NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 AM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: Pioneer Howard Leheup (memories of T206, 52 Topps hi numbers)

It's been a while since I made one of these hobby history posts, but I found this while going through early issues of The Ballcard Collector, and it was too good not to share. In the February 1967 Ballcard Collector, editor George Martin printed a letter he had received from Howard Leheup. Leheup had been active in the early days of the organized hobby, starting in 1939, and in the 1950s he had bought boxes of unopened packs and made up sets of Topps cards for himself and several other collectors. Like Lionel Carter, whose friend he was, Leheup was a stickler for condition and centering, at a time when most people didn't care much about that.

That letter is in the first scan below, but I've also transcribed it below since the original is pretty faded and hard to read in spots, even after I amped up the contrast. ("Mr. Bray" is Charles Bray, who ran the card auctions in Card Collector's Bulletin six times a year.) Leheup's memories of collecting 1952 Topps high numbers are especially interesting in light of the debate over why those cards are so scarce, and whether they were really dumped in the ocean. The second scan is Lionel Carter's obituary of Leheup in the April 1976 Ballcard Collector, which I previously posted here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221758. It gives a slightly different perspective on some of the same things Leheup wrote about in his letter.,

Dear George,

I received the card collectors list you sent me. You must have gotten my name from Richard Egan. I sent for his list of T206 BB cards. I collected those 1909-1910 cards when I was a boy. But I never saw a T206 in Drum brand until I got a sample card from Dick. I saved all cigarette cards I collected around 1910-1915. Then in 1939 I found out about the Card Collectors Bulletin and started collecting gum cards and having a list I also got the cigarette cards I was missing. Had a lot of fun collecting cards from 39 to 62. Met some very nice people.

In Sept. of 64 I loaded all my cards in the car and took them to Mr. Bray in East Bangor Pa. Had the car trunk and back seat all FULL of cards. Mr. Bray put all the cards in his card sales. He gets 15% but it is well worth it. He mails the cards to the bidders and collects the money. In 1950 I started matching two sets of BB cards baseball and did this every year until 62. Then in 53-62 I made complete sets for 5 other collectors. I charged them 1¢ per card. I bought the gum at the wholesale house for 85¢ for 24 5¢ packages. Then I sold the gum and the mint cards actually cost me 2 for 1¢. For each year by making up 7 sets I ended up with a mess of duplicates. At first I was not going to put all the duplicates in the sale but I did and they all sold for a fair price. I see by your list that you need many Topps 52.

How I remember that set. Topps got a late start with 52 BB. I had 2 sets 1 to 310. Then in the East 1952 football came out. Some were large and some were small. Collectors all over the country were looking for 52 T BB. #'s 311-407. Then I found out a man in New York City had received ALL the cards Topps had left from 311 to 407. I went to N.Y. city and got enough to fill my 2 sets. He sold them for 2¢ each. He could have gotten 10¢ each then for 311-407. I wrote all my friends about it and he soon was all sold out.

So the only cards I have now are 517 different T206 BB all in Piedmont brand. Missing 5 cards to make 522. Wagner (Pitt.) & Plank (Phila.) were found only in Sweet Caps. Demmitt(St. L Amer) and O'Hara (St. L Nat. L.) were found only in Polar Bear Brand. So perhaps the only card missing in my Piedmont is Dahlen, portrait (Brooklyn).

This Piedmont set I have mounted. They are all in nice condition. On the blank page on the left I have the players full name & position played. Date born and date died. There are not too many of them still living. This set I will keep until I die. I had 2 complete sets of R319 Big League (240). They brought a good price.

Best Regards,
Howard Leheup

Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM

Thank you, David, for posting the original hobby papers (AND TRANSCRIPTION !!!!) of a beloved hobby pioneer, Howard Leheup. I seem to recall reading Mr. Carter's beautiful tribute to his friend and fellow collector. I truly enjoyed reading it once again.

Thanks again, friend, for taking the time and trouble to share with us these significant hobby letters / articles.

David, I wish I could interest you in my E-book on a CD on immediate post-war regional / food issues. It's jam-packed with lots of hobby lore and juicy stories. With tongue in cheek, I've referred to it as "the lore of the gorged!".

However, I didn't begin this post to make a reference to my work. First and foremost, I savored reading these pieces once again---great stuff!

Take care, and stay safe and warm. Currently where I live in Indiana, it is -18 degrees, with a windchill of -40! ---- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Outstanding post. That man in NYC on the 52 highs would likely have been either Sam Rosen (died 12/31/58) or his stepson Woody Gelman, although I suspect they escaped in two batches several years apart. Barges my ass.

Last edited by toppcat; 01-31-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nice to see that he loved my favorite set, the T51 Murad Colleges.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great article. Thanks for posting it, David.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Great post David! I really enjoyed reading it.