NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
J Stone

Default Opinions on Jackie Robinson Signed Ball

Hi All -

Really glad to have found this board. I'm an autograph collector who dates back to the early 1970s through mid 1980s era mostly. I remember having a great time as a teen and young adult corresponding and trading with people like Dick Dobbins, Dan Forman (sp?), Bill Corcoran, Bill Zekus, Dr. John R Davis and many more. Dr. Davis in particular was really generous, we'd make a trade but he'd often include several more items on his end...just because.

Since about 1992 I've been pretty inactive but thanks to the Internet and boards like this it's great to be able to read about other's collecting experiences. Like every one else I could do without the drama but it comes with the territory and the (mostly) intelligent discussion makes for good reading.

I'm at the point where I may have to start selling off some of my collection and as I go though stuff that has been in closets for years, I have to come to the realization that many items, even some of my "best stuff" may not actually be "good". So if you all don't mind I'll be posting stuff from time to time and appreciate your learned opinions. There are a lot of sharp, experienced eyes on this board.

Please look at the Jackie Robinson signature on this ball and feel free to render an opinions as to whether it is JR's autograph or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_6a.jpg (74.6 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by MooseDog; 06-21-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach picture.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Charles

It doesnt look right to me. Ironic that all the other signatures are in the same ink and this one is different...like it was added on.

CJ
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Richard Simon

Unfortunately that is one really bad Jackie.
The Roush looks fine.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-21-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

As Richard said the Roush looks good. Too bad it's not alone on that panel so that it could be displayed as a single.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

The "R" in that JR looks terrible...I would agree that is a bad signature.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Default JimStinson

Is Bill Corcoran still around ? He must be 95 years old by now. Bill Zekus was my mentor sadly he died around 2001. The Jackie is not even close sorry.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Default JimStinson

In fact all of the other signatures look good so I will go out on a limb here and say the JR signature is signed by Rachel Robinson in an attempt to oblige a collector
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
J Stone

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I doubted that was a legit Jackie autograph and have always been bothered by it being the only signature in that pen. Very interesting idea on Rachel Robinson, Jim, I hadn't thought of that, I don't have any exemplars of her writing.

So here's the rest of the story. I got the ball from a former MLB player, along with several other AL 1961-62 team balls. He said that he collected them himself. This particular ball is ostensibly from the Yankees Old-Timers game held July 29, 1961. They player was on the White Sox in 1961 and they were in NY July 25-27 then on to Boston. So it's not likely that he got this ball signed himself unless all of these old-timers were in town during that period. Unfortunately he's passed away now, and I was remiss in seeking out all the details.

Here's the rest of the ball. I think most of you will agree the other sigs are fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_1.jpg (75.7 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_2.jpg (76.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_3.jpg (74.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_4.jpg (73.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 61_old_timers_5.jpg (75.3 KB, 161 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 06:38 PM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Is Bill Corcoran still around ? He must be 95 years old by now. Bill Zekus was my mentor sadly he died around 2001. The Jackie is not even close sorry.
I think I last saw Bill out here about 3 years ago at a Tri-Star Show in SF. I think he's around my age (50s), maybe a little older - whatever he may have just looked young for his age. We both got started doing TTMs as youngsters. Bill went the extra mile trying to track down the "lost" players and non-signers. I guess I wasn't that dedicated.

I enjoyed my dealings with Zekus, even managed to find a couple of really though Dodgers for his collection.

LOL those where the days. Most of us used to just send each other 50-100 3x5s at a time or more of the same without much regard to value.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Default JimStinson

I was only joking about Bill Corcoran in fact he's younger than me (smile) I guess it only "seems" like we've been around 100 years. I've been trying to get him to join the board so thought with my little dig about his being 100 years old I'd give him a nudge but (so far) hasn't worked.

Bill Corcoran is one of the best autograph guys in the country. His specialty is signed cards. Bill and I were partners on the very first private signing Dr Mike G. Marshall would agree to and it took me 7 years to talk him into doing it.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

If you check out the tab under the "Community" word in the dark blue line going across near the top of each page, you will see some different, but very good, areas of the board. One of those places is a members list. It lists all of our members by their user ID. Every registered member is there. Bill C. signed up a few days ago. LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
I was only joking about Bill Corcoran in fact he's younger than me (smile) I guess it only "seems" like we've been around 100 years. I've been trying to get him to join the board so thought with my little dig about his being 100 years old I'd give him a nudge but (so far) hasn't worked.

Bill Corcoran is one of the best autograph guys in the country. His specialty is signed cards. Bill and I were partners on the very first private signing Dr Mike G. Marshall would agree to and it took me 7 years to talk him into doing it.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Now Jim needs to get Ron Gordon to join!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Richard Simon

I encouraged Jim to join this group of hooligans but Ron is a desert rat and getting him in here would be a real stretch.
He is one good guy though and very knowledgeable.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Default JimStinson

Wow ! Bill joined ??? No way I won;t believe it until I see a post , maybe its a different Bill C. , They said that Dylan was going to show up at Woodstock too and never did.

Ron ???? Forget it , he is busy chasing Coyotes and rattlesnakes but he's STILL the best football autograph guy in the country
Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Default JimStinson

I found this old photo as proof (maybe this will bring him out of his cave), Thats left to right...me, Kid Gavilan, Boom Boom Mancini, The late boxing historian and Hall of Famer Hank Kaplan, Baseball card expert Lloyd Thompkins and Bill Corcoran far right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groupdinner.jpg (71.5 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM
J Stone

Ron was another guy I remember from my early years. Good guy, great stuff and very generous. Been so long he probably wouldn't remember me but I think it would be great if he were to join.