NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-23-2018, 12:26 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVader View Post
Inquiring MIND it seems --- and not sure what you are asking at that ?

I am saying Mr Earl John Son of Cleveland is the person who is in possession of LOWPOPPER's missing mantle. Can I be more clear? I am available should anyone need me.

At Disney This Week,

C. Vader
So lemme get this straight because I am not the smartest guy. You maybe at Disneyland but I feel like I am on a ride.

You met Greg (lowpopper) with your uncle at Greg's booth. Had a brief discussion with him. You also happened to see him in the line waiting to get ice cream but he did not see you and you happened to hear him talking about a card, which you assumed was the Mantle.

You wanted to contact Greg about the missing Mantle and just happened to find this website and this post. Wouldn't it have been easier to find Greg directly since you and your uncle must have had his contact info?

Greg did not see the card get stolen, from what I understand (though Greg has been brief), but you know who took it and you are accusing Earl Johnson (Mr. Earl John Son of Cleveland), who he was with, of being that person who took it?
Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
WOW!!! I never would have pegged Earl as a thief!
I'm sure someone has reached out to him, this I just have a hard time believing.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
So lemme get this straight because I am not the smartest guy. You maybe at Disneyland but I feel like I am on a ride.

You met Greg (lowpopper) with your uncle at Greg's booth. Had a brief discussion with him. You also happened to see him in the line waiting to get ice cream but he did not see you and you happened to hear him talking about a card, which you assumed was the Mantle.

You wanted to contact Greg about the missing Mantle and just happened to find this website and this post. Wouldn't it have been easier to find Greg directly since you and your uncle must have had his contact info?

Greg did not see the card get stolen, from what I understand (though Greg has been brief), but you know who took it and you are accusing Earl Johnson (Mr. Earl John Son of Cleveland), who he was with, of being that person who took it?
In post 44 Greg appears to agree with her version, as incoherent as I found it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Did I miss the part where she said she actually saw Earl take the card? As Peter wrote, it was a tough read.

-Orlando Rodri guez of Miami

Last edited by orly57; 08-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Did I miss the part where she said she actually saw Earl take the card? As Peter wrote, it was a tough read.

-Orlando Rodri guez of Miami
I thought she said she observed Earl at the ice cream stand talking to Greg. Seems unlikely Earl took the card then hung around to chat with Greg at the ice cream stand.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:25 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default ?????????missing mantle

Earl Johnson is no longer working for SGC because he got another job with another company right at the time of their move to Florida, and he did NOTHING unethical that caused his dismissal..

As far as I am concerned, Earl has always been a very fine & decent person...pretty hard to believe he is capable of doing something as was being represented in this thread, and because these are serious statements that are now being made public, these discussions should tread carefully.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Following up on what Larry said, to C Vader, what's the basis for your accusation?

Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Following up on what Larry said, to C Vader, what's the basis for your accusation?
I guess I must not have been clear but that was the intent of my post 101 from earlier. Greg did not confirm it was Earl but has not come on here and denied it either.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I guess I must not have been clear but that was the intent of my post 101 from earlier. Greg did not confirm it was Earl but has not come on here and denied it either.
Greg's first post asks for any info on its whereabouts, so presumably he doesn't know who stole it?

I could be wrong but there's something off about this whole thread.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-23-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:30 PM
Chase

Quote:
Greg's first post asks for any info on its whereabouts, so presumably he doesn't know who stole it?

I could be wrong but there's something off about this whole thread.
Yes...again that was my overall point. C Vader knows who stole it but Greg has lead on that he does not know but he sorta infers it was Earl (in his reply to C Vader) but just has not come out and said so.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes...again that was my overall point. C Vader knows who stole it but Greg has lead on that he does not know but he sorta infers it was Earl (in his reply to C Vader) but just has not come out and said so.
IMO it behooves Greg to come back here and say exactly what it is he knows and doesn't know instead of all this cryptic stuff. Especially when a man with a good hobby reputation has now been accused of theft.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Lisa Prod.eline

FYI-Earl wasn't offered a position in Florida. And I have no doubt he stole the card.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Chase

Quote:
IMO it behooves Greg to come back here and say exactly what it is he knows and doesn't know instead of all this vagueness.
Agreed. The details are pretty vague and C Vader's appearance and involvement in all of this is just way too coincidental.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lprodeline View Post
FYI-Earl wasn't offered a position in Florida. And I have no doubt he stole the card.
That's going to require a full name.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 PM
Greg C

If you read my previous posts, I have only stated the facts of the unfortunate scenario. It sounds like something out of a B movie and it angers me to think somebody got me with my guard down.

The Mantle was passed around at the ice cream stand. We all parted ways without me saying “WHERE IS MY EFFING CARD”. Moments later, I am minus 1 mantle rookie.

These are the FACTS of what happened. I will not offer any specific “opinions” about this issue publicly on this forum. It is unfortunate this had to happen. All I can say to everyone who reads this is to learn from my mistake. Make sure you are spatially aware of your items at all times. They can and will spontaneously grow legs.

As for the Vader character, I reached out to her on a direct message and got no
reply. With all the clowning that goes on through this forum, I would not be surprised if it was someone sitting behind a keyboard having some fun at my expense. I salute you, troll.

This is Greg, signing off. Everybody just keep an eye out for my card. That’s all I ask. Have a good weekend.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 AM
Lonnie Nagel

movie
Old 08-24-2018, 07:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
If you read my previous posts, I have only stated the facts of the unfortunate scenario. It sounds like something out of a B movie and it angers me to think somebody got me with my guard down.

The Mantle was passed around at the ice cream stand. We all parted ways without me saying “WHERE IS MY EFFING CARD”. Moments later, I am minus 1 mantle rookie.

These are the FACTS of what happened. I will not offer any specific “opinions” about this issue publicly on this forum. It is unfortunate this had to happen. All I can say to everyone who reads this is to learn from my mistake. Make sure you are spatially aware of your items at all times. They can and will spontaneously grow legs.

As for the Vader character, I reached out to her on a direct message and got no
reply. With all the clowning that goes on through this forum, I would not be surprised if it was someone sitting behind a keyboard having some fun at my expense. I salute you, troll.

This is Greg, signing off. Everybody just keep an eye out for my card. That’s all I ask. Have a good weekend.
That is dirty!

I assume you have reached out to, Leon, as I would assume he has a lot more of her info on her whereabouts? Phone number, etc.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Lprodeline appears to have worked for SGC Authentic, judging by this and another post.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...00&postcount=2

Weirder and weirder, to paraphrase Alice.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-24-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

And it just got weirder. So two women have now come on this thread (assuming C Vader is who she says she is) to accuse Earl. One who worked for or works for SGC Authentic supposedly and one who though she claims to be from Florida where Earl never worked somehow knew who he was and that he had worked for SGC.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-24-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Hope you filed a police report on the spot

They likely would have spoken to the last 3 people (Greg, partner and Earl??) to hold the card. If not already done, probably still worth doing. Police have ways of making people talk.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:05 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Wow, that us terrible. I guess the proof would be when someone offers it for sale, via text on their cell phone or otherwise, or its subbed for grading.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Mark

Getting back to the thread about tracking expensive cards, couldn't PSA make a special outer holder that could only be removed by the dealer? Kind of like the tags they put on clothes or games at Target.

Only authorized dealers would have the tool to open it and likely only use it on real high end cards. Try and crack it without it and die would ruin it.

Just a thought
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
That's going to require a full name.
The full name is out there however, this member doesn't have a good phone number on file. "She" is gone. Apparently this person used to work at SGC quite some time ago. I would not believe anything this member said at this point because it is possibly not who it is portrayed to be. It was a 5 yr old membership. That said, there is this newer info....

I have information from a credible source that Earl didn't take this card and this Lisa person has a grudge against him from years ago. And my source says SGC did in fact offer Earl a job but he couldn't take it due to personal matters. I confirmed Earl is in good standing with SGC.

Last edited by Leon; 08-24-2018 at 08:44 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The full name is out there however, this member doesn't have a good phone number on file. "She" is gone. Apparently this person used to work at SGC quite some time ago. I would not believe anything this member said at this point because it is possibly not who it is portrayed to be. It was a 5 yr old membership.

I have information from a credible source that Earl didn't take this card and this Lisa person has a grudge against him from years ago. And my source says SGC did in fact offer Earl a job but he he couldn't take it due to personal matters. I confirmed Earl is in good standing with SGC.
Thats good to know....I didn't think Earl would do something like this....
Old 08-24-2018, 08:45 AM
And.rew Whi.te

How terrible it is that someone's name can be dragged through the mud by a drive by poster like Earl's name has.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
How terrible it is that someone's name can be dragged through the mud by a drive by poster like Earl's name has.
I agree. The whole thing can be deleted on this forum but then it can look worse because others have quoted, responded etc..unless those are deleted too? The best thing to probably do is just put it out here that Earl didn't do anything wrong as far as anyone has shown, whatsoever. My understanding is that this person has also posted damning things on Twitter, which I don't frequent at all. And maybe other places too.
Hey, there is a place on one site where my name is next to a quote saying I am saying it's ok to steal as long as you don't get caught LOL. For the record, I don't and have never believed that., But it is out there as I am saying it. What can you do?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:00 AM
Peter Spaeth

IMO Greg continuing to be cryptic is part of the problem. If Earl wasn't there, or if he doesn't think Earl is culpable, he should say so.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-24-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Chase

Quote:
IMO Greg continuing to be cryptic is part of the problem. If Earl wasn't there, or if he doesn't think Earl is culpable, he should say so.
He confirmed that Earl was there in line with him waiting for ice cream. I do not know Earl but he is being made to look like a thief. Greg is being a bit irresponsible with how he has handled this and it makes me question if he is being 100% truthful. If anyone knows Earl maybe he should be contacted so he can decide if he wants to pipe in?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:13 AM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
So you brought your Mantle to the ice cream stand, it was passed around among several people, and you forgot and left without it? Is that correct?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
So you brought your Mantle to the ice cream stand, it was passed around among several people, and you forgot and left without it? Is that correct?
The lure of a triple scoop waffle cone can be quite distracting.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
:-) This thread needed some levity because to quote Capt. Miller in Saving Private Ryan..."Things have taken a turn for the surreal."

Last edited by commishbob; 08-24-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:26 AM
G.ary L.eavitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The full name is out there however, this member doesn't have a good phone number on file. "She" is gone. Apparently this person used to work at SGC quite some time ago. I would not believe anything this member said at this point because it is possibly not who it is portrayed to be. It was a 5 yr old membership. That said, there is this newer info....

I have information from a credible source that Earl didn't take this card and this Lisa person has a grudge against him from years ago. And my source says SGC did in fact offer Earl a job but he couldn't take it due to personal matters. I confirmed Earl is in good standing with SGC.
For what it’s worth, Earl came to work with us at Baseball Card Roadshows for a year. He didn’t want to move to Florida. During his time with us he was around hundreds of thousands of dollars of cash and inventory and we were never concerned nor had any issues.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

I could be wrong, but my gut says the problem is not with Earl, it's with the unidentified third guy. Now why two (apparent) women have jumped on this thread to accuse Earl, I haven't figured out.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
As for the Vader character, I reached out to her on a direct message and got no reply. With all the clowning that goes on through this forum, I would not be surprised if it was someone sitting behind a keyboard having some fun at my expense. I salute you, troll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVader View Post
We met briefly at National when you were viewing my Step-Uncle's RED HEART set and you two were talking about doing the "Purple Sticker" on his Mantle 4.5 VG-EX+. Not sure if you remember me? I am the girl who said 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' I had Florida Gators hat.
She gave a pretty good description of herself. Do you not remember talking to a guy about his Red Heart set and a girl being with him? Did she not say what she said she did (about the dog food label)? Was she not in a Florida Gators hat? You make it sound like you never saw her or talked to her. Either she's making the whole thing up or you have a really bad memory.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Welcome to the internet.

Quote:
He confirmed that Earl was there in line with him waiting for ice cream....
Now we really know ice cream is bad for you in several ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Love it. We can always depend on Frank to raise the humor bar at just the right time.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:01 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
That is certainly not unique to this board or our hobby. The things that are said and assumed about anyone simply accused of a crime these days can be pretty brutal. It seems the presumption of innocence until guilt has been proven is a foreign concept to many.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Johnny MaZilli

All time lows ugh
Old 08-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Chase

Quote:
And it just got weirder. So two women have now come on this thread (assuming C Vader is who she says she is) to accuse Earl. One who worked for or works for SGC Authentic supposedly and one who though she claims to be from Florida where Earl never worked somehow knew who he was and that he had worked for SGC.
Pretty amazing, eh, for a "female" who would say the following: 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' If she knows Earl Johnson and knows he worked for SGC and was let go, then she should not be shocked by the fact that guys collect dog food labels referring to Red Hearts. Heck I have been in the hobby for 6 years and not even sure I recall hearing the name Earl Johnson until this thread let alone knowing he worked for SGC.

I am no profiler but I do not believe for a minute that C. Vader is female. I also am not sure I believe a 51 Mantle was actually stolen or is even missing. Something is just not sitting right with me and I hope I am wrong.

What I do know is that Earl has obviously pissed off some people out there that they would come on here and accuse him of theft and the person whose card was allegedly stolen is not denying these "women's" claims. Honestly this feels pretty irresponsible from my vantage point.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

And Vader overhears Greg and her step-uncle talking about stickering the uncle's Mantle 4.5, and then by some coincidence the same card (in a 4) ends up being the one stolen from Greg? Something is BS here.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-24-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:19 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Love it. We can always depend on Frank to raise the humor bar at just the right time.
He didn't just raise the humor bar regarding ice cream... it was Good Humor.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default RE???????????missing Mantle

I usually do not post more than once in a while but this thread is particularly alarming...first...SGC Lisa is wrong, Earl could have gone to Florida but opted to go to work for the card company that actually bought/buys large quantities of cards on the road(roadshow). I spoke to SGC and it was a mutual business decision with NO underhanded issues. second, even if there was an issue, no one should have his reputation put through the mud without a police report or some kind of documented legal proof, it is very wrong to accuse someone through a forum by this method of accusation and if the card of that value was stolen, a police report should have been issued anyway!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don’t know why ppl are doubting that C Vader is a female. She describes herself and says that she met Greg. Greg never contradicted any of her posts. She just happened to be a witness to the ice cream stand incident. I’m not saying Earl stole the card. She just saw the event right before the theft happened. Maybe Earl passed the card to someone else who gave it to another person who took the card.

Quote:
Pretty amazing, eh, for a "female" who would say the following: 'I cant believe you guys are collecting Dog Food Labels LOL!' If she knows Earl Johnson and knows he worked for SGC and was let go, then she should not be shocked by the fact that guys collect dog food labels referring to Red Hearts. Heck I have been in the hobby for 6 years and not even sure I recall hearing the name Earl Johnson until this thread let alone knowing he worked for SGC.

I am no profiler but I do not believe for a minute that C. Vader is female. I also am not sure I believe a 51 Mantle was actually stolen or is even missing. Something is just not sitting right with me and I hope I am wrong.

What I do know is that Earl has obviously pissed off some people out there that they would come on here and accuse him of theft and the person whose card was allegedly stolen is not denying these "women's" claims. Honestly this feels pretty irresponsible from my vantage point.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Paint historian raises a great point/question.

Greg,

Did you/when did you file a police report?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don’t know why ppl are doubting that C Vader is a female. She describes herself and says that she met Greg. Greg never contradicted any of her posts. She just happened to be a witness to the ice cream stand incident. I’m not saying Earl stole the card. She just saw the event right before the theft happened. Maybe Earl passed the card to someone else who gave it to another person who took the card.
Greg has not confirmed or denied too much but he did just write "As for the Vader character, I reached out to her on a direct message and got no
reply. With all the clowning that goes on through this forum, I would not be surprised if it was someone sitting behind a keyboard having some fun at my expense. I salute you, troll."
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

In post 44 of this thread, Greg said that he agreed with C Vader’s summary of the event. She was the first person to describe that event happening so she could not have made it up and probably was there.

Quote:
Greg has not confirmed or denied too much but he did just write "As for the Vader character, I reached out to her on a direct message and got no
reply. With all the clowning that goes on through this forum, I would not be surprised if it was someone sitting behind a keyboard having some fun at my expense. I salute you, troll."
Old 08-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
In post 44 of this thread, Greg said that he agreed with C Vader’s summary of the event. She was the first person to describe that event happening so she could not have made it up and probably was there.
Am aware of that but then most recently he dismisses C. Vader. Seems to be a lack of clarity and a lack of consistency.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Am aware of that but then most recently he dismisses C. Vader. Seems to be a lack of clarity and a lack of consistency.
I didn't even understand Vader's post in the first place. How did her anecdote help in any way?
Old 08-25-2018, 01:09 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensie View Post
I didn't even understand Vader's post in the first place. How did her anecdote help in any way?
I have never suggested that C. Vader's posts helped at all. Maybe ask glchen. I have only questioned the validity and motive of Vader's posts.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Christopher Zu.psic

Umm, where is Greg to answer these questions? He’s been signed on the last two days. I call BS!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default far more questions than answers so far

Who else was at the ice cream stand with Greg and Earl?

Did Greg file a police report?

Who is C Vader and what was the motive for his/her post?

Why does Lisa Prodeline have a grudge against Earl to the point where she would lie about his employment and accuse him of stealing a card?

Why is Greg being so evasive?

Was this card, in fact, stolen?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-25-2018 at 10:06 PM.