NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2019, 04:50 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Selling Off Sets in Favor of Singles

I am hoping to solicit some advice from you guys. First off I'll say that what I am talking about does involve postwar sets, but I wanted to post here to get more input. There have been a few threads somewhat like this in the past, but it's been a while and this particular dynamic is a little different. I have a nice 1953 Topps set which is vgex-ex overall, with a mixture of graded and ungraded cards. All of the stars are graded and some commons, including many high numbers are graded, too. If there's a crease in the set, I haven't seen it. My 1954 Topps set is much the same, except that there are a few creases...none in the major cards that I am aware of. Simply put, my tastes are changing. At this point, I would rather own graded star cards/rookies and not sets.

I am considering keeping a few key cards from each set (1953: keeping Mantle, Mays, and Jackie/1954: keeping Aaron, Banks, Kaline, both Williams cards, Jackie, and Mays) and selling off the rest and using the resulting funds to buy some graded 50s star cards that I have been wanting. This would streamline my collection in a big way, and I would feel better about my collection's long-term value. I fully realize that I will probably lose some money in the short term by doing this because like any set builder, I spent more building the set than the set will ever be worth, but in the long-term being able to add graded star power should make this worth it.

Am I crazy for breaking up the sets and doing this? I know I am not alone in moving away from sets in favor of exclusively stars. I used to really enjoy the hunt, the chase, but my tastes are changing as I said.

I would appreciate the thoughts of this group. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Justin

There's no reason to keep cards you don't want. I'm actually doing the exact same thing with my '53 set right now. I'm keeping about 20 cards and selling the rest.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Albert Bee

Default sets

I understand the concept, but I think youd do better selling the compl set...they taking the cash and getting one or two classics
Old 03-23-2019, 05:11 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Selling sets

I recently went through the same scenario. I had put together a nice raw VG-VG/EX 1956 and 1957 Topps set. After completing the sets I decided to sell them off and just purchase some nice graded star cards .For me the fun was putting the sets together . Once they were completed I realized that there were only about 10 cards from each set that I really wanted . I had no interest in keeping all of the commons . I sold the sets complete and picked up some really nice graded HOF cards . I enjoy looking at my new cards and don't really miss my sets as much as I thought. I know that I took a loss when I sold my sets but I don't regret it as I am not a dealer and would not have the time to sell each card as a single. I think that you would have a more difficult time selling off your sets Complete once you take out all of the top stars but if you are in no hurry you
Can sell them as singles. Good Luck in whatever you decide .
Regards John P
Old 03-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Chris Counts

I've done the same thing. Who needs a dozen Wayne Terwilligers? I no longer have a single set, and in most cases, no more than one card per player in my entire collection.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 PM

Good idea. I have been breaking up my late 50’s and 60’s sets during the last few years, keeping some of the nicer star cards. This is how I got my pre war cards. Now I have fewer cards but nicer, cards that I look at more often, other than having tons of cards in boxes and binders. Still have a couple sets 1959 and 1962 and am enjoying my new t and n cards. My goal is to reduce my collection to about 100 of my favorite cards. I am retired, makes sense for me. Collect the cards you really enjoy, sell it if you don’t.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:58 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for the advice thus far. It sounds like I am not too far off in left field after all. The only thing standing between me and my goals is scanning a lot of cards. I get tired just thinking of that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 07:40 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

If it will be a DIY effort, I suggest you break down the set into the following components:

--commons

--scarce series (whether hi or middle depends on the year)

--popular players and minor HOFers

--superstars

and liquidate in that order. The commons are going to go at a discount, but you may be surprised at what you get for a run of them. The stars and popular players may be sellable as singles if you don't mind doing lower dollar, volume retail. The big names are worth selling as singles.

Or you can just consign the sets to a decent AH and let them run with it. They will sell.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-23-2019, 10:03 PM

First off....WPS! Secondly, I've noticed that set collecting is on the decline. Why spend several thousand dollars on commons that sit in boxes or binders when you can take that $$$ and buy any number of Hall of Famers?

Last edited by Orioles1954; 03-23-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:06 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
First off....WPS! Secondly, I've noticed that set collecting is on the decline. Why spend several thousand dollars on commons that sit in boxes or binders when you can take that $$$ and buy any number of Hall of Famers?
James, to your first point...WPS!
To your second point, that is what I am thinking of doing: adding additional HOF cards by selling off the pieces of these sets I no longer want.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 AM

Good discussion here so far.

I definitely could see the point. As the fun to me is the chase of getting the cards to complete the set.

A while back I put together a 1956 topps set, had it for about 6 months complete, then decided to sell it as the fun of working on it outweighed owning it.

Now, for some reason, due to collecting as a kid in the 80's, I am completely content with keeping my 1980's sets because once in a while for nostalgia reasons, I like flipping through the sets.

Another thing I could suggest since Prewar HOF's are hot, you could not only pick up some key 1950's graded rookies/HoF's -- but, also some prewar -- if that interests you, maybe picking up some T206 HOF's, etc. Now obviously the grades would be lower, if you're looking for the same value of the postwar key cards.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:05 AM
Glyn Parson

It’s your collection. It should reflect what you want it to I don’t understand these types of posts. Do what you want and what we bring you the most joy in owning. Why solicit someone else’s opinion about your collection?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:28 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
Good discussion here so far.

I definitely could see the point. As the fun to me is the chase of getting the cards to complete the set.

A while back I put together a 1956 topps set, had it for about 6 months complete, then decided to sell it as the fun of working on it outweighed owning it.

Now, for some reason, due to collecting as a kid in the 80's, I am completely content with keeping my 1980's sets because once in a while for nostalgia reasons, I like flipping through the sets.

Another thing I could suggest since Prewar HOF's are hot, you could not only pick up some key 1950's graded rookies/HoF's -- but, also some prewar -- if that interests you, maybe picking up some T206 HOF's, etc. Now obviously the grades would be lower, if you're looking for the same value of the postwar key cards.
Jason, it's funny you mentioned the 80s because I have been going through the same nostalgic phase for the last year. It has been a blast picking up the cards I couldn't afford as a kid! Regarding your point about T206 HOFers, that had crossed my mind as well. I appreciate your perspective. You have been there and done that.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Sam Lemoine

I was putting together all of the Topps and Bowman sets and I was doing pretty well. I found myself spending large amounts of money for high number cards of common players that I didn't care about. When I found myself dropping hundreds of dollars for guys named Grant Jackson, Frank Campos, and Mike Shannon, I realized that I was approaching it wrong for me. I am gradually selling all of my 50's and 60's sets and I decided to collect this way: 10-15 graded cards of each set that I like. At least 5 will be HOFers and the others will be guys that may/may not be HOFers, but I like personally. This allows me to collect virtually any set and pick and choose which ones I want. I turned a bunch of 1953 Topps into a T202 Mathewson, a T202 Cy Young, and several graded exhibit HOFers. I'm much happier, and the bookcase is getting much lighter.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:53 PM

Robert - You gotta do what makes you happy in this hobby. Only you can decide for yourself. Because sometimes you just gotta say, WTF.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

The hunt and the chase is most important to me. That's why I'm known for saying that I will only collect sets I know I can't complete over a lifetime. I've finished to many projects in the past to just sell them off once completed.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I like your idea and have thought the same for a while now. But I find myself not able to pull the trigger after investing that much time and effort into building a set.

Anyway, after pulling out the cards that I would want to keep, I would consign the rest of the set to one of the larger eBay sellers that deal with individual cards - like Greg Morris (highly recommended) or PWCC. They sell single cards and seem to be able to sell them at a premium. I would be willing to wager that even after paying a consignment fee, you would come out better financially than if you sold them yourself.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default Same thing going on with comics...

I see a lot less collectors interested in completing and keeping huge card sets with the focus now turning to stars, rarities and high grade singles.

I dabble in comics as well as cards and I see the comic industry heading in the same direction where fewer collectors are putting together full runs any more and people are just buying key books.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Jay Cee

Im currently doing the samething. Selling some Exhibit sets along with some 50s sets. Set building is challenging and when I get close to completion, I tend to chase more on cards than what its worth. Concentrating on singles is more my passion now, not too mention a lot easier to keep track of.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:51 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I like your idea and have thought the same for a while now. But I find myself not able to pull the trigger after investing that much time and effort into building a set.

Anyway, after pulling out the cards that I would want to keep, I would consign the rest of the set to one of the larger eBay sellers that deal with individual cards - like Greg Morris (highly recommended) or PWCC. They sell single cards and seem to be able to sell them at a premium. I would be willing to wager that even after paying a consignment fee, you would come out better financially than if you sold them yourself.
I agree with this and it is worth getting in touch with Greg. My experience was that they didn't really like to take the lower grade commons on consignment but it's for sure worth a try as it saves you lots of headaches scanning, listing and shipping. Maybe Greg will see this and chime in?!?!

Good luck with your decision. I think I'm like many others here. I like putting the sets together but then they don't mean much to me after I complete them. It's the chase that is fun. But that's like most things in life. Just think of when you were single and dating!!
Old 03-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Mike Dugan

I think each of us approach sets in our own way. I prefer sets over singles but with that said I am also putting together a type set of any issue I can find.

I like the history of the game so commons are not common to me, liek I said we all approach this in our own ways.

WPS! I went to see Chad Morris last night, great speakernone of Bielema's coach talk. And GO REDDIES!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Why solicit someone else’s opinion about your collection?
LOL at this statement. I actually agree with what you're saying, but isn't that what grading is all about?