NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Need a little of advice on a Carmelo Deportivo album

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 1945-1946 Carmelo album off eBay a week or so ago. The set is complete minus the Reyes card. The cards look great, but the condition of the album itself is pretty rough--lots of stains and some mildew.

I'm debating whether to leave the album alone, or to try and remove the cards by gently soaking them. The cards are solidly glued into the album. Perhaps in the Cuban heat the glue has softened and then re-hardened. I'm just wondering if they would be better preserved in graded holders (for the expensive cards), and top loaders for the commons.

Any advice from collectors that have tried removing Cuban cards from an album would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0299.jpg (76.8 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0300.jpg (72.9 KB, 407 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Ryan Christoff

Generally pretty easy to soak out. Usually water soluble glue. It depends on what you want. It's easier to think of them as individual cards once they're out of the album. But they've survived fine for nearly 70 years in the album, so leaving them in would probably be okay, depending on the mold situation. If the cards are nice, I'd say soak 'em.

-Ryan
Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

I would find a professional who deals with paper restoration to remove the cards from the pages, could be costly. Also I would not attempt it myself in fear of destroying the cards and loosing money in the end
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Ryan Christoff

No need for a professional. It would cost more than the album's worth. Easy to do yourself. To a Net54 search for soaking cards.

-Ryan
Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Ryan Christoff

"Do" a search. Not "to."
Old 02-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have soaked a few prewar cards before with success. I just wasn't sure about how well the Cuban cards did in water. I thought that they may wrinkle because they are so thin. Also I have never tried soaking cards that are glued on both sides of the same paper.

I probably will enjoy them in the album for awhile before I try removing them.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCabron View Post
No need for a professional. It would cost more than the album's worth. Easy to do yourself. To a Net54 search for soaking cards.

-Ryan
"Easy to do it yourself" means "its easier said than done"
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM

I've done two of those albums and one was a piece of cake, the other was a disaster. Black ink is usually not water soluble but if you put ANY pressure on the fronts of those cards when wet they will completely rub away so be VERY careful not to touch the fronts.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I've done two of those albums and one was a piece of cake, the other was a disaster. Black ink is usually not water soluble but if you put ANY pressure on the fronts of those cards when wet they will completely rub away so be VERY careful not to touch the fronts.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Was there any difference in the condition of the two albums before you soaked them?

Best regards,

Joe
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Not that I remember, the first one was the disaster (several of the umpires on the front page got flat out ruined. Second time around and with some more experience they came out awesome. I would just not touch the cards at all, let them soak and float off the page then air dry, don't touch the ink at all or it will smear. I think on the first few I tried to rub the glue residue off the back and the pressure to the fronts ruined the ink and smeared it. It might have had something to do with the glue, I don't know, just be careful not to smear the ink and they should be fine.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I have not soaked these types of albums so I defer to Rhys on this. However, the one thing that nobody mentions when discussing soaking an item is that distilled water is the best type to use. It has no chemicals and is purified. You should be able to find it in CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid or a real drug store for about $2 a gallon or less. The chemicals in tap water can affect the item and that is difficult to predict. As previously mentioned, most early glues are water soluble, due to their makeup. I may also suggest using pyrex style glass baking dishes or good plastic trays to soak the item. Metal trays could introduce metal into the water which could also leave rust stains.

I have soaked some scrapbooks and other items and it always works well with those. I have also cleaned old engravings in a similar manner. Using a solution of 10 to 1 warm water to bleach can clean old book engravings. You cannot touch the engraving itself while wet as it will smear. You will see the engraving whiten, you remove and hang by a corner, let dry and it looks brand new. I have done this with quite a few 1840's to 1860's book engravings. This will not work with old magazines or newspapers. You need a special deacidification solution for those. This is only for engravings, not prints from books.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I'd listen to Ryan

and if you have additional questions about it I would ask Ryan. He is certainly the board expert on these (Cuban) issues and I would surely defer to his experience and expertise.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-25-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
Ryan Christoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
"Easy to do it yourself" means "its easier said than done"
Not sure what translator you're using, but "Easy to do it yourself" means that it's easy to do it yourself.

-Ryan
Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Alex

Soaking is pretty easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Carmelo album

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will probably try to remove them from the album later this year. I appreciate all of the good suggestions.

Joe
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

these cards are very delicate when wet.....BE CAREFUL.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM

Default why soak

I feel the need to weigh in and ask why are we so quick to soak these albums. Its not like we are talking about a scrapbook or cards that are randomly attached to some old paper. These are cards that are in the exact state that they are supposed to be. They are tiny and fragile cards that were meant to be put in the album. Why are we so quick to want to release them so they can be put into holders. I think that these albums are beautiful items that look a lot better then a collection of cards. So my vote (I know no one asked for my vote) would be to keep them as is -- why take any chance harming them if they look great as is
Old 02-25-2014, 06:07 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Carmelo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
I feel the need to weigh in and ask why are we so quick to soak these albums. Its not like we are talking about a scrapbook or cards that are randomly attached to some old paper. These are cards that are in the exact state that they are supposed to be. They are tiny and fragile cards that were meant to be put in the album. Why are we so quick to want to release them so they can be put into holders. I think that these albums are beautiful items that look a lot better then a collection of cards. So my vote (I know no one asked for my vote) would be to keep them as is -- why take any chance harming them if they look great as is
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your opinion, I do value it. You are correct that the cards are currently in the state that they were meant to be displayed in. I do appreciate this. In fact it was my intent when I purchased the item to keep the cards in the album.

My concern is the condition of the album itself. Its pretty fragile. It has only been in my possession for a week, and the couple of times that I have turned the pages small flakes on the edges of the pages have broken off. The cards are in pretty good shape, but the pages are stained and in places show what looks like mildew. There are five or six valuable cards in the set (Dihigo, Brown, Dandridge, Minoso, & Tiant) and I wonder if they would be better preserved if they were in graded holders. The common cards would still look nice in top loaders.

I also thought of separating the album into pages and place them into protective plastic sleeves and a binder. In this way I could preserve some of the integrity of the album and still enjoy looking at them without having the pages flake off in my hands.

Perhaps other collectors may have other suggestions.

I posted a couple more pictures; it would be great to see more collectors take interest in the Cuban cards. Also a great way to collect players from the Negro leagues.

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0304.jpg (72.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (77.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northviewcats View Post
I also thought of separating the album into pages and place them into protective plastic sleeves and a binder. In this way I could preserve some of the integrity of the album and still enjoy looking at them without having the pages flake off in my hands.
If this was mine, that's probably what I would do, even though it seems kind of bad, in a way. I definitely (definitely,definitely) would not soak the cards off, but that's just me.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 02-26-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Ryan Christoff

For the record, even though you've described it as being in rough shape, based on the pictures you posted, this album actually appears to be in very nice condition. Definitely above average. Keep in mind, if you had to pick the worst climates for preservation of paper ephemera, Cuba would be right near the top of the list. It's very common for albums to have a lot of damage to the covers, and very often to the interior pages as well. For this one, both the album and the cards seem to be in nice shape. Maybe that's a factor in deciding whether or not to keep intact?

-Ryan
Old 02-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Not sure what translator you're using, but "Easy to do it yourself" means that it's easy to do it yourself.

-Ryan
Common Sense
Old 02-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason19th View Post
why are we so quick to soak these albums.
M-O-N-E-Y. Depending on the results, the individual cards could sell for more than the album.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
M-O-N-E-Y. Depending on the results, the individual cards could sell for more than the album.
I agree
Old 03-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
For the record, even though you've described it as being in rough shape, based on the pictures you posted, this album actually appears to be in very nice condition. Definitely above average. Keep in mind, if you had to pick the worst climates for preservation of paper ephemera, Cuba would be right near the top of the list. It's very common for albums to have a lot of damage to the covers, and very often to the interior pages as well. For this one, both the album and the cards seem to be in nice shape. Maybe that's a factor in deciding whether or not to keep intact?

-Ryan
Hopefully a nice one won't be cut up but if it is, it is. Maybe the value of a nice one, fully intact, is worth it to keep that way, since I would think they are scarce. Good luck to the OP..