NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM

Default Centering

Ended on eBay were two 1940 Playball Ted Williams' cards. The SGC 80 sold for about $50. less than the SGC 70. Significantly better centering on the SGC 70, I was underbidder, darn it. Centering counts big, even over a higher technical grade.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Robert Williams

No doubt....I sold a Kaline rookie SGC 6 with pretty poor centering. It sold for around what '4's go for.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will pay way more for a card with great centering than one without it, as a type collector. It is being more difficult, as there are 220+ needed, but a lot of fun doing it with the T205s. Centering on individual cards is usually key for me and the technical grade isn't really important at all.... ..As I restock a few faves, T205 Cobb and Goudey 144 Ruth, it will be centering that is very/most important.... This 3rd of 3 faves is close to unimprovable in the centering dept....back for an encore...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe901youngpsa2a.jpg (77.4 KB, 571 views)
Old 10-11-2017, 07:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Ended on eBay were two 1940 Playball Ted Williams' cards. The SGC 80 sold for about $50. less than the SGC 70. Significantly better centering on the SGC 70, I was underbidder, darn it. Centering counts big, even over a higher technical grade.
As the potential buyers dwindle on these items, the active buyers get to be more picky and that to me is why centering keeps going up value wise.

Its not like T206 wagner cards centering is the main thing...

but yeah when you have 2,000 cards to pick from and less than 200 buyers of those cards to pay the prevailing 'market' rates, centering becomes the it thing.

you can see on ebay for many vintage cards 20 or so listings of a psa 4-6 card HOF for example in the 60s but none centered well..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-11-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
As the potential buyers dwindle on these items, the active buyers get to be more picky and that to me is why centering keeps going up value wise.

Its not like T206 wagner cards centering is the main thing...

but yeah when you have 2,000 cards to pick from and less than 200 buyers of those cards to pay the prevailing 'market' rates, centering becomes the it thing.

you can see on ebay for many vintage cards 20 or so listings of a psa 4-6 card HOF for example in the 60s but none centered well..
I don't think that guys collect nicely centered cards because it is the "it" thing, as you say. Personally, I can't live with an off-centered card. It drives me nuts. Call it OCD or whatever, but I love symmetry. It is just more pleasant to look at. I know that there are many more out there like me.

I collect rare Cobb postcards that have populations FAR lower than the T206 Wagner, and while I may be forced to buy an off-centered copy because it may be the last time I will see one for 10 years, I would hate the card. It would irk me into madness. On more common cards, it isn't a matter of how much more I would pay for the centered one, because the off-centered one isn't even a consideration. I doubt that the bidders on the two Play Ball cards were even the same guys. We collectors are a special kind of crazy.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I don't think that guys collect nicely centered cards because it is the "it" thing, as you say. Personally, I can't live with an off-centered card. It drives me nuts. Call it OCD or whatever, but I love symmetry. It is just more pleasant to look at. I know that there are many more out there like me.
My centering OCD isn't too bad, I have a harder time with weak images (faded, out of focus, etc). Of course I'd like a card with great centering and image, but if I have to choose I'll pick the strong image every time. Just my personal preference.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Jason Greco

Good centering obviously makes for better presentation, as well as coloring and focus, and all of that. Would you guys agree that for the most part a PSA with a (MC) would go for less than a PSA of the same grade with (MK), assuming the mark is on the reverse?

For the record, I don't care for the qualifiers. If a 4 with "(MC)" is really a 2, just give it a 2.
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315

Last edited by greco827; 10-12-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Todd

Default Perfectly Imperfect...

I totally get the centering thing - and if a well centered card is within my budget - I'll go for it. ...but I really don't mind off-centered cards. Nothing in life has ever been perfect and the same goes with my collection. Haha Plus - an off-centered card is a bit easier on the wallet!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Rick Seuferer

My OCD can't deal with off center cards. I'll take a well centered card with a dinged corner over razor sharp corners on a 80/20 centered card any day.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Bob Davies

I must be in the minority, and have been for 30 years. for a mid-grade card, I look at the corners first. I prefer a card in nicer shape and a little OC, rather than a card with rounded corners and nice centering.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:00 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I don't recall anyone caring about centering when I got into collecting in the 80s. Presumably they did, but I wasn't aware of it as an issue until I started seeing PSA cards with "(OC)" on the slab when I got back into collecting about 15 years ago.

I think the rule of thumb is:
OC cards sell for 2 grades lower,
MC cards sell for 3 grades lower,
MC cards (T206) sell for 0-4 grades higher depending on severity.

Makes sense.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

You may be right in terms of prices people paid. At that time, we went off price guides and didn't have access to all the cards that we have now with the internet. My choices in the 80's were my local card shop and the card show that came once a year. We couldn't afford to be picky. But I remember being bugged by off centered cards since I was a kid. My local card shop had an off centered Joe Montana rookie that the kids would drool over. It would be considered a miscut today. I remember just being annoyed by it.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Larry

Quote:

I collect rare Cobb postcards that have populations FAR lower than the T206 Wagner, and while I may be forced to buy an off-centered copy because it may be the last time I will see one for 10 years, I would hate the card. It would irk me into madness. On more common cards, it isn't a matter of how much more I would pay for the centered one, because the off-centered one isn't even a consideration. I doubt that the bidders on the two Play Ball cards were even the same guys. We collectors are a special kind of crazy.
I think that the rarer and more significant the card, Orly, the more tolerant the buyer will be of centering and even condition in general. With the Cobbs you (and I) are talking about, if you don't see one for ten years, it is IMHO quite likely that the price will be significantly higher by that time. A good collectible, measured by such standards, will generally appreciate at around 12% compounded annually, meaning it will double in value every six years. Key cards such as you are speaking of may well do significantly better than that--perhaps 14 or 18% compounded annually, meaning they will double, respectively, every 5 or 4 years. After all, one can always upgrade, provided the funds to do so are available.

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Larry, if I find a Hubel Ty Cobb, it could be missing his head and I would buy it.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Larry, if I find a Hubel Ty Cobb, it could be missing his head and I would buy it.
LOL....I guess centering isn't always too important depending on the card.

Doing a T205 set with great centering is a difficult project. Especially due to upgrading when a better one comes around ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205master2c.jpg (77.3 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-13-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:07 AM
Banned

I’m in the pack fresh over centering camp. Always have been. I don’t remember centering being as big an issue prior to professional grading companies but I may be wrong.
Fortunately it makes participating in the hobby easier on the wallet.
In the 80s I absolutely did not even notice centering or realize it was even a thing. Now since I’ve seen it’s important to lots of collectors I pay more attention since I sometimes sell. I wish I could go back to being oblivious to it ha.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
I’m in the pack fresh over centering camp. Always have been. I don’t remember centering being as big an issue prior to professional grading companies but I may be wrong.
Fortunately it makes participating in the hobby easier on the wallet.
In the 80s I absolutely did not even notice centering or realize it was even a thing. Now since I’ve seen it’s important to lots of collectors I pay more attention since I sometimes sell. I wish I could go back to being oblivious to it ha.
As has been said, centering seems to be more important on stand alone, key cards, than on more common ones. Only a fool would try to do a whole set with great centering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205master1e.jpg (84.1 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by Leon; 10-16-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Hubel Cobb even looks good on a fantasy Ramly. I believe the known population on Cobb Hubel is a mere two. So, would this change the pop to 2.5 if you cut his head off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6366.jpg (68.3 KB, 218 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 10:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I will buy the lower half off you right now. You keep the upper torso.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
I will buy the lower half off you right now. You keep the upper torso.
Hoping to upgrade one day, and then you can have both torsos.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Not close to a fad.

I started doing larger shows like Willow Grove and the Gloria Rothstein shows in 1990, when I turned 18. Before I did the bigger shows I was unaware how much centering mattered to many people. But I have been aware that many advanced collectors have been very keen on centering for at least the last 27 years. Before that I was limited to what I learned at local shows, shops, magazines, books, and antique markets. Centering is NOT a fad and has been a key component in getting top dollar for cards for a long time.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 AM
Duncan

For me centering is as important as focus/registry. The two combined present the best IMO. Corner wear that is even doesn't distract much. I won this at the recent REA auction and to me this is the perfect "affordable" card of a tough rookie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle 1951.jpg (78.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Funny, I’d give up a little centering to have sharp corners. Hate rounded corners. To each his own as they say.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
For me centering is as important as focus/registry. The two combined present the best IMO. Corner wear that is even doesn't distract much. I won this at the recent REA auction and to me this is the perfect "affordable" card of a tough rookie.
Beautiful card. Congrats. That focus on a 51B Mantle is quite rare and special. At a casual viewing distance I also do not notice corner wear; what I notice is image quality and centering. I would prefer to look at that card in a wall case than a blurry PSA 7. Tangentially, a high grade card stands a good chance of having been "worked," in my opinion, and likely the most common thing worked is a corner.

Last edited by MattyC; 11-01-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM
A.J. Johnson

Duncan great card! I'd take yours any day over a higher graded OC!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Emlily Ell.is

My CDO is exactly like yours. Like centered with a small ding on a corner better than off centered with perfect corners. Just me though.

That's why I try to be Ex-Mt to NM for all of my set needs. But even then, I'll get a card occasionally that'll either be creased/bent, which I have a thread about, or having the image basically going off the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmrsport View Post
My OCD can't deal with off center cards. I'll take a well centered card with a dinged corner over razor sharp corners on a 80/20 centered card any day.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
My CDO is exactly like yours. Like centered with a small ding on a corner better than off centered with perfect corners. Just me though.

That's why I try to be Ex-Mt to NM for all of my set needs. But even then, I'll get a card occasionally that'll either be creased/bent, which I have a thread about, or having the image basically going off the card.
My OCD is the opposite. I can't stand cards with damaged corners, creases, writing, etc. I would rather have a card a little off centered over a card that has been abused by a collector. That being said, centering has always been an issue with me. When collecting in the 60s and 70s I always looked for good centering when I had a duplicate of a card.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I struggled with the 1936 World Wide Gum in the recent REA auction. Centering will drive some of you guys to drink. But the card has nice corners and seems to be without other significant flaws. This is not a card I see very often and for the last official Gehrig issue is quite rare. As the write up attests. Struggled with it for weeks but ultimately stepped up and grabbed it. Haven't seen a better one offered in some time, and I suspect the 6s and above will be commanding big bucks. Centering be dammed on this one.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46687
Old 11-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I struggled with the 1936 World Wide Gum in the recent REA auction. Centering will drive some of you guys to drink. But the card has nice corners and seems to be without other significant flaws. This is not a card I see very often and for the last official Gehrig issue is quite rare. As the write up attests. Struggled with it for weeks but ultimately stepped up and grabbed it. Haven't seen a better one offered in some time, and I suspect the 6s and above will be commanding big bucks. Centering be dammed on this one.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46687
That is a nice card.
Just received this in the mail this evening. It can't be overstated that centered cards appeal to more collectors. People always ask what to "invest" in, in cards. Well, don't do it, first of all. But if you must, it usually helps to get something that other people will find appealing. That said, some cards which have been very well loved can be fun too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205brans.jpg (66.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:52 PM
D@vi d B@zi ni

Default Old Judge centering

I'm gonna throw a knuckle curveball into the discussion of centering. How do you determine good centering on an Old Judge card? The cards were photos of bigger photos that had a border template placed on top of them. So "centering" was determined by how symmetrically the border overlay was placed down on the photos combined with how the cards were cut!

Look at the two Ramsey cards. One has left-right borders that are close in size but the image is a bit off-center. The other has asymmetrical left & right borders but with a near perfectly centered image! Which is the "centered card"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toad centering.jpg (43.9 KB, 47 views)