pictures on this site the first time so if you email me the pictures front and back I can post them for you.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

So the known checklist and known count currently is (alpha by last name):
1: Yogi Berra (2) - Set Size: 8
2: Gil Hodges (1) - new name
3: Monte Irvin (1)
4: Ed Lopat (1)
5: Mickey Mantle (2) - Set Size: 11
6: Eddie Mathews (2)
7: Don Newcombe (1) - new name
8: Robin Roberts (2) - Set Size: 8
9: Al Rosen (1)
10: Specs Toporcer (1)
11: UNKNOWN - Presumably Bucky Harris (Mgr)

Originally there were 8 according to the back of the Robin Roberts card in the standard catalog. Do all of your cards mention 11 in the set on the back? If the Robin Roberts in your collection mentions 11 cards, then it's also a variation to the original known card. Once the 11th card is found and authenticated, PSA will likely allow for this to be graded by their company.

I disagree with the poster from a few years ago that the card is so rare that condition wouldn't matter much. I think that if you have an authentic Mantle in "mint" condition (like EX-MT or better), you could put the card in a much more active auction (REA, Heritage, Goldin, etc) and easily get over $100K. You have the benefit of finding the second one, so now the first one has kind of proved the authenticity to the market. If a 2009 Mike Trout is about to sell for $3 million or so, a 7-figure price on a super-rare high grade Mantle wouldn't shock me.

You can load the pictures on a site like Facebook (if you have an account), then use the image icon (mountain with yellow sky) above the text box to format your embedded image in the post, or just post the links (URLs) and people can embed the images for you.

Add: Hodges and Newcombe, along with Mantle, look to be the three cards added to the original 8 (known from the article posted in Post #52).

Last edited by swarmee; 08-05-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:59 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbruderer View Post
I would really like to see photos or scans of the fronts and backs of the cards if you have them. I wonder if you have a complete set since the backs differ in the number of "post card photos" offered. Also, do you have a "mixed" set of cards. Do some say "8 post card photos" on the back, and some say "11 post card photos"? Either way, you would certainly be adding greatly to the checklist of known card examples in the set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mascot Dog Food Yogi Back.jpg (63.8 KB, 843 views)
File Type: jpg Mascot Dog Food Mantle Back.jpg (63.2 KB, 850 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 04:38 PM
Chuck Whisman

Bucky Harris is the 11th card in the set. I have scans of the 11 cards, front and back from my research of these cards over the past couple of years since I found and sold the Mantle and Berra. I am actually in the process of writing a story on the set, with photos, and should have it completed in the next 2 weeks. I have photos of the only known complete set of (11) from the original owner who remembered buying mascot dog food in the early 1950s - these are really rare items (I have people calling me frequently to see if any are coming up for sale soon). Three of the card backs mention 11 postcard redemptions in the give-away (Mantle, Newcombe, and Hodges) and the rest mention 8 cards in the post card redemption. There are (11) cards in the baseball card set and the list presented here is accurate. I think they likely made 8 cards in the first year, then added the other 3 (Mantle, Newcombe, Hodges) in the second year. If anyone has more information on Mascot dog food, the company, or these cards or redemption program please let me know. It's been fun researching these cards over the past couple of years to try to piece together more information!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:14 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw View Post
I got the cards recently from an antique dealer friend in Pennsylvania. Another antique dealer purchased them in an estate - the cards were stored in an album of antique photographs for 50+ years (it looked like the album/cards were never touched in years). The back of the cards indicate that Mascot Dog Food was out of Philadelphia, not far from where the cards were found. Makes sense to see a Philadelphia Phillies player as the only known example. It would be great to find out more information about how long Mascot Dog Food was in business. Do you think these are so rare because anyone who had them would have sent them in for the great redemption package they offered or because the dog food company may have gone under? Maybe both, and maybe they were limited to begin with. In my research I have not found any cards other than the Roberts in the price guide and I have not found any of those other redemption items. Somewhere there must be information. I did find a couple web blogs where collectors indicated that it is a regional set they'd love to find, so some collectors must know about them. I never thought I would stumble upon a one of a kind Mantle card from the 1950s!
The redemption doesn't say you have to mail in the card. It just says to mail in 25 cents and a label from the dog food to receive the various items. Regardless, you've found two very rare cards that don't appear to be cataloged.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM

I collect 1990 Fleer so don't listen to me, but you might be on to something here...Great cards buddy...
Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 AM
Steve

Default Neat stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckw View Post
My question is - are these actual cardstock, or are they, as the promo blurb states, "printed on the label." If the "cards" are simply printed on can labels, it's more understandable that collectors would send them in for redemption and thus render them scarcer over time. But, the images of the cards you posted look like usual cardstock, so I'm curious. The puzzle of the number of cards in the issue: 8 vs 11, reminds me of the 1951 Topps Current All-Star set, with three cards with Philadelphia connections withdrawn from publication due to contractual concerns. I wonder if perhaps Mascot had poor sales, leading to early cancellation of the promotion, however, reading the label ingredients, the stuff sounds a lot more nutritious, if not tastier, than some of the MRE stuff I gagged on in the service.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:52 AM

What are the difference in the redemption info. On the backs? Your saying your Mantle and Berra are different from the Roberts or is your Mantle different from your Berra ? These are really interesting !
Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Having seen them in person

The berra has the same offer as the roberts the mantle has an offer for 11. they are on a normal card stock, they are not glossy per se but they aren't dull either. They are not on the labels. These are pretty cool and Chuck may have hit the lotto. One of the first "new" things I have seen in years that i could genuinely say was cool.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-29-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:22 AM
Steve

Quote:
The berra has the same offer as the roberts the mantle has an offer for 11. they are on a normal card stock, they are not glossy per se but they aren't dull either. They are not on the labels. These are pretty cool and Chuck may have hit the lotto. One of the first "new" things I have seen in years that i could genuinely say was cool.
Thanks for that info, Glyn. I agree that it is a great find. But, I'm still wondering - what does "printed on the labels" refer to then, if the cards are all on cardstock?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:02 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Card Stock

From what I have been told they (any known copies)are on card stock as is the roberts from the catalog, according to my source. The individual i immediately sent photos too stated he believes they are authentic. this individual is in my opinion the most knowledgable individual on odd vintage sports cards in the world. I trust his opinion absolutely, as would most who know him. To be honest when i first saw pics my gut said no good but i wasn't positive. my friend has me convinced the other way now and after having seen them i believe they are vintage as well.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-30-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
Thanks for that info, Glyn. I agree that it is a great find. But, I'm still wondering - what does "printed on the labels" refer to then, if the cards are all on cardstock?
It means you get the cards of the stars that are listed on the label. Apparently the checklist was written there so you know who was included.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Ben W.hitener

If PSA will grade these you hit a major jackpot if you are looking to sell. Sweet pieces. Congrats!!!
Old 10-31-2017, 03:45 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
It means you get the cards of the stars that are listed on the label. Apparently the checklist was written there so you know who was included.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I was thrown off by the label image that ChuckW posted, thinking it was from the redemption deal, but it was apparently from a non-redemption can. Plus, the ungrammatical wording "photos of stars printed on label."