NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Default Heritage Wins?

Made my first dip into HA last night with this one... anyone else get their desired lot(s) last night?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HONUS.jpg (76.1 KB, 761 views)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Steven H.

That is an amazing card. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Luke Keeler

I loved the selection of game used bats that they had, but didn't pick anything up. The Keeler lumber was tempting though!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Yes, the selection of bats was incredible. I was bidding on the PSA 10 Jeter (non-WS) bat. went for over double what i was hoping i'd get it for. prices on memorabilia/bats are getting crazy.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Yes, the selection of bats was incredible. I was bidding on the PSA 10 Jeter (non-WS) bat. went for over double what i was hoping i'd get it for. prices on memorabilia/bats are getting crazy.
yeah, there was a ruth/gehrig ball that I was an under-bidder on, i figured it'd go in the 6-7K range based on condition, I stopped even looking after it got to $11K
Old 02-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Matt

The 2011 Jeter was pretty cool - I went to 10k - if the high bidder want to work something out let me know
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 02-24-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
Made my first dip into HA last night with this one... anyone else get their desired lot(s) last night?
Beutiful card
Good job
Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
Beutiful card
Good job

thank you... it's my first and only Pre-war Honus. Not sure where the value on the "black swamp" stuff will ultimately land, but this card seems to me to have the same rarity as the T206, with what is now just as good a story.

Heritage needs to finish selling them all before a real market gets determined, but I have to assume these cards have a lot of upside too... but I'm not really an investor, so much as a lover of the art in these things. If i never make a dime on it, who cares, it's fun just to own.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM

Nice Wagner!!!
JimB
Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Alex

That is a sweet card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Great card at a good price. It looks like the first SGC88 sold for around 29k, the second one sold for around 19k and then this one around 15.5k....nicely done.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Great card at a good price. It looks like the first SGC88 sold for around 29k, the second one sold for around 19k and then this one around 15.5k....nicely done.
Thanks Leon... I think the prices will level off as the Swamp find is sold through... Obviously the first honus Auction had the most demand, and subsequently less as 1 bidder eliminates themselves from the demand side per win.

Once the find is liquidated though, and all the high grades end up in private hands, I think the demand will rachet back up again in a big way. How many will sell per year? 1-2 maybe at first then even less.

The rarity of the E98 is just as scarce as the T206, and I think the find is just as intriguing a story... Long term I think all of these BSF cards have huge potential. $249K for the Mint Wags, well over 6 figures for the Cobb. As time goes on, i think those figures get stronger.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Henry Shrimps
Banned

"Great card at a good price. It looks like the first SGC88 sold for around 29k, the second one sold for around 19k and then this one around 15.5k....nicely done."

Are you saying the price will keep on dropping? I think there are 20+ of similar Wagner out there from the found.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshrimps View Post
"Great card at a good price. It looks like the first SGC88 sold for around 29k, the second one sold for around 19k and then this one around 15.5k....nicely done."

Are you saying the price will keep on dropping? I think there are 20+ of similar Wagner out there from the found.
prices are leveling out... The first few always sell the highest, because demand is highest, the market levels out after that (which is where I think it is now)

but again, a population of 22 cards, does not an open floodgate make. Once those 2 dozen or so end up in private hands, I'd assume you'll see prices rocket upward.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM
pete ullman

PErsonally...I don't see the BSF cards all being tucked away in collections never to see the light of day. I see them more as a novelty...with some suspicion as to their authenticity. I see them as objects desirable to the speculator...and I believe there will be a constant buying and selling/reselling of them in the future. I for one believe they are all real...but I don't see prices going to aforementioned levels due to the sheer amount of them out there and the much smaller demand for e98 as compared to other issues such as t206.

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-26-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Dan Bretta

There has to be a demand...there are a ton of cards that are rarer than a T-206 Wagner, but will never attain T-206 Wagner stature. I agree with Pete, these will likely be passed around for a long time.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
PErsonally...I don't see the BSF cards all being tucked away in collections never to see the light of day. I see them more as a novelty...with some suspicion as to their authenticity. I see them as objects desirable to the speculator...and I believe there will be a constant buying and selling/reselling of them in the future. I for one believe they are all real...but I don't see prices going to aforementioned levels due to the sheer amount of them out there and the much smaller demand for e98 as compared to other issues such as t206.
My point was specific to the wagner. T206 built up the "brand" of Honus Wagner. PSA has a population report of 34 Total T206 Wagners. There are 35 PSA E98 Wagners from BSF.

I'm not saying you'll ever see Multi-Million dollar E98s. I'm just saying they are nearly as "rare" even though the availability of them right now seems so much higher.

Absolutely agree you'll see a lot of speculation for the foreseeable few years, but eventaully these Cards will settle into a "forever home" as mine has. And the BSF story to me makes these cards "interesting" from a collectors stanpoint, they have a story, a history.

The combination of the Wagner brand name, the relative scarcity, and the intrigue of the story... In my opinion form a dynamic that in 20+ years could make these cards somewhat-similarly sought after.

As for me though, I bought this to be my newborn Son's first baseball card. I don't anticipate it leaving my family until I die, and then he can decide if he wants to pass it down, or sell it. To me, it's just a good thing to help him eventually learn the history of the hobby/baseball.

Last edited by phikappapsi; 02-26-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
My point was specific to the wagner. T206 built up the "brand" of Honus Wagner. PSA has a population report of 34 Total T206 Wagners. There are 35 PSA E98 Wagners from BSF.

I'm not saying you'll ever see Multi-Million dollar E98s. I'm just saying they are nearly as "rare" even though the availability of them right now seems so much higher.

Absolutely agree you'll see a lot of speculation for the foreseeable few years, but eventaully these Cards will settle into a "forever home" as mine has. And the BSF story to me makes these cards "interesting" from a collectors stanpoint, they have a story, a history.

The combination of the Wagner brand name, the relative scarcity, and the intrigue of the story... In my opinion form a dynamic that in 20+ years could make these cards somewhat-similarly sought after.

As for me though, I bought this to be my newborn Son's first baseball card. I don't anticipate it leaving my family until I die, and then he can decide if he wants to pass it down, or sell it. To me, it's just a good thing to help him eventually learn the history of the hobby/baseball.
Congrats on a very nice pickup, but your second to last statement is a pipe dream IMO. No card will ever have the mystique of the T206 Wagner. If there is, the only card that I think ever has a chance is the Baltimore News Ruth. There are rarer Honus Wagner cards than the T206 and yet the T206 still commands 10-50X the price of those others.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 02-26-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Congrats on a very nice pickup, but your second to last statement is a pipe dream IMO. No card will ever have the mystique of the T206 Wagner. If there is, the only card that I think ever has a chance is the Baltimore News Ruth. There are rarer Honus Wagner cards than the T206 and yet the T206 still commands 10-50X the price of those others.
I said "somewhat similarly" one already sold for $249K(which I thought was crazy) so you can't say the E98's aren't already in the landscape.

Again, I agree there are more rare exemplars... None of them have the story. The T206 story took 50+ years to really get a foothold, and the "mystery" of the short run is most of the mystique.

The Black Swamp Find, in my mind will in time be it's own legend.

it won't be at the levels of T206, or for that matter the BN ruth, but i certainly think this "legend" has room to grow also.

Last edited by phikappapsi; 02-26-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
again, I said "somewhat similarly" one already sold for $249K(which I thought was crazy) so you can't say the E98's aren't already in the landscape.

Again, I agree there are more rare exemplars... None of them have the story. The T206 story took 50+ years to really get a foothold, and the "mystery" of the short run is most of the mystique.

The Black Swamp Find, in my mind will in time be it's own legend.

Again, not at the levels of T206, or for that matter the BN ruth, but i certainly think this "legend" has room to grow also.
As someone who collects some scarce cards, and has for 15+ years, I can safely say, unequivocally, the demand side of the value equation is the most important, by far. The BSF Wags that sold for the 249k was the best card in the find. It might have some room to grow being the very best of the whole thing. The rest of them, I am less inclined to think will go up. But they are beautiful cards and that Wags shown at 15k isn't a bad deal. It's already gone down 10k from the initial sale.....buy low, sell high >

btw, this Wags is probably more than 10x as rare as a T206 Wags but not worth 1/100th of one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd381wagner.jpg (72.0 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-26-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:10 AM
pete ullman

Regardless of what happens...great pick up Joe...and a really cool thing to get for your son that I'm sure he will someday cherish!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Thanks Pete. That's my line of thinking. If it's never worth a dime again, I for one really liked the story.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:

i always say things are worth what someone is willing to pay for but the Jeter WS bat at that price is crazy....and a PSA9 Ruth bat goes for 60k less...come on...

40 years from now, Jeter will have his place, but Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle, Berra, Munson, Jeter....

and plus people were collecting bats in 1996....1920? I think Mantles 1951 WS bat only went for 100k...

it will be interesting to see what GU Jeter items go for in 2024...
Old 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Regardless of what happens...great pick up Joe...and a really cool thing to get for your son that I'm sure he will someday cherish!
+1

That's a beautiful card.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Robert A

Quote:

Who thinks they're not real? Nothing to be suspicious about.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:26 AM
pete ullman

[QUOTE=caramelcard;1246961]Who thinks they're not real? Nothing to be suspicious about.[/QUOT
I kinda remember a poll here where numerous members questioned the authenticity of the BSF cards.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
i always say things are worth what someone is willing to pay for but the Jeter WS bat at that price is crazy....and a PSA9 Ruth bat goes for 60k less...come on...

40 years from now, Jeter will have his place, but Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle, Berra, Munson, Jeter....

and plus people were collecting bats in 1996....1920? I think Mantles 1951 WS bat only went for 100k...

it will be interesting to see what GU Jeter items go for in 2024...

The Ruth bat went for much less than i thought it would, congrats to the winner, very special bat...the Jeter bat, is also incredibly special in it's own right. photo-matched to his first World Series (during his rookie season). i think collectors/investors are really getting aggressive on his game used material, especially the really great pieces. people are realizing he is right there on the Yankee Mount Everest (depending on how many heads we include).
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
The Ruth bat went for much less than i thought it would, congrats to the winner, very special bat...the Jeter bat, is also incredibly special in it's own right. photo-matched to his first World Series (during his rookie season). i think collectors/investors are really getting aggressive on his game used material, especially the really great pieces. people are realizing he is right there on the Yankee Mount Everest (depending on how many heads we include).
Oh come on... you couldn't even see his face on Mount Everest Maybe Mt. Rushmore...

But would you kick off Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle? I think they need a 5th Head
Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM
JeR@Me

Default Heritage

I didn't even realize Heritage had an auction going on ? Did they stop sending catalogs? (I have received their catalgos in the past for several years) - I totally missed this auction!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 AM
pete ullman

I personally think it's insane that a Jeter rookie season bat sells for twice a Ruth gamer...but that's just me!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Oh come on... you couldn't even see his face on Mount Everest Maybe Mt. Rushmore...

But would you kick off Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio or Mantle? I think they need a 5th Head
Ha! Oops...i did mean Mt. Rushmore...

I wouldn't kick those 4 off (of course), but Jeter would be the 5th head, and Mo the 6th...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Quote:
Ha! Oops...i did mean Mt. Rushmore...

I wouldn't kick those 4 off (of course), but Jeter would be the 5th head, and Mo the 6th...
I think it's clearly

Ruth
Gehrig
DiMaggio
Mantle

With some argument over the order of 3 and 4

Then Berra

Jeter and Mo (mo is the best ever at his position, but Jeter arguably meant more to the "Yankee legend"
Old 02-28-2014, 08:45 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Jeter could be on a 4 head Yankee Rushmore if you kicked off Ruth and made it career Yankee players. Sure Ruth played a majority of his career there, but with Jeter, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle you could have guys that only played for the Yankees. Even Berra wouldn't be eligible to be on that Rushmore because of his four games with the Mets .
Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Andy Palmer

Wow. Love blowing that up on my computer to get an up-close look. Drooling...

V357 1933 WWG Ice Kings Hockey
1921 Exhibits Babe Ruth & Walter Johnson
Greg Maddux PSA 10 Cannon
Pedro Martinez PSA 10 1992 Leaf Gold Insert
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM

talk about the right time to sell jeter memorabilia. i expect prices to remain bullish throughout jeter's last season run.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordanby View Post
talk about the right time to sell jeter memorabilia. i expect prices to remain bullish throughout jeter's last season run.
Agree.

THe problem is, people were collecting bats in 1996.... who was collecting them in 1920?

No way in hell 10 years from now, that bat will get 150k, id be shocked if it got 40k