NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2019, 04:08 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Significant WaJo discovery and mystery

This picture of the 1905 Olinda Oil Wells baseball team with a 17 year-old Walter Johnson was recently sent to the Brea Historical Society by its owner, who was seeking any information they might have about the team, and they in turn forwarded it to me. Not long ago, I donated to the Historical Society my research papers and some memorabilia relating to Johnson's time playing semipro ball in Southern California during the years 1904-10. As the co-author of a lengthy article on the subject (http://cwcfamily.org/wj/cc0.htm) as well as his biographer, they figured I might be able to shed some light on it. Needless to say, I was blown away by this discovery, the only photograph I'm aware of capturing Johnson with one of the several SoCal semipro teams for whom he pitched prior to ascending to the American League in 1907. My cousin and co-author of the article, Chuck Carey, who lives in Anaheim, and I had each devoted countless hours in the search for just such a photo without success, and here it was! Not only that, it pictured the young Johnson with his FIRST professional outfit. Here's where the mystery comes in: I can't figure out where this picture came from, and that's important because the source of this picture might possibly picture some of the other semipro teams Johnson pitched for during this seminal period: Olive, Rivera, Anaheim, Santa Ana, and San Diego. The picture is in the style of the major baseball guides of the time: Spalding, Reach, Lajoie's, John McGraw's, and Wright and Ditson. All of those for the year 1906, which would have included 1905 teams, can be accessed online (http://www.seanlahman.com/2014/08/20...seball-guides/) and none picture semipro teams. The Wright and Ditson guide for this year is unavailable on the web, so I couldn't check that one, perhaps it was the source. An additional clue came from the owner of the picture, who said a team from Compton was on the other side, which makes me wonder if there was perhaps a West Coast version of one of the major guides, or a separate guide altogether for the coast teams. The owner, who also dated it 1905, was supposed to have long ago received it and gotten back to us with any further information, but has been silent so far, so I thought I would present the picture and mystery to the forum. There is another future big leaguer in the photo, by the way: Jack Burnett, who played in 59 games for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1907. It's amazing what's still out there waiting to be discovered, isn't it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olinda Scan.jpg (78.1 KB, 531 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-29-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
?
It's certainly a mystery!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Garth Guibord

I wonder if the significance has anything to do with a pickle...
Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
?
Questionable post.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Jeremy W.

I read the original post & didn't see an image of the find?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
I read the original post & didn't see an image of the find?
It should be all fixed now.. The scan was too large. And the grainy look to it is the way it came over. (and a really cool discovery at that)

Last edited by Leon; 01-29-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Great find! Thanks for posting it, and I hope you solve the mystery of its source.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

Odd that his face is more obscured than the other players.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

You wonder if at 17 he had any idea how good he was.

Here we are 110 plus years later, and he would still probably get more votes than anyone else as the greatest ever.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Here we are 110 plus years later, and he would still probably get more votes than anyone else as the greatest ever.
Did you forget about Mariano already?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:

At that point it was probably as much a surprise to him as it was to everyone else.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Did you forget about Mariano already?
I'm 200 miles from the Bronx.

Seriously, I don't see how there's any debate that the Big Train is #1, but I wouldn't call you insane if you said Grove or Seaver or Clemens.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:38 PM
Bry@n

Very cool, thanks for sharing Hank.

I tried to dig around a bit and came across a 1922 bibliography of The Spalding Baseball Collection, online here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9U...page&q&f=false

This shows at least two possibilities (there may be more):

Pg 6 Spalding's Official Pacific Coast Base Ball Book 1910-1911

Pg 23 Pacific Association of the Amateur Athletic Union of the United States 1910

I know someone at the HOF that has helped me research a few things - if we reach a dead end here shoot me an email and I can drop her a line.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 PM
Pete S.

Amazing find. These types of posts make this place terrific. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Chris Counts

It looks like something that was cut out of an old baseball guide, like the ones produced by Spalding or Reach. I'm not sure how early they did these, but I have an Oakland Oaks team photo clipped from a 1912 guide, and it's cropped and labeled the same way. There's lots of these clippings on eBay, and they don't sell for much, although some of sellers claim they are some kind of premium, or even, a card.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing Hank.

I tried to dig around a bit and came across a 1922 bibliography of The Spalding Baseball Collection, online here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=9U...page&q&f=false

This shows at least two possibilities (there may be more):

Pg 6 Spalding's Official Pacific Coast Base Ball Book 1910-1911

Pg 23 Pacific Association of the Amateur Athletic Union of the United States 1910

I know someone at the HOF that has helped me research a few things - if we reach a dead end here shoot me an email and I can drop her a line.
Yes, please do, Bryan, and thanks for your help. If there was a 1906 version of the "Spalding Pacific Coast Base Ball Book," that would be the most likely candidate. Or, if that 1910-1911 edition was the only one ever done, perhaps they filled it out with teams from earlier years. There were also Spanish-American and British editions of the Spalding guide for 1906, I wonder if those might have included some semipro teams not in the regular American edition.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
It looks like something that was cut out of an old baseball guide, like the ones produced by Spalding or Reach. I'm not sure how early they did these, but I have an Oakland Oaks team photo clipped from a 1912 guide, and it's cropped and labeled the same way. There's lots of these clippings on eBay, and they don't sell for much, although some of sellers claim they are some kind of premium, or even, a card.
Yes, it's definitely taken from a guide, and would have little or no value as such. However, the historical value of the only known--and previously thought not to exist--picture of Johnson at the very beginning of his professional career--is enormous. According to the link I provided with the listing of guides published, there were four of them in 1906: Spalding, Reach, LaJoie's, and Wright and Ditson. I went through the first three and not only didn't I find the Olinda team pictured, there weren't any semipro teams at all. I couldn't find a copy of the Wright and Ditson guide online, so I don't know about it. Perhaps the HOF or LOC has one. The page with the Olinda team picture is very much in the style of the guides I saw, as you pointed out.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I'm 200 miles from the Bronx.

Seriously, I don't see how there's any debate that the Big Train is #1, but I wouldn't call you insane if you said Grove or Seaver or Clemens.
IMO, there are at least a dozen, and maybe more like 15, that you can mount a credible case for.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:38 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
IMO, there are at least a dozen, and maybe more like 15, that you can mount a credible case for.
There really were some great pitchers back in the day. Walter was certainly at or near the top, imo.
To the original first post, the discovery of this 1905 Olinda Oil Wells picture of him at 17 yrs old and in uniform, is a great way to start 2019!! Thanks for sharing it.

I was just reading his Wiki page and incidentally it has this other, much later picture of him there.

Last edited by Leon; 01-31-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There really were some great pitchers back in the day. Walter was certainly at or near the top, imo.
To the original first post, the discovery of this 1905 Olinda Oil Wells picture of him at 17 yrs old and in uniform, is a great way to start 2019!! Thanks for sharing it.

I was just reading his Wiki page and incidentally it has this other, much later picture of him there.

Not that much later, Leon, just four years. He's still only 21 years old in yours. Incidentally, do we know whether those postcards ever got sold, or are your prototypes all there is to that issue? And I'm still looking for the source of that Olinda picture, clearly some kind of guide similar to the Spalding and Reach guides of the period, but right now that's all I know.