NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Default New Discovery of a 1914 Hank Gowdy -.- H & S Decal Bat 17.5 inches

This Bat was recently discovered at an estate sale. After doing extensive research, I am only aware of 1 other Bat like it and that player is Eddie Collins.

1914 was the very first year for the NABF and in my opinion this Bat was used during the Baltimore Championship Series as a salesman sample to advertise for H & S.

This Bat appears to be in great shape for being 100 years old and 90% of the decal is intact. It measures 17.5 inches.

Any other help or information on this Bat would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151128_171316.jpg (84.2 KB, 519 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151128_171337.jpg (77.8 KB, 516 views)
Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM

Still looking for information. I have definitely hit a road block. Happy Holidays!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:55 AM
bobby

Default i dont believe it is a salesman sample?.

there is plenty of info to the federal league and there attempt to buy players to justify they were a major league organization.
I cant find any info that Gowdy was part of it but I would believe he was approached?. he only played 3 games in 1913 for what reason I don't no.
but was a major part of the 1914 red sox world series.
THE BAT. my opinion is not a salesman sample they wouldn't describe just one game on the center label. from what I read about this series before responding to this was that there was some very big time players that attended this series and contracts were offered to many of them?.
Eddie Collins was part of the federal league. because of the Gowdy bats existence I assume the federal league thought they had him?.
I believe this bat has some historic value to the 1912-15 era of baseball when players tried to get more money for there skills that worked and failed during this time period.
This bat is the reason I feel so strongly about there value to baseball history they were only available for a very short period and one of the most important time periods of baseball history.every decal bat has a very influential player on it that in one way or another made a very important contribution to the game. you have a bat that is one of a kind? and I think this is the problem with the value of them.
thousands of collectors can attempt to put a T 206 set together without Wagner and be able to consider there set complete.
how many people can put a complete decal bat set together not thousands.
This is the problem with these bats there just is not enough of them for hundreds of collectors to get involved.
If someone wanted to put a mini decal bat set together they could.
your bat would be a variation like a rare back card and probably not considered as part of the set?.
Mini bat collectors are as rare as the bats are.
I believe the H&B museum should have a place just for them.
Decal bats were not only issued at a important time period of baseball.
They were issued during a very important time period during the transaction from H&S to H&B also.
One day these bats may get the attention they deserve but while there cheep try to add a 12 inch reverse Wagner decal bat to your collection there are a few of them and I believe could go up in time.
there are two kinds don't get the one that dosnt have the H&S logo on it I don't like that one?
Old 01-15-2016, 04:43 PM

Default 1914 Miracle Boston Braves

Hank Gowdy was a star for the National League 1914 Boston Braves not the American League Red Sox.

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 01-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM
pete ullman

cool bat and useful info bobby!
Old 01-16-2016, 11:52 AM
bobby

Default Hank Gowdy

I do not disagree with your info I don't no I read a book. the baseball encyclopedia by Macmillan publishing has Gowdy from 1910 NY 1911 NY & BOS 1912 - 1913 to 1923 BOS and back and forth NY -BOS from 1924 to 1930
World series records 1914 BOS 4 games batted 545 11 At Bats 6 hits 3 doubles and 1 triple 1 HR.
World series Yanks 1923 - 24
I have the federal league stats from 1912 - 15 he is not mentioned in my book
played 17 years in the majors.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 PM
bobby

Default Hank Gowdy N.L.

I WAS WRONG Gowdy did play for the N.L. his entire carrier and not the red sox as I stated. he was part of the 1914 N.L. world series champs.
I did look thru the 1914 federal league rosters of every team Gowdy dose not appear on any team that I can find.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:36 AM

Thank you Bobby for all of your insignt and knowledge on this Bat. I'm also still searching for answers as to the origin. It doesn't make sense that he is on a federal league Bat if he didn't play in that league. If you find anymore info please let me know!

Brian
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM
bobby

Default Hank Gowdy bat

The one thing that I dont understand is why he was even considered for a bat.
Gowdy played 100? games between 1910 - 1913 with 2 teams.
As much as you are looking for information so am I.
In my opinion how does Gowdy qualify for a decal bat in 1914 first good year.
Does he have a card before that I don't no couldn't afford it if he does.
So I believe your bat is very important to helping putting date,s to these bats?.
A 12 inch H&S Gowdy same decal is available today and the seller could honestly say the bat is from the 1910 - 1915 period.
I feel because of your bat I could tell this person that his H&S bat is from 1914-15 this is important to me. dosnt realy matter to him
Can I say the same thing about a 12 inch H&S cobb bat. I could but I might be wrong. were the decals a one time purchase from P&F or was there other purchase.s I cant find a second one. I have a reach Harry Davis decal bat and a burly bat from 1908-1912 who made those decals?
I no that the -.- Collins decal was part of a set that came with wagner and cobb. I have the sheet. Becouse of your bat I will say the Collins ,wagner and cobb of this design were made in 1914?.
I cant say the same about other decal bats from H&S or H&B there are different designs and are placed differently on the bats.
To me these bats are very undervalued and the only way to increase the value of them is for more collectors to get involved. I would trade my 1914? 12 inch cobb bat for a 1914 cobb card just a $10,000 dollar difference. and there are more cobb cards than there are Cobb bats.
A Ty Cobb decal bat is 10 times rarer and better looking than his card? just my opinion.

Last edited by minibatsman; 01-17-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Is that the same decal that was used for the larger Gowdy Decal Bats? Looks like it could be and the same size. I can't tell for sure though. If you google images Hank Gowdy Decal bat you can see examples
Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM
bobby

Default decal size

I have seen a Wagner 34 inch bat that the decal was the same size as the mini bat.
But Hunt auctions had a set of 4 decals from Palm & Fetcheler that were auctioned in 2004? from the Louisville slugger museum. that I think were larger
Old 01-18-2016, 01:11 PM
bobby

Default Baltimore amiture baseball game

I have more stuff to look up but as of right now I believe the game had nothing to do with the federal league. I read a page about the game and it appiers was a very popular game played that day with 80,000 to 110,000 in attendance . but as I tried to search for the men that played in the game I lost the page. and could not find it again.
Collins didn't play for the federal league either from the list I found on the web.
This info is to possibly get others involved and help determain were and why this bat exists.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:56 AM

The National Amateur Baseball Federation (NABF) was established at an organizational meeting in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1914, and is the oldest continually operated national baseball organization in the country.

The NABF is a nonprofit organization run by a number of Officers and Directors from all parts of the United States. These volunteers help keep the organization running smoothly, as regional and national championship tournaments are held coast to coast.

I think I'm on to something. Hank Gowdy played in the 1914 world series and the bat says "Champion Catcher From Boston National League Says". This puts the bat made in 1915. The NABF was originated in Louisville, Kentucky, the same place that this Bat was produced by Hillerich and Sons. By 1916, the company was called Hillerich & Bradsby. So this definitely puts the decal Bat made during 1915.

My opinion, that the bat was made as a promotional sample advertising for the NABF Championship Series in 1915 for the Baltimore teams.

Bobby- thanks for your dedicated research. Atleast we know that this Bat is from 1915.

Brian
Old 01-19-2016, 12:52 PM
bobby

Default 1915 Gowdy bat

I agree that you have determined exactly were and when two decal bats camel from. that's rare and I thank you for posting the bat. I enjoyed the conversations made a mistake or two but also learned something from it.
I also believe your bat got a few others interested in them.
And maybe get other collectors to post there mini bats.