NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default OT, Wrigley Field LA. ca1940s

This post could also be on-topic, but Im hoping not. Im PCL ignorant so you left coast fans, please chime in;

At first glance, these appear to be another day at the Park.

I purchased these snapshots from a lady in Minn. She said they were her deceased Daddy's when he and his buds took a trip to Cali in the '40s -he would've been 87yo today.

In these photos, there are many subtle indicators that there is no game today. There also appears to be Big Shot studio equipment..

At any rate., Why would kids from the midwest give a care about a minor league game, when they're in the most exciting city in the country (outside of Beantown) and could see so many other great things? For instance, a Hollywood production? Would they waste expensive film on these Bushers when there are a million more interesting subjects for a rube out on the town?

Yea, I am WAGing, like I often do. But I believe these snaps were shot by an extra hoping to catch some Stars and a glimpse of the Babe, during the filming of "The Pride of the Yankees" in 1942.

"Get the frig off my field youz people."

Movie cameras along the 1st base line while players are throwing by the dugout. Is that a PCL uni or is that 'NY' on the left chest of a player above the black hat in the center?

It's a championship game? Then someone at least take the bases back home!

... Or maybe Im just a jabberbox. Thanks for looking. Steve

Last edited by Ladder7; 08-31-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Dan Bretta

I think you're looking at a PCL game..probably a postseason game with the overflow crowd and movie cameras. Movie cameras wouldn't be foreign to a ballpark...lots of newsreels from the time attest to that.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Bill T.

Steve,

As to the question about why a kid from the Midwest would care about a PCL game, my guess is that it's the Cubs connection. In the 40s, no Twins, so either the Cubs or Tigers would have been a logical object of fan frenzy in MN.

Bill
Old 08-31-2009, 06:36 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Appreciate the opinions fellas. Reckon I'll have to take a close look at the scoreboard for team indicators. Thanks again for looking.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Steve Murray

Might be this game. Service All-Stars, including Joe DiMaggio, played the LA and Hollywood teams at Wrigley, LA.

Last edited by Jacklitsch; 08-31-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I am 99% sure this is Wrigley Field, Los Angeles. The stands in the outfield and the way the second deck is covered is a dead giveaway. Probably was a major game.

BTW, The original Damn Yankees was filmed there...maybe?

Joshua
Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Wrigley Field in Los Angeles

I am a 72 year old fan who attended some games at Wrigley Field in Los Angels. As a matter of fact I was at the last P C L game played there. The photos are definitely of Wrigley Field. I saw players on the way up to the Major Leagues and those on the way down. Example Monte Irvin played for the Los Angeles Angels at Wrigley in the mid to late 50's.

Merv Williamsn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
This post could also be on-topic, but Im hoping not. Im PCL ignorant so you left coast fans, please chime in;

At first glance, these appear to be another day at the Park.

I purchased these snapshots from a lady in Minn. She said they were her deceased Daddy's when he and his buds took a trip to Cali in the '40s -he would've been 87yo today.

In these photos, there are many subtle indicators that there is no game today. There also appears to be Big Shot studio equipment..

At any rate., Why would kids from the midwest give a care about a minor league game, when they're in the most exciting city in the country (outside of Beantown) and could see so many other great things? For instance, a Hollywood production? Would they waste expensive film on these Bushers when there are a million more interesting subjects for a rube out on the town?

Yea, I am WAGing, like I often do. But I believe these snaps were shot by an extra hoping to catch some Stars and a glimpse of the Babe, during the filming of "The Pride of the Yankees" in 1942.

"Get the frig off my field youz people."

Movie cameras along the 1st base line while players are throwing by the dugout. Is that a PCL uni or is that 'NY' on the left chest of a player above the black hat in the center?

It's a championship game? Then someone at least take the bases back home!

... Or maybe Im just a jabberbox. Thanks for looking. Steve
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Wrigley Field in Los Angeles

Yes Damn Yankees was filmed there.

Merv Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
I am 99% sure this is Wrigley Field, Los Angeles. The stands in the outfield and the way the second deck is covered is a dead giveaway. Probably was a major game.

BTW, The original Damn Yankees was filmed there...maybe?

Joshua
Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Default P c l

Hi Jack:
I attended quite a few P C L games at Gilmore Field and Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. As a teenager I carried a mitt all the time and got a fair amount of Baseballs. The best overall player I saw was Eddie Basinsky of the Portland Beavers. He led all P C L 2nd basemen in homers for years until Joe Gordon jointed the Sacramento Solons. I loved the old P C L very much.

Merv Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacklitsch View Post
Might be this game. Service All-Stars, including Joe DiMaggio, played the LA and Hollywood teams at Wrigley, LA.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Steve Murray

Eddie Basinski, one of the few surviving members of the PCL Hall of Fame. Might have been good but with all due respect to my elder (and not by a whole lot) I don't think he had the stats warranting HOF status. JMHO
Old 02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Default Beating a dead horse. But,

All great arguments above. But, mainly because of the folks on the outfield during play, Im still unconvinced it's a championship game.

Studying the vertical photo, I found this big ol' head in a suit.

Also, two more movie cameras in the foreground and circa 1940's automobiles (None later) out in the streets and lots. I'm still trying to convince myself this is the filming of the 'Pride of the Yankees'. Either way, it doesn't amount to much. Sorry, I just can't put this away

Thanks for looking, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrigley LA 1942 C2.jpg (40.3 KB, 37 views)