NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Matthew Glidden

Default Printing and cutting method for 1941 Goudey R324?

Based on the black-and-white player images over plain color backgrounds, I assume Goudey printed its 33-card 1941 baseball set using a form of screen printing, with ink and paper quality limited by the expense of war-era materials. Once printed, the sheets appear to be hand cut (often misaligned or angled) by different staff than those involved in layout. Some cards were cut (wrongly) with names at the top, some with no names at all, and others (rightly) with names at the bottom.

I'm a novice in lithography and 1940s industrial techniques. Does anyone here know what printing approach their 1941 baseball set used?

Baseball: http://www.oldcardboard.com/r/r324/r324gal.asp

Its overall quality pales in comparison to Goudey's contemporaneous Sky Birds set, so could've been farmed out to different designers and printers, with baseball getting the worse option.

Sky Birds: http://www.skytamer.com/R137.html

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

1941 Goudeys have always been a fustercluck in the area of cuts. They remind me of E220 in that respect, all over the place. I agree, the pending war probably had something to do with it.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
1941 Goudeys have always been a fustercluck in the area of cuts. They remind me of E220 in that respect, all over the place. I agree, the pending war probably had something to do with it.
At least it had weak player selection.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At least it had weak player selection.
Is that why they hired you to cut them?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Is that why they hired you to cut them?
No, I was too busy admiring DiMaggio's mediocre season, see Albert Belle thread.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:36 PM
Matthew Glidden

It's reasonable to build a baseball sheets using 4 row by 6 column, 24-card layouts, as that's what Goudey used in their other 1941 set, Sky Birds. See the image below for one possible half-sheet arrangement that calls out a challenge of piecing 1941 Goudey miscuts into a sheet.

Most of these vertical and horizontal overlaps are verified across card pairs. (Mulcahy above another Mulcahy, McQuinn to right of Mulcahy, Chiozza to right of McQuinn, Rosar to right of Chiozza, Ambler to right of Rosar, and so on.) The problem's that a sheet with these 12 guys doesn't align well to graded population reports. A good arrangement would include known adjacent cards and match up at least somewhat to what's graded.

Based on card artifacts, I found location consistency for some numbers.

1. Mulcahy always at left edge of his sheet
2. Clift also always at left edge of his sheet
17. Tamulis often at right edge, might be in middle of sheet at others
32. Coffman always at right edge of his sheet
33. Ott sometimes at right edge, other times in middle of sheet

Some miscuts follow a similar theme, such as top edge cards cut with partial or missing names. This could've happened if a packager misunderstood where to cut the sheet itself and started horizontally, along the printed line. A higher percentage of players on the top or bottom edge of those sheets could've been discarded. (Some "missing name" cards ended up in packs anyway.)

TBD whether things can ever be nailed down for 41G. We might end up with assumed sheets that group players by graded population and known adjacent spots, with a number of caveats. Or we might end up throwing in the towel. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1941GoudeyRedPossible.jpg (79.7 KB, 132 views)

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

The selection of players is fantastic despite the lack of any real Hall of Famers. Okay, so my gut feeling tis that Goudey was on the financial slide after 1936 and especially 1939 onward. I haven't been able to find the printing company yet, but I doubt it was the U.S. Litho Co. I'm pretty sure it was still a Boston-based printer, probably on Washington St, being printer's row near Chinatown. There was at last 6 companies on that street that were not household names and about a dozen more though out Boston.

America didn't enter the War when these were being issued, so paper and ink rationing wouldn't be the reason for the crappy factory cuts. Those factory cuts couldn't have been made by an experienced printer -no way! It's particularly why I think it was from a first-time small print company -and I also don't think these cards were issued outside Massachusetts because of 1) no copyright and 2) lack of distribution and 3) financial stability of the company.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

Offset lithography would have been what was used, just like nearly every other set of that era. (And I say nearly, because if I say all, someone will point out a set that wasn't done that way. )

The lack of quality in the cutting has puzzled me too, even with equipment older than the 1930's, you almost have to deliberately mess up the cutting to do that poorly.

I think it's possible the printing was done by a printing company, but the cutting was done by Goudey themselves. The printing isn't bad at all, think how few you see that are out of register. I can't recall seeing any at all.

Cuts like what we see on the 41s do happen regularly when one of the scissor/office type paper cutters is used. Which could have been done at Goudey, but would have been really unlikely in a real print shop.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:44 PM
Matthew Glidden

Thanks, getting cards cut inside Goudey by new hires or near-amateurs makes sense to me. Will add this all to the calculus.

1. No copyright and low overall count / distribution
2. Proximity of printers in Boston
3. No date on cards or wrapper