NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Jon Canfield

Default What We Have Learned About Ty Cobbs With a Ty Cobb Back

It seems about every year about this time, I start a thread about the infamous Ty Cobb backed cards.

What is known about this card's distribution is simple - we know nothing... everything is speculative. Was the card actually distributed in product (ie, the Ty Cobb tin bearing the same factory/district number)? Was it a point of sale give-a-way? Is it part of the T206 set?

Last year, I pointed out that the Cobb back in the REA auction had a wet sheet transfer on the front, seeming to indicate at least 2 sheets of these were printed... This year, the REA Cobb back seems to give us a few more clues...

While looking through the catalog, I noticed right away the back has clear evidence of tobacco staining - identical to what would be seen on a Polar Bear card. Does this mean we can conclusively say that Cobb backed cards were packaged in product instead of a point of sale give-a-way... no. Maybe an early collector had "sloppy fingers" when handling cards after putting a wad into his lip. However, the clear presence of tobacco on the back of the card seems to indicate to me that we may begin to lend credence to the idea that Cobb backed cards were actually packaged with the tobacco.

Thoughts?

Last edited by canjond; 04-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM

The major determining factor in my opinion is that while each of the other 15 cigarette brands features at least 350 subjects, the Cobb back features just one. This alone excludes the card from being in the same class as the rest of the T206 cards. It is more of an ego driven fantasy card than a true T206 issue.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
The major determining factor in my opinion is that each of the other 15 cigarette brands features at least 350 subjects,
Had you read or done your own research with regard to my detailed critiques of your views when you floated this same idea about a month ago, you would realize that this statement is simply not true. Please name the 350+ Uzit, or Drum, or Carolina Brights subjects that qualify those brands as "T206" by your definition.

You are going to have to come up with another arbitrary criteria that does not correspond with the criteria set by the man who coined the name "T206" if you want the other 15 brands to all still be considered "T206" by the "Chicago" definition.

I do not know a single T206 collector who would agree with your criteria for T206 designation. Since you are admittedly (as of a month ago) new to pre-War cards and clearly don't know what you are talking about on this one, why don't you just sit back, listen, and learn.

Didn't you claim to be going away about a week ago anyway?
JimB

Last edited by E93; 04-11-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Jon,
You may have missed it, but there were a couple of extensive threads on this topic just about a month ago.
JimB
Old 04-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
Jon,
You may have missed it, but there were a couple of extensive threads on this topic just about a month ago.
JimB
Jim - must have missed them... my bad
Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Jon,
That is a very interesting observation regarding the tobacco. Perhaps at least some were distributed in tins.
JimB
Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Craig

It is more of an ego driven fantasy card than a true T206 issue.

What?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
It is more of an ego driven fantasy card than a true T206 issue.

What?

I wish there were a few coin collectors in here. They would immediately know what I am talking about. 1913 Liberty Nickel, 1804 Dollar, 1894-S dime.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Default T206 Cobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
I wish there were a few coin collectors in here. They would immediately know what I am talking about. 1913 Liberty Nickel, 1804 Dollar, 1894-S dime.
And every “REAL” coin collector fantasizes about owning one of those hallowed coins. Unfortunately, even if they become available, they are simply unaffordable. I’ve never spoken to a T206 scarce ad back enthusiast that doesn’t dream of owning a Cobb w/a Cobb back.