NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Default Some Topps Questions: Bazooka ATG and True Fact Mini Comics

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Just clearing up some loose ends folks and thought I would post a couple of questions.

A while ago I was contacted by e-mail by a fellow who advised he was aware of a story that Topps marketed baseball cards with soap powder boxes before settling upon bubble gum as their preferred method of sale. The set in question was called All Time Greats and is supposed to be the set "reprinted" by Bazooka in 1963. Any pure white parts of the Bazooka cards are supposed to be "fleshy pink" on the originals purportedly distributed with the soap, which were also hand cut. He thought the "Krause book" seemed to make reference to this in the 1980's but around 1990 Krause dropped the reference to soap.

I have original editions of both the SCD price guide and Standard Catalog and they do not reference this theory. Anyone ever hear about this? I have to presume this is a late 40's timeframe. I do not believe Topps did this but who knows? It could just be a mixup or some kind of weird Ebay description that prompted the e-mail but thought I would solicit opinions Does anyone know the source of the photos for the ATG set? The photos look vaguely familiar to me and I can't help but think they are from the BB Hall of Fame.

The second one concerns True Fact Mini Comics, which were originally issued by Custom Comics (probably in the 50's) with the old style Topps logo in one of the corners, in a series of at least four comics (16 page pamphlet style). I cannot find my reference but I had them as a six comic series reissued by Topps in 1974 which were included as a box topper with some unremembered non sport set. These are shown in the Benjamin Non Sport Guide 1930-1960 (2nd ed) as 4 known and obviously issued before 1960. Benjamin states there were ads in regular comic books promoting these. Does anyone know about this obscure and hard to find issue? I have to presume either my 74 info is incorrect or it was issued twice, once in the 50's and again in 1974. I am 99% certain my 1974 info is correct but my missing reference makes it suspect until confirmed.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Shepherd

Years ago I remember a guy offering a Wagner from this supposed Soap Flakes set on Ebay for $25,000, or was it $75,000? Probably the same guy you're talking about Dave. I've never seen any reference to this set in my entire collection of vintage publications. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, Topps has recycled a few sets from earlier years. But soap flakes seem an unlikely vehicle for card distribution from a primarily confections-based company. There was that short lived Topps Chocolate Bar in the 1940's...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DD

Dave,
My only suggestion is to post this on a comic book forum (should be easy to find one, sorry I don't know of one). Regardless of the year, if it exists, someone is sure to remember seeing it.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I have a little more on the Topps True Facts Comics if anyone wants to take a peek:

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/20...facts-mam.html
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Bob Lemke

Default I heard it too . . . and dismissed it

Some guy used to contact me every few years with that story about Topps soap flakes' cards. I never gave it any credibility and we certainly never mentioned it in the pages of the Standard Catalog.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 07-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
Some guy used to contact me every few years with that story about Topps soap flakes' cards. I never gave it any credibility and we certainly never mentioned it in the pages of the Standard Catalog.
That must have really burst his bubble....