NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Default R315's factory cut?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the R315's were ever factory cut into single cards? I have seen many three card panels, not so many singles. I have a hand cut Ruth single that I sent in for grading and SCG will only authenticate due to it's being hand cut. While I'm at it does anyone out there have good information on the set other than the Standard Catalogue type descriptions?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I have no idea on this either, but is it possible that the yellow R315's that use thicker stock were factory cut? I have not seen panels for the yellow ones.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Brad Green

There have been several posts on this forum recently regarding these cards. I have seen lots of singles from the set. Some people (like Leon) have 3 card and 5 card panels that I'm sure he'll show.

I have seen SGC give numeric grades to these cards. I have a Grove that was graded SGC 84 (see scan at bottom). From what I'm told, there is a fine size tolerance that SGC uses when deciding how to grade the particular card.

Here is a link to my website which shows all of the cards from the set:
http://www.bandkgreen.net/R315

More information is available at the Old Cardboard link below:
http://www.oldcardboard.com/r/r315/r...?cardsetID=873

Last edited by leftygrove10; 07-11-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few

Yeap, we just had a recent thread about these....as far as hand cut vs factory cut...I am not sure. I think many were issued as vertical strips and that's why we see them fairly often in uncut form. On the other hand I have only seen this one horizontal type strip. As with any strip card I am sure it's how they are cut, and more importantly how close they are cut, which determines a numerical or AUT grade.....regards

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pr315stripx5f.jpg (72.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Brad Green

Leon.... I had not noticed this before, but your horizontal strip has four Type B cards and one Type D card (the Reynolds). I wonder why they made the Reynolds card differently? I would have thought that all of the cards on a given strip would be the same Type. For example, your vertical strip are all Type A's.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hi Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftygrove10 View Post
Leon.... I had not noticed this before, but your horizontal strip has four Type B cards and one Type D card (the Reynolds). I wonder why they made the Reynolds card differently? I would have thought that all of the cards on a given strip would be the same Type. For example, your vertical strip are all Type A's.
Hi Brad
I have noticed that too. I really don't have a theory why they did 2 different types of printing on one strip..and I am not sure the horizontal strip was even a normal production run either, given it's scarcity.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Thanks Gents, I'll definately call SCG about any specfic card measurements in order to get a numerical grade, they were adamant that these came factory cut.

Neat story (at least I think so) as to how I got this. In the 80's I was 12 and my neighbors Grandfather called him to say he found 2 boxes of cards in his attic and would bring them by for him when he visited. Can imagine how crazy our 12 year old minds were going! He brought two boxes of 315 panels, probably had 30 in each box. We were disapointed that they were not "real" cards at the time! The Ruth was the only one that had been cut and I convinved my neighbor to give it to me. I often wonder where those boxes are now!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Neat story (at least I think so) as to how I got this. In the 80's I was 12 and my neighbors Grandfather called him to say he found 2 boxes of cards in his attic and would bring them by for him when he visited. Can imagine how crazy our 12 year old minds were going! He brought two boxes of 315 panels, probably had 30 in each box. We were disapointed that they were not "real" cards at the time! The Ruth was the only one that had been cut and I convinved my neighbor to give it to me. I often wonder where those boxes are now!
That is a neat story. I have seen a few panels over the years, but not that many. I have seen FAR MORE single cards than panels. I had the opportunity to buy a panel with Grove on it several years ago. I think it was a reasonable price, but I passed on it at the time. If given another opportunity to purchase a panel with Grove on it, I would probably take it.

Could you please post a scan of your Ruth? If you don't know how, send it to me and I'll post a scan. My email address is brad_green@cox.net
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

About the Reynolds on Leons horizontal strip...

The "type C" and "type D" shouldnt really be a type, those 6 players are ONLY found that way and not any other way. Its just a card design difference (script name within the image) for those players and not a variation.

The six players that come as ONLY type C or type D are Cissell, Clancy, Hendricks, Jolley, Reynolds, and Shires.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Brad,

I wish I knew what I was looking at back then, I should have offerred my neighbor anything he wanted for them! They were all the the vertical stacks and still in the boxes!

SCG sent the card on the 6th so I should have it any day. When it's in hand I'll post the scan. I'm curious what 54 members think of the cut. I assumed all of the singles were hand cut and it would not present a grading issue, unless it was a terrible cut.

Last edited by brob28; 07-11-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Todd Schultz

The same can be said for type "A" and type "B"--they are only found in that format.

Five of the 6 C/D are White Sox, only the Hendricks (sic) is not, and I believe him to be the scarcest in the set.

It is unclear to me whether the C/Ds were included in the strips to replace others from the set or as additions. I believe Koenig is slightly more difficult than most--maybe he was replaced-- and personally I see fewer Lazzeri, Waner and Wilsons than the other HOFers, but I really haven't really noted any other scarcities.

I believe the cards were factory cut as singles, but don't know if panels were intended to make it to the public or it just ended up that way. Some of the cards are so horribly off center, yet with straight cuts, that I find it hard to believe a human would have done that on purpose.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:46 PM

Brad,
What's up with the spelling of Athletics on your Lefty Grove card? Are they
all that way, or is yours some sort of known variation. I hadn't seen that
kind of misprint before.
Thanks,
- Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Tony Quinn

My only example has a numeric grade...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Traynor.jpg (77.4 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Brad,
What's up with the spelling of Athletics on your Lefty Grove card? Are they
all that way, or is yours some sort of known variation. I hadn't seen that
kind of misprint before.
Thanks,
- Dave
All of the Grove cards have "ATHEETICS" instead of "ATHLETICS". His card is the only one that way. All of the other players (Simmons, Foxx, etc) have "ATHLETICS" rather than "ATHEETICS".
Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Brad Green

Default Type B and Type D variations...

Someone else told me recently that the Type B and Type D cards even have different variations for a given player. The Type B and Type D cards have the position and team listed in the bottom border. For some of the players, the listing in the bottom border is different. I can't remember the specifics, but in some cases the players card has "PHILADELPHIA" while in other cases it has "PHILA". There are also variations in the positions. The same player may have "FIELDER" or "FIRST BASE". I can't imagine trying to put together a master set of R315's, but I think there are some that are trying to do that.

I am still looking for an untrimmed copy of Lefty's Type B R315 (position and team in the bottom border) if someone happens to have an extra one.... brad_green@cox.net
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

What I ment to say... there are 4 types listed but not a single player is found in more than 2 of them... so there really should be 2 types, one with caption at bottom and one without.

Yes there are variations within the border caption too, but I dont have a list of them.

The card stock also has variations, not to mention the yellow tint with thicker rougher stock.
ie.
type A has a white back
type B has a tan back
type C has a white back
type D has a white back
Yellow tint has a gray back
(does anyone have cards that doesnt match this list?)

A

B

C

D

Yellow
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Brad, sorry for the delay with the scan, it took me a while to figure out my new scanner. Anyway, here it is: the top and bottom cuts on this one are pretty sloppy, but I still like the card & now I know how to upload images into my posts.

Cheers!

Ruth #3002.jpg
Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 AM
Brad Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Brad, sorry for the delay with the scan, it took me a while to figure out my new scanner. Anyway, here it is: the top and bottom cuts on this one are pretty sloppy, but I still like the card & now I know how to upload images into my posts.
Thanks.... I love the pose on Ruth's R315.... And there is a great story behind that particular card.... Very cool.....
Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Jeff

Default R315 master set

I am trying for a master set of these though I am uncertain which cards exist or do not exist. In Bill's post above, he mentions the backs for Type A, B, etc. I have cards that do not fit that pattern. For example, I have a Type A Herman and Hubbell with tan backs. Also have a Hubbell Type B with a white back. Not sure the backs were mutually exclusive to a particular type.
I remember attending a card show many years ago where someone was selling vertical strips of 3. Picked up one of Ftizsimmons, Koenig, and Zachary. There were other player combinations going for some good money. Did not have enough to get a Ruth or such.
Do the players in either Type C or D only come in one of those types or have players in Type C also have a card in Type D format?
I have about 30 extra cards in this set and would love to trade or buy for the remaining ones I need to finish a "master" set. So if you just want an example of a particular player and do not care what type it is, please let me know.
Need Type A: Frisch, Haas, Klein, Terry and Traynor. Need Type B: Benton, Fredericks, Grimes, Grove, Koenig, O'Farrell, Wilson, and Zachary. Need in yellow stock: Bengough, Cissell, Clancy, Hendricks, Jackson, Jolley, Simmons, Traynor, and Waner.

Last edited by wrapperguy; 07-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.