NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I care but I wouldn't put in more time to recoup the hundred than it would take for me to make the money back. But if that is your MO you may be my guest. While you are scrambling for the hundred (that was already determined not to be doable) I will make two hundred. To each their own.... I do my best not to concentrate on negativity, even if it means I lose a few bucks, in the long run, it works for me.
Yeah yeah yeah.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Of 41 analysts who follow ebay not one rates it a sell or an underperform. But I guess Bill knows stuff they don't.
Nope, Peter. You got me. Ebay is profitable right now, absolutely. And that may continue for some time. However, the number of complaints stemming from how Ebay treats their sellers are growing, and if Ebay doesn't take steps to placate these users, then the company will experience problems. And somebody out there is going to create a viable alternative to Ebay that will cut into its market share. That's guaranteed. It happens in every business model. Ask RIMM about how their market share has fallen off a cliff. Ask somebody who worked in research and development for Palm, Inc. Ask somebody who works for Microsoft in internet browser development about the good ol' days, when Internet Explorer reigned supreme, with Netscape Navigator and a select few fighting for the scraps from Microsoft's table.

I'm seeing in Ebay a company that is completely inflexible. They are incapable of responding to very legitimate customer complaints. And as they continue alienating their customers, and word of mouth continues to spread, more and more people will leave them behind. And they will fall flat on their faces. It may not happen this year, or in three years, or five. But it will happen.

People working for Enron, and Bear Stearns, and Lehman Brothers, and AIG, never thought their companies would collapse. But they did. Ebay had better be very careful, regardless of whatever these analysts are saying.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

Set up straw man knock down straw man. I never suggested large companies could not go out of business. Committing massive financial fraud or getting out-innovated on a core product is hardly the same thing as some anecdotal customer dissatisfaction. But by all means, go short the stock, put your money where your mouth is.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-03-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Ronald Goldberg

What's straw got to do, got to do with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Bill Gregory

No need to get defensive, Peter. Not all the companies I listed fell by the wayside because of unethical business practices, or technological advancements.

Ebay is biting many of the hands that have made it the largest online auction site in the world. And eventually, either that, or a competitor, is going to cause the relative monopoly they hold to slip. I don't know when it will happen, but it will. And it won't require some technology innovation. If Bill Gates paid somebody millions to develop a competing site offering the identical services that Ebay currently does, that could really hurt Ebay. If all users (not just sellers) were required to display an accurate feedback score, if they undercut Ebay's fee structures, and didn't virtually require payment be handled by Paypal, they could make a huge splash. Ebay would either have to make changes, or they'd go the way of the dodo bird. And invariably, at some point in the future, somebody with money, and a good deal of business acumen, is going to spot the opportunity, and create that alternative.

Am I going to short their stock to prove my point? No. I happen to think trading on margin is dumb, and I have no need to engage in riskier option trades. Therefore, I don't have margin approval on my account. And without margin approval, I can't short stocks. But even if I could, I wouldn't. Short selling goes against everything I believe in as a broker. It is making money off of a company's downturn, and I choose not to make money off of other people's suffering.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 03-03-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: horrible grammar on my part needed correcting