NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2022, 05:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
1) As previously mentioned - whatever the card you choose - be picky about the "right example" - be willing to pay a premium over grade for a card with strong eye appeal and unusual qualities for the grade - especially centering.

That said, I dont know what the 15K gets you in terms of grades of these cards off the top of my head, but these are the cards I would respond to your question with:

1921 Ruth Exhibit
1933 Ruth #144
1952 Willie Mays
1953 Willie Mays
1951 Bowman Mantle
1952 Bowman Mantle
1953 Topps Mantle
1952 Topps Jackie Robinson
T206 Green Cobb
T205 Cobb
1921 Exhibit Ruths are great cards and are a good investment as all of them are however I believe that card as many others have seen such rapid growth in a short time that you maybe able to find others with more upside.

However as a potential real long term investor as you mentioned that maybe a non factor in any that you chose

If you are looking for shorter term I would consider the 1925-1929 Exhibit Ruth Postcards. they are underappreciated in my opinion and have more upside potential.

However I do not believe you can go wrong with any thing that is mentioned in the thread especially over the long term.

Perhaps the only thing to try and avoid cards that are to obscure even from the big Names because sometimes if it is to obscure and does not sell often(in years) the potential buyers do not know what the true worth might be and it also shrinks the number of people that might want to buy it

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-22-2022, 07:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
1921 Exhibit Ruths are great cards and are a good investment as all of them are however I believe that card as many others have seen such rapid growth in a short time that you maybe able to find others with more upside.

However as a potential real long term investor as you mentioned that maybe a non factor in any that you chose

If you are looking for shorter term I would consider the 1925-1929 Exhibit Ruth Postcards. they are underappreciated in my opinion and have more upside potential.

However I do not believe you can go wrong with any thing that is mentioned in the thread especially over the long term.

Perhaps the only thing to try and avoid cards that are to obscure even from the big Names because sometimes if it is to obscure and does not sell often(in years) the potential buyers do not know what the true worth might be and it also shrinks the number of people that might want to buy it
So what you are saying is that I have a collection of cards to avoid? LOL

F272- Unc...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pf272unc1941dimaggio.jpg (195.4 KB, 152 views)
Old 10-22-2022, 07:22 AM
J@mes In.gram

The big takeaway from all this jolly, carefree banter is...if I had (someone gave me) $15,000 I wouldn't spend it on baseball cards, or anything hobby related. I would probably remodel my kitchen. If you're rolling in money, while the rest of us real people try to get by, then go ahead, buy that Ruth or Cobb.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***

Last edited by jingram058; 10-22-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 08:13 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

A Babe Ruth Exhibit, the earlier the better.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Seefeldt View Post
A Babe Ruth Exhibit, the earlier the better.
This seems to be a recurring theme. I do like me a good-looking early Babe Exhibit.
ANWCOLLECTIBLES on Instagram
"If it's not at least a hundred years old, I probably won't want it."
"Yesterday's price, is not today's price."

The goods --> https://www.flickr.com/photos/196575621@N05/albums
Old 10-22-2022, 11:08 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Now that we've heard everyone's opinion on player/card/set, the real question is "at what price point", which has been bantered about earlier in the thread.

Personally, I (in my limited knowledge) see some value/upside in:

25-29 Exhibit Babe Ruth
1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson
1951 Bowman Willie Mays

Myself, I am eager to learn more about some early 20's items that some may feel haven't run up in price compared to others.

Is there such a thing as undervalued early 20th century items?

Old 10-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Timing the market, in the sense of absolute peaks and highs, is a fools errand.

However, it is usually very easy to see when things are on the higher end, or the lower end. If everything has doubled recently, it's usually not the best buying time. When everything has been falling for awhile, it's usually a good buying time.

When the government shifts signaled that there was going to be an economic boom in 2016, I bought quick and then held. When government shifts later signaled that they were going to kill the economy, I stopped buying. A few more months and it will be time to start looking at more buying as things have fallen significantly this year. Will I buy at the bottom? Almost certainly no, but I will be ensuring I am buying at a low point in the market and not a high one.

It's pretty similar for cards. Just like when stocks 'go bad', some actually do well and make big gains if you picked the right ones, but the majority tend to follow the same basic rules. You can't time perfectly, but you can generally ID the better buying times.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorednw View Post
Now that we've heard everyone's opinion on player/card/set, the real question is "at what price point", which has been bantered about earlier in the thread.

Personally, I (in my limited knowledge) see some value/upside in:

25-29 Exhibit Babe Ruth
1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson
1951 Bowman Willie Mays

Myself, I am eager to learn more about some early 20's items that some may feel haven't run up in price compared to others.

Is there such a thing as undervalued early 20th century items?
Everyone thinks his favorite cards are undervalued. I would stay away from that whole subject, honestly. You're not going to get any consistent answers asking a few random people participating in a thread.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:42 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
If you're rolling in money, while the rest of us real people try to get by, then go ahead, buy that Ruth or Cobb.
This comment clearly has undertones of much more going on. Real people? Rolling in money?

I make no apologies for having some $ that I would like to spend on baseball cards and that my kitchen satisfies my wife, as that certainly doesn't make me less of a real person, lol

Last edited by anchorednw; 10-22-2022 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:49 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

T206 Cobb bat off/red
48 Leaf Jackie
51 Bowman Mays

pick two, highest grade/eye appeal you can find.
Old 10-22-2022, 10:53 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on this thread. What's it's helped me to do is actually consider a wider range of cards that I may have not considered. In addition, given me jump off point to study and learn more about some of these items (as my knowledge and experience in prewar and early vintage is still limited).

A year ago, if someone asked me that question, I would have probably said "easy, go grab an early Mantle or Mays", which isn't a terrible answer, but short sighted and limited in scope.

After much banter and discussion, I've begun to put pen to paper and make a list (albeit long) of players and cards/sets that I love and want. These include the obvious suspects.

I lean towards Babe and Cobb in early cards such as exhibit, t206, caramel, sporting news, etc. While I understand the draw of Goudey and early Topps/Bowman, I believe I would enjoy owning something a bit older and a bit more scarce/harder to find.

Really appreciate all the great insight, advice and banter.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:59 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
This comment clearly has undertones of much more going on. Real people? Rolling in money?

I make no apologies for having some $ that I would like to spend on baseball cards and that my kitchen satisfies my wife, as that certainly doesn't make me less of a real person, lol
I don't know anyone who has $15k to spend on baseball cards, other than the folks who post on this forum. I would have to sell cards I have to raise that kind of $$$. Sorry, but that is how it is. The regular work a day people are not in that league. I love this forum and the amazing cards posted, but it isn't a hobby for regular blue collar people anymore, only for the well-heeled card investors.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 10-22-2022, 03:16 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
I don't know anyone who has $15k to spend on baseball cards, other than the folks who post on this forum. I would have to sell cards I have to raise that kind of $$$. Sorry, but that is how it is. The regular work a day people are not in that league. I love this forum and the amazing cards posted, but it isn't a hobby for regular blue collar people anymore, only for the well-heeled card investors.
I will agree that to drop $15k on a card is a lot of money, at least in absolute terms. Certainly with many hard working Americans taking 3-6 months to earn that kind of cash, it’s a lot. To save that much, for many it would take even longer. And considering what else you could acquire with that kind of cash (like a semi-decent used car), it’s also a lot.

But I suspect that many of us spending that kind of cash on cards are still very much working for a living. At least I am!

At the same time, it’s fair to admit that I’ve been greatly blessed with tremendous resources to have the option to lavishly spend that kind of money on a luxury such as this. While I have worked hard to get here, paid my dues for many years, and gained some very valuable skills that I now use in my business to make a living, and with an income now at the top of the charts and a tax rate over 50% to go with it (part of the joys of living on the left coast) my situation is obviously different than the vast majority of Americans who do not have available cash to lavish on such luxuries at the same scale.

Is that a bad thing? Is it a good thing? Not sure that I have answers to those questions. I’m also not going to get into a political scrum about it, because that’s the best way to make any activity a lot less enjoyable.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 10-22-2022, 03:26 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Personally, I think there is very much of a hobby for the blue collar still. The blue collar can't buy the very best items, but I bought cards for entertainment even when I made $60,000 a year in the Bay Area, California (which is almost nothing with the cost of living here) when I was starting out. You can't buy the 1% cards, but you can build a fun and awesome collection of low grade less popular cards with the same or better aesthetic appeal as the investment pieces. If it isn't viewed as competition, but building a collection for personal enjoyment, I think the blue collar have a much better time than the white collar actually. The blue collar 'I just enjoy these cards I gather' seem to have a lot more fun and less stress than the $$$ collectors who are primarily interested in their profit from the hobby. As I buy for personal enjoyment and entertainment and budget my card buys accordingly as my 'beer money', I would consider myself in the blue collar class here as well. I'm not dropping what it takes to buy the cards that have 1,000 threads about them.

Discussion centers around money and the rich, that is absolutely true. The poorer collectors don't tend to be active in the forums and like nearly as much, for reasons we could speculate on but I don't think could prove. Probably would be an interesting topic to examine if everyone behaved for another thread.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:36 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I'm going to disagree a bit here James, I'm a working class guy in a blue collar business in a HCOL area. I'll be the the first guy to admit I've been fortunate enough to collect cardboard pictures of little baseball men.

When I got back in I built a list of 300 cards I wanted to reflect my collection, never mind the price that's what I wanted my collection to look like. Within that frame is always economics, I'll never be the guy who can spend his way through, but I did sacrifice for my collection, sometimes when I shouldn't have but that's the nature of this fantastic hobby.

I'd love a Wolverine Cobb but that's above my pay grade right now, maybe someday, but I don't fret over it because I have other collecting goals and am happy with my current collection.

It's really never about the money, it's about the passion for collecting, there's guys here who can buy whatever they want, there's also guys here who sacrifice to spend $250 on a card. I'm happy for for both of them when they reach a collecting goal and post about it here.

For me it's always about the relationships formed with fellow members here, which if graded by any TPG would be a Gem Mint 10 or whatever they call it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-22-2022, 03:42 PM
Charles Jackson

An attempt to put some context to some of the prices changes in some of the cards mentioned on here that could be purchased with ~$15K

My apologies for any mistakes and this is not meant to say one card is better than the other. And it is not an apples to apples comparison as I am just working off data that is on PSA's website. I'd need a more recent sale of a PSA 5 T206 Red Cobb for instance. And I'd need an earlier sale of the Mays rookie to be an apples to apples comparison Mantle's rookie.

For the record, I think people should buy what interests them, and they should only do so with discretionary income.

Note that the annual return is between each sale. Only the total is calculated from the final sale to the first sale.
Attached Images
File Type: png Card Prices over Time.png (56.8 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 10-22-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 04:36 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I'm going to disagree a bit here James, I'm a working class guy in a blue collar business in a HCOL area. I'll be the the first guy to admit I've been fortunate enough to collect cardboard pictures of little baseball men.

When I got back in I built a list of 300 cards I wanted to reflect my collection, never mind the price that's what I wanted my collection to look like. Within that frame is always economics, I'll never be the guy who can spend his way through, but I did sacrifice for my collection, sometimes when I shouldn't have but that's the nature of this fantastic hobby.

I'd love a Wolverine Cobb but that's above my pay grade right now, maybe someday, but I don't fret over it because I have other collecting goals and am happy with my current collection.

It's really never about the money, it's about the passion for collecting, there's guys here who can buy whatever they want, there's also guys here who sacrifice to spend $250 on a card. I'm happy for for both of them when they reach a collecting goal and post about it here.

For me it's always about the relationships formed with fellow members here, which if graded by any TPG would be a Gem Mint 10 or whatever they call it...
I agree with what you say, Phil. It would nonsense to try to argue. And I would say I have seen a great many of your cards posted here. You have stated that you have sacrificed at times, selling in order to get a certain pick up. Thanks for making me see the light.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 10-22-2022, 10:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Definitely my favorite prewar card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-23-2022, 10:50 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Definitely my favorite prewar card.
What an incredible looking Babe exhibit Adam! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by anchorednw; 10-23-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM
Brian Dalrymple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The Jackie is a beautiful card, but I am surprised it's as prized as it is, being only a 4th or 5th year card depending on your definition with plenty of earlier cards, and aside from people looking for perfect centering, not at all hard to find.
I am currently looking for a 49 Bow Jackie myself (in a low grade) for my post war vintage index run. I'm just not in love with the 49's. The 52 Topps is definitely one of his "prettiest" cards IMO

Last edited by anchorednw; 10-23-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am currently looking for a 49 Bow Jackie myself (in a low grade) for my post war vintage index run. I'm just not in love with the 49's. The 52 Topps is definitely one of his "prettiest" cards IMO
No doubt, i just can't think of any other examples on the postwar side of things where a player's 4th or 5th year card is his most iconic.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.