NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
I don't worry about that at all. Although most here love the game, some here do not, and just love collecting. And as far as the game relating to collecting im not sure it does. Im a huge met fan....sadly. I haven't been to a game now in a few years as the ownership is depressing. Even though I even get free season tix from the wifes job. Though I do read a met blog all the time.

But, in the last few few years I have bought more cards then I ever have, found net54, started collecting prewar & babe ruth cards amongst other things. So even though im not paying the attention to the game as I once did, im more into the hobby then ever.

I also think its more about collecting "old stuff", owning rare pieces of history if you will.

I know the main question is, will the 15-20 year olds now get older and start collecting? My answer would be yes. When I was that age I was in school, paying attention to girls and getting into trouble, the money I had was spent on that not a $500 piece of cardboard. but once a collector settles down, stops the fooling around hes got to collect something!
I agree with this. I don't care for MLB whatsoever but I love the game (and play softball this evening, in a weekly league). I think our hobby is fine. With the advent of the internet I think it actually grew exponentially. I also equate it more to collecting antiques, but with more purpose, than I do collecting cards like we (us old guys) did as a kid. Today's new card collecting is pretty much nothing like what we did. (as far as I remember ).
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM

If you want to help, buy some cheap box of cards and hand out packs during Halloween. You can buy a box of Donruss on ebay for as low as $10 and I'm sure other stuff from that era can be found around that same price or less. Give the kid cards that are 25+ years old, maybe you get them hooked on the hobby or their dad sees it and remembers collecting and gets back into it. Do your part. By reading this far, you agree to do this and if you don't, the penalty is a crease on your favorite card(non-negotiable).
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Jeff P0tter

That reminds me, a few years ago I gave away Ken Griffey Jr. Bobbleheads at Halloween. The nice, full size ones that you bought at the stadium (I had hundreds left over from when the All Star Game was in Seattle and they were just taking up space in my garage). For the first hundred or so kids, I gave them the choice of a piece of candy or a bobblehead. I only gave away one bobblehead for every ten pieces of candy approximately, less than a dozen total. The kids only cared about candy. Next time if I try it with cards I won't give them the option :-)
Old 10-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
If you want to help, buy some cheap box of cards and hand out packs during Halloween. You can buy a box of Donruss on ebay for as low as $10 and I'm sure other stuff from that era can be found around that same price or less. Give the kid cards that are 25+ years old, maybe you get them hooked on the hobby or their dad sees it and remembers collecting and gets back into it. Do your part. By reading this far, you agree to do this and if you don't, the penalty is a crease on your favorite card(non-negotiable).
Actually a great idea!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Cain J.

Quote:
Great idea! I'm handing out packs along with candy.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Gobucsmagic74

You don't have to be an avid modern day baseball fan to rampantly collect vintage baseball cards. The two things do not necessarily go hand in hand and are not dependent on one another. I loved the game as kid and am a casual fan now, but I love collecting vintage cards.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I agree that being a fan of MLB and of the NFL or NBA are not mutually exclusive, but I'm not sure that makes the rise in popularity of other sports relative to baseball irrelevant. I have roughly equal interest in following MLB, NFL, and NCAA football, somewhat less in NCAA basketball and professional tennis, and very little in any other sports -- but over 95% of my sports cards are baseball cards.

If I were slightly more interested in the NFL and/or slightly less in MLB, that could perhaps tip my collection to 95% NFL instead, even though I would still be a baseball fan. Baseball has the advantage of having much more pre-war material to collect than the other sports, so the question I would want to ask is how much of our collecting interest is accounted for by interest in history/antiques/lithography and how much is accounted for by interest in baseball itself. If it's mostly the former I would expect the hobby to remain strong for the next several decades; if it's mostly the latter I wouldn't expect there to be a similarly large group of us 50 years from now, even if there are a hundred million people still around at that time who consider themselves baseball (or beisbol or yakyu or...) fans.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Also realize that the demand for 'past it' collectable genres such as Civil War, WWII, Presidential and political, Nobel Prize winners, history et al is very high now and will be for a long time. The Civil War ended almost 150 years ago and its ephemera is avidly collected today. Most of the veterans of WWII are dead now, but its as big a collectible area as it has ever been. Being historical (antiques) can make things more collectible with time and bring renewed interest.

People often ponder the future of baseball card collecting, wondering who in the future will be interested in collecting memorabilia of dead guys. Babe Ruth died before most of us were born and quit playing before my dad was born-- and his collectibles are as hot as ever. There might be higher demand for Babe Ruth memorabilia today than when he was playing-- and there certainly is you measure demand by prices.

Also, collecting areas are specialty areas-- niches, often far removed from the mainstream television going public. 1800s baseball is a specialty, historical area, a niche market and most people on the street of any age haven't heard of King Kelly or Kid Nichols. Yet, prices for the cards are (obviously) high. So it can be errant to compare a collecting area to mainstream public sentiments. Science Nobel Prize winner autographs, Civil War generals, rare books, Francis Bacon paintings are all small esoteric niche areas that most people don't know or care about about, yet their stuff sells for top dollar.

Last edited by drcy; 10-09-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I certainly see the death knell coming. Whereas in my youth (during the 70's) we collected like crazy, always buying more cards with whatever nickels and dime we could rustle up. After we got our cards home and sorted everything into teams, the very first thing we'd do is trade with our friends, trying to get our favorite players and complete that year's set. Flipping cards was also the norm and yes, you'd put the scrubby players into your bicycle spokes to make that great noise. This is what summers were about and nobody, I mean NOBODY, cared about condition or centering. We would wrap our cards in rubber bands or put bunches of them in our back pockets.

Fast forward to today. A kid goes into a baseball card store, spends the money his mom or dad gave him on a ridiculously overpriced pack of cards. When he finds the ubiquitous insert, he immediately tilts it in the light, checking out the corners and what not and says to his friends, "This is definitely a 9, maybe a 9.5. Hand me that Beckett over there." Does he trade, flip or do anything else but care about the value of the card?? No frickin' way. And before anyone else even has a chance to touch that card, he has it in a soft sleeve and a top loader.

So it's tough to see how these kids will, as they grow older, develop an actual appreciation for the cards themselves. How they tie into the great game of baseball and the wonderment of their youth. They might as well just spend their money on gold instead, like William Devane is always yapping about in those commercials.

And another +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I don't care for MLB whatsoever but I love the game.
Agreed. I hate what MLB has evolved into. I would much rather watch paint dry than watch a MLB game.

Quote:
Until you have some angry mom come knocking at your door wondering why you gave her kid 25 year old gum that made him/her sick

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 10-09-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post

Until you have some angry mom come knocking at your door wondering why you gave her kid 25 year old gum that made him/her sick
Unfortunately, I can see that happening. So, I guess the trick is to only give out packs of cards without gum. The good news here is that many products from the overproduction era were issued without gum, including the Donruss offerings of the late '80s.

Best regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-09-2014, 06:01 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Unfortunately, I can see that happening. So, I guess the trick is to only give out packs of cards without gum. The good news here is that many products from the overproduction era were issued without gum, including the Donruss offerings of the late '80s.

Best regards,

Eric

I had a 1986 topps wax break in my collectibles club at school last year. I explicitly told the 17 year olds not to eat the gum. They still did and I'm happy to report they did not get sick.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Also realize that the demand for 'past it' collectable genres such as Civil War, WWII, Presidential and political, Nobel Prize winners, history et al is very high now and will be for a long time. The Civil War ended almost 150 years ago and its ephemera is avidly collected today. Most of the veterans of WWII are dead now, but its as big a collectible area as it has ever been. Being historical (antiques) can make things more collectible with time and bring renewed interest.

People often ponder the future of baseball card collecting, wondering who in the future will be interested in collecting memorabilia of dead guys. Babe Ruth died before most of us were born and quit playing before my dad was born-- and his collectibles are as hot as ever. There might be higher demand for Babe Ruth memorabilia today than when he was playing-- and there certainly is you measure demand by prices.

Also, collecting areas are specialty areas-- niches, often far removed from the mainstream television going public. 1800s baseball is a specialty, historical area, a niche market and most people on the street of any age haven't heard of King Kelly or Kid Nichols. Yet, prices for the cards are (obviously) high. So it can be errant to compare a collecting area to mainstream public sentiments. Science Nobel Prize winner autographs, Civil War generals, rare books, Francis Bacon paintings are all small esoteric niche areas that most people don't know or care about about, yet their stuff sells for top dollar.
This is exactly what I tell people when they talk about the demise of baseball as a sport and it's popularity going forward.

As vintage baseball card/memorabilia collectors we are both collecting things related to a sport (baseball) and antiques. Not many niches in the antique market have direct correlation to modern times... which actually makes sports antiques unique in that there is a "built-in" gateway to potential future collectors. What we collect IMO has a brighter future than most areas of antiques and of all sports baseball is by far the most tied into its past as most sports have changed sooooooo much since their infancy that they barely resemble each other, then there is baseball.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 10-09-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Matt Payne

Quote:
As probably the youngest collector on this forum I think that I can speak for the amount of collecting at my age (High School). The hobby is fine right now, but in the future I can't agree and say it will be popular or even still around. I can think of maybe 3 kids in my school of 1500 that collect memorabilia. Maybe 2 of those kids collect cards and both like only new stuff. Vintage isnt interesting to them because they dont know the players.