NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I've often contemplated the same about identical screened images that vary in size. How did 1960s technology handle that?

Kyle?
I dunno. I wasn't born 'til the 1980s

Nah, I think the sizing was all done in the darkroom when the pen + ink drawing of the original artwork was translated from paper to transparency. I'm a little confused as to how the old timers did this, but I think they took a photograph of the drawing; created a negative thereof; then developed the image into a positive on transparent paper that was whatever size they desired?

When I make a pennant, I usually draw my artwork on paper; scan it; then print the scan directly on to transparent paper specially designed for an ink jet printer. I'll then place that printed transparency atop my emulsion coated screen, expose it to UV light, then wash it out. If all goes right, I'm left with a stencil capable of reproducing the crisp details of my intended design.
Old 01-04-2023, 05:34 PM
Rick

Let me preface this post by saying that I know less about pennants than most (if not all) of you on this thread. To me, the history of the event or time period the pennant is tied to is more important than the pennant’s aesthetics, and I like finding photos that picture specific pennants I have in my collection. I believe I have 2 early 1957-58 LA Dodger pennants that were made up for special events and not sold publicly. I also have a third pennant that also dates to a 1958 event, but I am unsure if it was also sold to the public.

here is the first one, I will post the other 2 later.

A huge civic welcoming luncheon honors the Dodgers on Oct 28, 1957 at the Statler Hotel in Los Angeles. Pictures of the event are below, and show a huge room filled with tables and mostly men in suits, and pennants like the one pictured below appear to be the centerpieces on each table. There is also a picture of O’Malley with people waving the pennants around him.
1957 welcome dinner.jpg
1957 welcome dinner 2.jpg
1957 welcome dinner 3.jpg

The pennant measures approximately 12” x 18” and is screen printed. There is no spine, the pennant was stapled to a small stick instead. The city of LA organized the event and I imagine they wanted to keep costs down, which probably resulted in the smaller size and lack of a spine being sewn on. In addition, the luncheon was only a couple of weeks after Walter O’Malley announced the team would move there from Brooklyn, so time could have also been a factor in the simplicity of the construction. Given the number apparently produced for the event, it is somewhat surprising to me that this pennant doesn’t appear for sale very often. The only other one I have seen lately came from the Vin Scully collection.

Rick
Old 01-04-2023, 05:53 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Let me preface this post by saying that I know less about pennants than most (if not all) of you on this thread. To me, the history of the event or time period the pennant is tied to is more important than the pennant’s aesthetics, and I like finding photos that picture specific pennants I have in my collection. I believe I have 2 early 1957-58 LA Dodger pennants that were made up for special events and not sold publicly. I also have a third pennant that also dates to a 1958 event, but I am unsure if it was also sold to the public.

here is the first one, I will post the other 2 later.

A huge civic welcoming luncheon honors the Dodgers on Oct 28, 1957 at the Statler Hotel in Los Angeles. Pictures of the event are below, and show a huge room filled with tables and mostly men in suits, and pennants like the one pictured below appear to be the centerpieces on each table. There is also a picture of O’Malley with people waving the pennants around him.
Attachment 551154
Attachment 551155
Attachment 551156

The pennant measures approximately 12” x 18” and is screen printed. There is no spine, the pennant was stapled to a small stick instead. The city of LA organized the event and I imagine they wanted to keep costs down, which probably resulted in the smaller size and lack of a spine being sewn on. In addition, the luncheon was only a couple of weeks after Walter O’Malley announced the team would move there from Brooklyn, so time could have also been a factor in the simplicity of the construction. Given the number apparently produced for the event, it is somewhat surprising to me that this pennant doesn’t appear for sale very often. The only other one I have seen lately came from the Vin Scully collection.

Rick
This is awesome! Great shape, too. Maybe some people took them home but I’d guess more were left at the table and thrown away.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:10 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
This is awesome! Great shape, too. Maybe some people took them home but I’d guess more were left at the table and thrown away.
That makes sense Greg. People may have taken them home and given them to their kids if the pennant had more artistic merit (like depicting a batter swinging or pitcher throwing). It is pretty plain.

Rick
Old 01-04-2023, 06:37 PM

If only someone had thought to save the "Welcome LOS ANGELES DODGERS" banner; or the equally awesome "THE GREATEST CATCH IN BASEBALL" banner!

Great stuff, Rick!

Last edited by Domer05; 01-04-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:40 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
If only someone had thought to save the "Welcome LOS ANGELES DODGERS" banner; or the equally awesome "THE GREATEST CATCH IN BASEBALL" banner!

Great stuff, Rick!
Thanks Kyle. That "Greatest Catch" banner would be amazing if it still existed. I'm working on the next write-up.

Rick
Old 01-05-2023, 07:33 AM
Rob

Great memento, Rick!
Old 01-05-2023, 04:42 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Great memento, Rick!
Thanks Rob. Your “commemorating the first game” pennant is certainly more eye-catching.

Rick
Old 01-05-2023, 05:48 PM
Gary

Very cool pennant Rick

Out of curiosity, did you get it from someone who was at the event?
Old 01-05-2023, 05:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Thanks Rob. Your “commemorating the first game” pennant is certainly more eye-catching.

Rick
Yes, it is, but I don’t have “the real deal”….I have Kyle’s reproduction, which is the next best thing. I could have bought a beautiful original for $750, 20+ years ago. I wish I had.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:13 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Very cool pennant Rick

Out of curiosity, did you get it from someone who was at the event?
Unfortunately not. In all likelihood some of my family was probably at the luncheon as they were season ticket holders from Day 1. But they weren't the type to have held on to things like pennants anyway.

Rick
Old 01-05-2023, 06:24 PM
Rick

Quote:
Yes, it is, but I don’t have “the real deal”….I have Kyle’s reproduction, which is the next best thing. I could have bought a beautiful original for $750, 20+ years ago. I wish I had.
Sorry Rob, thought you had managed to get one. At least you have Kyle's amazing pennant.

Rick
Old 01-07-2023, 10:48 AM

Default Deadstock pennant group

Hey guys,
I haven’t been on net54 as much as I used to, but wanted to share a cool Deadstock pennant collection that I picked up in my latest YouTube video. These were unsold stock for the most part.

https://youtu.be/kT-kZvs27Eo
Old 01-07-2023, 05:22 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjavic View Post
Hey guys,
I haven’t been on net54 as much as I used to, but wanted to share a cool Deadstock pennant collection that I picked up in my latest YouTube video. These were unsold stock for the most part.

That is jaw dropping! Good luck selling 274 pennants!
Old 01-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Hey guys,

Nice video Keith. Nice pick up as well.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:39 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Hey guys,
I haven’t been on net54 as much as I used to, but wanted to share a cool Deadstock pennant collection that I picked up in my latest YouTube video. These were unsold stock for the most part. https://youtu.be/kT-kZvs27Eo
So cool to watch, some great pennants in there and you will do very well on your investment. I wonder where in the world those had been sitting for the last 60 or so years!
Old 01-09-2023, 05:33 AM

Thanks for watching guys. Rob - this collection is relatively small in terms of other pennant lots I’ve bought. Check out the 30k pennant collection I bought in a previous video - I’ll be tackling that one for years.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:45 PM
Rob

What's wrong with this picture?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Championship.jpg (207.3 KB, 190 views)
Old 01-13-2023, 08:59 PM
Marc

Fooball?
Old 01-14-2023, 08:45 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Fooball?
1956...The year of the great Proofreaders strike. Some how this got by. And there is no corrected version. They just went with it.

"Damnit Jim...There's no time for a T!"

https://youtu.be/_suzpmJ8nGc
Old 01-14-2023, 10:27 AM
Rob

That’s a great pennant. Yours? Rare?
Old 01-14-2023, 11:15 AM
Rob

Quote:
That’s a great pennant. Yours? Rare?
This one is not mine but I do have one. Pretty rare.

Last edited by Fballguy; 01-14-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:26 PM
Mike Steiner

Default Sox pennant

I'm not a pennant guy, but I really like this Sox pennant. What can you guys tell me about it? Authentic or repro? It's getting a lot of attention on ebay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (186.5 KB, 175 views)

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 01-14-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
I'm not a pennant guy, but I really like this Sox pennant. What can you guys tell me about it? Authentic or repro? It's getting a lot of attention on ebay.
It’s vintage, no question.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:17 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought we weren't outing live auctions here. Obviously it's authentic.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-14-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:07 PM
Mike Steiner

Quote:
I thought we weren't outing live auctions here. Obviously it's authentic.
I figured I'd get that response, but it's kind of hard to out an auction with sixteen bids. Trust me......I wouldn't have asked with only a couple bids.

https://whitesoxshorts.com/
Old 01-14-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I figured I'd get that response, but it's kind of hard to out an auction with sixteen bids. Trust me......I wouldn't have asked with only a couple bids.
Here’s the version likely made a couple years earlier, same design, three sets of tassels, tag on back (Wabash Pennant Co., Chicago) but all embroidered. Perhaps suggests that the advent or spread of silk screening fell in between, so we’re likely looking at early 1910s for both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70225F3B-EFC6-4791-BCEB-B516BC849979.jpg (238.8 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-14-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Nah, I get it. Just frustration coming out...the result of waiting literally years for a good one to surface, after spending every day weeding through the endless junk and mass produced crap. eBay ain't what it used to be, as pennants like this used to show up somewhat frequently.
Old 01-15-2023, 05:54 AM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
What's wrong with this picture?
Love that pennant. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that football was played at Yankee Stadium. Who knew.
Old 01-15-2023, 07:05 AM
Erik

A few additions I’ve made over the last 1/2 year. Nothing previously unseen and I’m sure Greg and Mark probably have all in better condition

Happy Sunday!
Old 01-15-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
A few additions I’ve made over the last 1/2 year. Nothing previously unseen and I’m sure Greg and Mark probably have all in better condition

Happy Sunday!
Erik, very nice. Your ‘63 LAD is in exceptional condition, I have one but it is faded. Yours is the first I’ve seen with vibrant colors. Never saw that Angels before, either. Love the Braves, it appears to be an early Keezer based on construction.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:37 AM
Rob

Quote:
Here’s the version likely made a couple years earlier, same design, three sets of tassels, tag on back (Wabash Pennant Co., Chicago) but all embroidered. Perhaps suggests that the advent or spread of silk screening fell in between, so we’re likely looking at early 1910s for both.
Is the “tiger tag” on the back of the ebay pennant also Wabash Pennant Co.?
Old 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Is the “tiger tag” on the back of the ebay pennant also Wabash Pennant Co.?
No, it is not....

The eBay pennant was screen printed; and, the label on the back bearing the silhouette of a tiger is the mark of The Reproduction Co. of NY.

I remember that Wabash version.... Wabash was a Chicago-based pennant maker doing business in the early turn of the century. Obviously, someone copied the other maker's work. The Wabash pennant, you'll note, was sewed letter--not screen printed.

These two pennants illustrate an interesting point concerning ca. 1910 base ball pennants: not all makers had access to the screen printing method!

I just posted some new content on Repco over on Pennant Factory, for those interested in learning more about them and their work....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-13 214912.jpg (78.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-13 215005.jpg (133.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-15 092356.jpg (46.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-01-15 093041.jpg (109.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-15-2023, 10:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
No, it is not....

The eBay pennant was screen printed; and, the label on the back bearing the silhouette of a tiger is the mark of The Reproduction Co. of NY.

I remember that Wabash version.... Wabash was a Chicago-based pennant maker doing business in the early turn of the century. Obviously, someone copied the other maker's work. The Wabash pennant, you'll note, was sewed letter--not screen printed.

These two pennants illustrate an interesting point concerning ca. 1910 base ball pennants: not all makers had access to the screen printing method!

I just posted some new content on Repco over on Pennant Factory, for those interested in learning more about them and their work....
I knew you’d know!

edit: If you make a repro of the Repco Giants, put me down for one!

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 01-15-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:57 PM

Lousy condition aside, my brain can’t process this pennant …

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25593500680...vi4YQ&LH_BIN=1
Old 01-18-2023, 08:15 PM
Rob

Quote:

I like the six little pink shacks out front!

So…..is this a known pennant or what?
Old 01-18-2023, 09:25 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Never seen a 1969 version like that. I wonder if the MLB logo was added to old stock to make them salable.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Never seen a 1969 version like that. I wonder if the MLB logo was added to old stock to make them salable.
Can't think of a better explanation. It must've sat dormant for over a decade before someone decided to slap on that MLB logo. Whatever the explanation, that one wins the ugly award for January.

Last edited by perezfan; 01-18-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Can't think of a better explanation. It must've sat dormant for over a decade before someone decided to slap on that MLB logo. Whatever the explanation, that one wins the ugly award for January.
Oh, I’m sure if we tried, we could find uglier.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:46 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:

Only thing is it looks like it's got synthetic piping on it. This woven material generally started in mid 50's up thru late 60's. I wonder if it was just a bunch of material laying around that "they" decided to use. It doesn't look like the MLB was added later. Appears to be same screen. Very strange.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:30 AM
Jim Murphy

New to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 812D684E-F186-4F09-8599-1F6F17FB47EA.jpg (195.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Only thing is it looks like it's got synthetic piping on it. This woven material generally started in mid 50's up thru late 60's. I wonder if it was just a bunch of material laying around that "they" decided to use. It doesn't look like the MLB was added later. Appears to be same screen. Very strange.
It’s a great looking design and I always figured it was late 50s, early 60s. That Yankee Stadium graphic does date back to 1957 WS pennants. Hard to find not faded. This is the first I’ve seen with the ‘69 trademark, Trenches with that stamp usually just show the official team logo.

Last edited by thetahat; 01-19-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:01 AM
Gary

Quote:
Oh, I’m sure if we tried, we could find uglier.
Actually, if it wasn't for all the moth holes, I think it looks kind of cool.

I have one of these Cleveland Pennants but I think it's got to be on the short list for the ugliest pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleveland Indians CLIN028-KEEZ.jpg (202.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 09:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
New to me
Cool. West Coast Concessionaires.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Actually, if it wasn't for all the moth holes, I think it looks kind of cool.

I have one of these Cleveland Pennants but I think it's got to be on the short list for the ugliest pennant.
Here's another Keezer "gem" that might qualify for the infamous short list. Not their best mascot, IMHO. Zoom in on it, to see his hands alone might be the most annoying thing ever depicted on a pennant. And his ears are not much better. Not Keezer's finest moment...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36406980818...Bk9SR-7dsK65YQ

Last edited by perezfan; 01-19-2023 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Since the conversation has taken a temporary "detour" to address ugly pennants, here are a couple of other nominations.

Will the new trend among eBay sellers be to cut away the left and right sides, leaving only the middle portion.... thus calling them "mini pennants"? These made me laugh...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18457924577...Bk9SR9K5hbO5YQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18457919574...Bk9SR9K5hbO5YQ
Old 01-19-2023, 11:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
Since the conversation has taken a temporary "detour" to address ugly pennants, here are a couple of other nominations.

Will the new trend among eBay sellers be to cut away the left and right sides, leaving only the middle portion.... thus calling them "mini pennants"? These made me laugh...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18457924577...Bk9SR9K5hbO5YQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18457919574...Bk9SR9K5hbO5YQ
$14.85 shipping for those beauty's!
Old 01-19-2023, 11:57 AM
Rob

This one, although rare, will always be in the discussion of ugly pennants. Who made this, anyway? Tassels are pretty distinctive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2801.jpg (165.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 01:46 PM
Gary

Yep, that SFG pennant is right up there in the ugly stakes.

Here's 3 new arrivals today. Of the 3, the Oliva was the most exciting for me. Pretty hard to find and the price was a bargain.

Anyone have any info about the Tony Conigliaro mini pennant? I've not been able to find another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230119_203656.jpg (202.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 01-19-2023, 01:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice pickups! Never seen that Conigliaro, and great find on the Oliva!