NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Bry@n

Default Watch Out for this '51 Bowman Mantle on Ebay

This is my second time posting one of these, hopefully this will be helpful too.

This lot of 4 ends tomorrow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331893500843...%3AIT#rpdCntId

A few of the typical red flags go up, but the 51 card was not a part of a 90-year-old woman's estate sale. Rather it was bought for $2000 allllllllllll the way back on May 28:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman-...p2047675.l2557

I suspect the 0 bids mean that not too many people are being fooled, but the card isn't horrid and there is a posted question about an authenticity guarantee, so I thought I would post it.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
This is my second time posting one of these, hopefully this will be helpful too.

This lot of 4 ends tomorrow:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331893500843...%3AIT#rpdCntId

A few of the typical red flags go up, but the 51 card was not a part of a 90-year-old woman's estate sale. Rather it was bought for $2000 allllllllllll the way back on May 28:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman-...p2047675.l2557

I suspect the 0 bids mean that not too many people are being fooled, but the card isn't horrid and there is a posted question about an authenticity guarantee, so I thought I would post it.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Wow. Good research!

Hopefully the buyer doesn't have to wait 4 months to get a refund. Lol. Sorry, had to.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:31 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Thanks for the message Bryan. I viewed this item before, and the red flags I had #1 why is the '51 RC not graded, and also the centering on the '56 and '59 cards seem so perfect. Pointing out the "estate sale" description was something I would not have caught. The seller has 100% positive feedback, but the '51 Bowman RC itself looks like a real card to me, what do you see?
Larry

Quote:
A few of the typical red flags go up, but the 51 card was not a part of a 90-year-old woman's estate sale. Rather it was bought for $2000 allllllllllll the way back on May 28

Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Bry@n

Hey Larry,

I don't know a ton about post war so I can't say whether or not the card is good based on looking at it online. I thought it looked pretty good, though perhaps the colors a little too strong (if that is possible), which is why I was checking it out.

What I can say is that that exact same Mantle, wax stain and liquid stain and all, looks like it sold for $2,000 on Ebay in May and is now be sold as part of an estate sale find. My guess is that this seller bought it, PSA rejected it, and now they are trying to pass the buck by listing it with a few other Mantles. Seems fishy so I wanted to post to make sure that people are careful with this one. If it is legit it is a nice deal, but given the card's history I don't see how it can be legit.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Hey Larry,

I don't know a ton about post war so I can't say whether or not the card is good based on looking at it online. I thought it looked pretty good, though perhaps the colors a little too strong (if that is possible), which is why I was checking it out.

What I can say is that that exact same Mantle, wax stain and liquid stain and all, looks like it sold for $2,000 on Ebay in May and is now be sold as part of an estate sale find. My guess is that this seller bought it, PSA rejected it, and now they are trying to pass the buck by listing it with a few other Mantles. Seems fishy so I wanted to post to make sure that people are careful with this one. If it is legit it is a nice deal, but given the card's history I don't see how it can be legit.
right having it an psa holder adds several thousand..but nah, im going to just list it raw and im going to take the time to add some other cards which isnt a normal thing on ebay but not take the time to submit the card in raw to psa..
Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
My guess is that this seller bought it, PSA rejected it, and now they are trying to pass the buck by listing it with a few other Mantles
I thought the same thing, or maybe the card was returned Authentic/Altered (trim job).
Larry
Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I just went back and re-read the item description and the seller is careful to describe the card as "original" also described as "original" in the question that was asked of the seller. So if the cards sell, the new owner submits the card to PSA, and it's returned as Authentic/Altered. The new owner doesn't have a case for return, because the card is as described, "Authentic" (original). I'm actually looking to purchase a '51 Mantle and I would be happy with this card if it would grade Authentic. But at about half the asking price.
Larry
Old 07-04-2016, 05:14 PM
Chris

The corners look a bit unnaturally rounded. I can't say for certain, as the stains on the back look good, but I wouldn't touch it.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 07-04-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default this what the guy said when brough up the prior 'sale'

the person who owns these hired me to sell these cards because the deal fell through last time with his other seller. the story is true that he bought these at a estate sale with real baseball cards. i deal antiques for a living and i believe everything is right with this collection. hope this helps.

i just asked if he would guarantee the card would grade more than an authentic....

the helping with the estate sale deal is the same as 'selling off my collection' 'for my son's medical bills' etc...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 07-04-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If anyone cares to look at the side view of the 4 cards, near the middle of the picture sequence, there is bright white on the corner of Mick, blurred as it might be. That probably isn't a good thing with respect to originality.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:56 PM
Damien.

I almost put a bid in on this. Prior to doing so, i contacted a member on here who thought it could be risky. Ultimately I ended up passing, only an hour later to find this thread. Very grateful for this forum and members already!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think the buyer will be giving a refund as he states he will if they aren't authentic. And he does say in his description-

"4 Original Mickey Mantle Cards 1951 Bowman #253 1958 #150, 1956 #135, 1959 #10"