NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

Default HOBBY versus INDUSTRY; what %? as it pertains to prewar

what % of the buyers/sellers/collectors buy/trade/sell as a hobby only versus as a business only? of course most are a mix of both so whats the blend?

I see it as 20-25% strictly 'hobby' collectors and

5-10% as strictly 'industry' people with little or no love for the product

65-75% are in the gray

thoughts?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Sounds like a reasonable percentage. I assume most collectors do some selling.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Sounds like a reasonable percentage. I assume most collectors do some selling.
Because of the way the original question is worded, I disagree. Because it states what % buy/sell/trade as a hobby only...I believe it is more like 45 to 55%, as not only do a lot collectors not sell at all, but there is even greater amount that trade/sell only to further their collecting goals. I think there are about 30 to 35% that are more a hybrid of collector/flipper, and about 10 to 15% that are minimally interested in the cards themselves.

Brian - a man of discriminating percentages
Old 10-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Because of the way the original question is worded, I disagree. Because it states what % buy/sell/trade as a hobby only...I believe it is more like 45 to 55%, as not only do a lot collectors not sell at all, but there is even greater amount that trade/sell only to further their collecting goals. I think there are about 30 to 35% that are more a hybrid of collector/flipper, and about 10 to 15% that are minimally interested in the cards themselves.

Brian - a man of discriminating percentages
Well-respected dealer Tony Arnold once told me (after I purchased a not inexpensive '53-'54 Briggs Meat Willie Mays from him) that he was both a dealer and a collector, and I was quite surprised. I myself tried that for awhile in the late '90's, running ads in Sports Collector's Digest under the name, "Forever Summer Cards." The problem I ran into was that I was extremely inclined to keep the best stuff rather than flip it for a profit when I had the chance. Tony gave me an interesting analogy, stating it probably was a little like being both drug dealer and user (which Tony is most emphatically not--he has been nothing other than the epitome of honesty and straight dealing in all of our interactions--I can recommend him quite highly). On the other hand, I once asked Bill Goodwin, who is also an immensely honest and fair and square dealer/auctioneer, if he personally collected anything, and his response was "only my mistakes."

I guess my point is that lots of us really like having the history of the game right there in our hands, and the line between collecting and being a dealer in this context is often quite tough to draw and maintain. Bill obviously has passion for the hobby, but quite a bit of self-discipline.

May you collecting be joyful,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM

I meant to only be a collector ... BUT when there's a big lot that has something you need in it ... you grab it. Then you have stuff to get rid of. I tried the trading route for a while. But that was so much work. So selling it is just easier. Get the cash. You can use cash to buy whatever else is next.

As the collection become bigger ... the stuff to sell became bigger too.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 10-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I started out as a collector only for quite a few years. Then I started flipping a few of my mistakes and dupes. Next thing I was collecting AND buying and selling. I don't know the percentages so will go with what has been stated. Flipping cards keeps it more fun for me too....To each their own. Keep it above board and Do what makes ya' happy.