NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2007, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Default What's In Your Attic?

Posted By: bruce Dorskind

A near-mint copy of Detective Comics No. 27, a pre-World War II comic featuring Batman's debut, was recently found in an attic and sold to a local collector.

The comic is considered to be the second-most valuable available and can fetch up to $500,000. The only comic considered more valuable is Action Comics No. 1, in which Superman makes his first appearance.

Collector Todd McDevitt said the Batman issue he bought is worth about $250,000, but he won't say exactly how much he paid or who sold it to him.

"It was a typical story of someone cleaning up junk in their attic and finding an old comic book and wondering if this was one of those ones that was worth a lot of money," McDevitt told the Beaver County Times.

McDevitt, owner of the Pittsburgh region's five New Dimension Comics stores, said he has been saving money since 1986 so that he could buy a valuable comic when it appeared.

When the seller walked in with the Batman issue, "my eyes almost popped out of my head," McDevitt said.

"I guess I should have been more reserved, but I'm not a very good poker player," he said.

Experts estimate there are between 20 and a few hundred copies of the Batman debut.

McDevitt's comic now sits safely in an airtight bag in a bank vault. On occasion, he takes it out to show friends and customers.

"I've been toying with the idea of reading it, but I haven't yet," he said. "I'm going to savor it."

Old 10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Found a shoebox packed with 50's and 60's topps in an ex-girlfriend's grand mother's house in the late 80's. Ex to better condition highlighted by 2 1956 topps mantles.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ralph

Tons of goodies including non-sport items such as the Star Trek Commander play set,includes the Transponder that spins & the red buttom makes them disappear while the blue one makes them reappear plus some old cards,Hey I even found a Flower

Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

I'm envious of those of you that live in older towns and cities. I live on the outskirts of Atlanta and everything around me if from the late sixties, so very little in the way of goodies to be found at garage/tag sales, etc.

As far as my attic goes - I can vouch for a bunch of squirrel crap and a host of moth balls used to clear the buggers away.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

scratchy pink insulation and stale air.........

Old 10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Unfortunately all the stuff that's in my attic is stuff I put there myself.

Oh, well.

-Al

Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

...my father was a cartoonist, dating back to the Golden Era of animation, so I naturally ended up with a lot of his own work plus the works of others. Some of this work ended up being cartoons that are well known, or the artists themselves went on to have revered names. That market is very similar to baseball cards.

BTW -- the all-too-cutesy picture I use here by my login name is actually cropped from the title card of a Paramount/Famous Studios cartoon my father did the animation design for, titled Abner the Baseball (1960-61). Probably some of you here might have seen it. It used to show up in reruns here and there. Abner is an anthropomorphic baseball character who describes Mantle's supposedly "longest home run." Berra is depicted too. Script was adapted/written from a routine by a long-ago comedian named Eddie Lawrence.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: judson hamlin

Does a dessicated mouse count?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

Toys...........Toys................Toys........... .....

Old 10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

but a few weeks ago I picked up roughly a third of someone's LP collection (about 200) left by the curb by someone moving out. Since it was alphabetically arranged, I managed to pick up roughly S-T and J-N. Most are in excellent playing condition and were collected by someone with decidedly southern tastes with a few exceptions (60s and 70s). There are albums by Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Hank Williams and Hank Williams, Jr., Steve Goodman, ZZ Top, Mad River, Porter Wagoner, Rossington Collins Band and Lynnrd Skynnrd, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Chad Mitchell Trio, Bill Harrell and the Virginians (bluegrass), Three Dog Night, lots Willie and Waylon, Delbert McClinton, Taj Mahal, Marshall Tucker Band, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Tom Waits, The Persuasions, The Spinners, Martha and the Vandellas, Sex Pistols, Nick Lowe, Tanya Tucker, both James and Livingston Taylor, Toe Fat, Pat Travers, Link Wray, Robert Gordon, Ernest Tubb, Dolly Parton, Ethel Merman, etc.

I've been busy dubbing them onto CD-Rs,and so far I think I've burned my way through over half of them.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Silvey

I think I'll hide a couple of boxes of 1990 Donruss in my attic in the hopes that they become the future T206s. Maybe the Juan Gonzalez reverse negative will be the future Magie error. Some collector will rejoice as he/she finds stacks of Delino Deshields and Marquis Grissom rookies. Or not.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

I found some old Archie comic digests and a few 1973 topps.

And a petrified Whopper Jr. with cheese, I think.

edited to add: I don't actually have an attic.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Interesting find. I am tempted to ask what the purchase price was. Something a little south of $250,000, I would guess.

As for my attic, it is our master bedroom. I'm still looking for a misplaced Boston Store Heilman card (a 2 year seach), so maybe it has ended up in the attic.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

A T206 Wagner, PSA 8

Old 10-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

My mom and dads current home belonged to my grandmother and her mom and dad before her.  I have seen many pictures of my great-grandfather but never did he have a pipe or cigarette in hand.  : (

I do not know the attic contents but I do know it has not been pilferred. I do know that someday me and my siblings will get this home willed to us. I only want the attic contents they can have the rest.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Don't you visit your parents? Get you *** over there and check it out!!

Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

I do visit my parents often.

They just recently purchased the home from my grandmother.  I just haven't crawled up in the attic yet.. soon enough.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

A painting of me that keeps aging

Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

I live in a 18 year old condo and don't have an attic, but I can ask if my upstairs neighbor if she has any cards.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

When we moved last year all cards were accounted for except a Fatima White Sox which had been slabbed SGC 50 at the National in Chicago. I am going to have to check the attic for it after reading this thread...

Old 10-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason

from various periods throughout history, asking me to switch my credit card balance over to Capital One.

It's very annoying...they're very loud.

Oh yes, shortly after moving in, I went up to look around and found a stack of old-looking 4-card strips lying next to an industrial paper cutter, a loupe, and a pile of top loaders. It looks as though whoever was working them had left abruptly, as though they were interrupted. The stack contains some T206s, some 1952 Topps, and then some containing a Lajoie card that I don't see too often.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I only found this painting....

Old 10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Dan,
I'll take it.... Even though I find him disgusting, I just can't look away.... Be well Brian

PS I'm paraphrasing, so that Barry can correct me. Smile.....

Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

GIDDYUP!

Old 10-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Brian- I was trying to remember the buyer's exact words but I couldn't. I just recall he had to have it.

Kramer then was invited to their home for dinner, where he regaled them with adventures while displaying rather poor table manners.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

like he found it 'repulsive' but he couldn't look away......

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Administrator

That was one of two episodes where George found himself bamboozled into buying worthless art he didn't want (the other being the painting of triangles he bought in "The Junior Mint" episode).

Mulva...Gipple...Gloriola?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Deloris......

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/14312461/detail.html

Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jeremy

i keep my children in the attic

Old 10-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Stuff that should be thrown away and rat poop.....We built the house so the only thing in the walls are probably some food wrappers from the workers (I really don't want to know everything) and insulation...

Old 10-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Kyle,

Thanks for the follow-up article, Mr. Eide who saw the comic book before McDevitt has offered a $1000 for an independent evaluation of the comic. Now Mr. Eide says the comic is too brittle to have such an evaluation done. Do you think that's a valid excuse? If so why, if not why?

Our house is new and we've never even used the attic.

Peter C.

Edited to add: My opinion is it's McDevitt's comic, if it's too much of a hassle to obtain an indpdt. expert's opinion that's his right. The counter-argument is that if the comic is brittle now, it will be even more brittle in the future. If you want to protect a future owner of the comic book, then now is the time to get an expert's opinion.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

bodies

Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

planning on stashing some of your collection in your attic or walls for future discoveries after you are long gone?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Since we are discussing attics, here's a tough trivia question. Did attics or basements come first? And here's a follow-up question, what did people originally put in their attic? And what did people originally put in the basement?

Peter C.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dude, are you for real?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

You know one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

See Peter, now I have no clue what your last post was about. Is it a goof, or a real question?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Unfortunately Barry...I think it's a real question.....I don't know what to say....

Peter C- c'mon...ya' know I take up for you a lot but you have to quit with those kinds of questions on the board........It isn't trivia night unless it's about what we are here to discuss..

Old 10-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

"And what did people originally put in the basement?"

Attorneys who asked strange questions.