NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Mark Ness

Default Which price guide do you guys feel is most accurate

I was wondering which price guide the majority of you guys use to figure out the value of pre war and vintage graded PSA and SGC cards. I noticed the majority of prices in the SMR are way lower than what ebay and other auction houses are listed at.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 PM
pete ullman

i use the old Sports Collectors Bible! But most accurate...that'd be alan hagers book!

Last edited by ullmandds; 11-13-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Scott S

Buy a subscription to VCP (vintagecardprices.com) and get a history of actual sales of graded cards. I find this history of actual sales to be the most accurate and reliable.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM
James
James Kin.chen

VCP is the most accurate. SMR is usually way too high or way too low.
James
Old 11-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Buy a subscription to VCP (vintagecardprices.com) and get a history of actual sales of graded cards. I find this history of actual sales to be the most accurate and reliable.
^^^^^This..
VCP is the only way to go.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:02 PM
Ben North

Not a price guide but I always use completed auctions on eBay. IMO pretty hard to get more accurate than that.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

The free option: http://www.cardtarget.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I use completed sales on ebay and Google.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I agree with most here, SMR is a long way from reality. I use VCP and completed eBay auctions.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I just go by what the market bares by using ebay comps
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:07 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I would like to have a dollar for every thread pertaining SGC and PSA
Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Jay Cee

Investors use guides and collectors use their own reasoning of how bad they want it as a guide doesn't matter.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:46 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Investors use guides and collectors use their own reasoning of how bad they want it as a guide doesn't matter.
Very true!
Old 11-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB View Post
The free option: http://www.cardtarget.com
+1 for all we cheapos. And feebay sales. Only look at SMR for giggles.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Alan Florjancic

Any thoughts on Beckett?
Old 11-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Brendan Mullen

Ebay and completed auctions sales.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I completely disagree. I am a collector, not an investor. I have been in this hobby for over 30 years. I have bought lots and rarely sold anything.

Just because I put a lot of money into this hobby does not mean I'm willing to overpay...not in the least. In fact, I feel that my long term commitment to this hobby and my patience as a collector entitle me to better-than-average prices on items I want. That is how I approach my buying. So I always want to know previous recent selling prices at auction to ensure I'm not overpaying. The fact is that most material (even tough pre-war stuff) becomes available at least once a year and often more frequently. If I can't get a price at or below average in one auction, I'll let it go and wait for the next one.

I know many collectors who share this approach.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 11-16-2016, 02:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne View Post
Any thoughts on Beckett?
They are probably busy suing someone for having a checklist.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Jay Cee

I understand your point of view Blair. However over paying today is tomorrow's value. I'm like you with being a collector for 30 plus years and I have over paid on many items, at that time. I won a Zeenut DiMaggio with coupon for 7 times the book price back in 1996 and the following week the SCD even wrote about it.

The next couple years the book kept raising the price on it to where it was what I had paid for it (Hi to Bob Lemke) if you are reading. Heck, I over pay for nice stuff every time I see Terry Knouse as its rare. Now, I haven't pulled the trigger with BMW yet. Lol

If I'm reading you correctly Blair, you do the "shot gun" approach where you bid on many items and then what's still at a fair price for that time you buy it. I do the same thing as my taste are all over the board.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Jimmy

Standard catalog and completed eBay sales
Old 11-16-2016, 06:25 PM
cha.d car.lson

ebay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2016, 06:52 AM
D.mitr.y D.

I used to do completed eBay sales, then moved on to ListingHistory (2+ years of eBay sales history), and now do VCP exclusively - mostly for ease of use, the addition of auction house data, and the added ability to keep track of my collection.

I feel that eBay is too limited with only 90 days of sales history. ListingHistory is much better with over 2 years' worth of data, but it's much more difficult and time consuming to navigate and research compared to VCP.

I also tried cardtarget, but didn't like it.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 11-17-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
I used to do completed eBay sales, then moved on to ListingHistory (2+ years of eBay sales history), and now do VCP exclusively - mostly for ease of use, the addition of auction house data, and the added ability to keep track of my collection.

I feel that eBay is too limited with only 90 days of sales history. ListingHistory is much better with over 2 years' worth of data, but it's much more difficult and time consuming to navigate and research compared to VCP.

I also tried cardtarget, but didn't like it.
Just a difference of opinion here but on most items I don't really care what they sold for 2 years ago. 90 days is fine for me in terms of relevance. I also use Price Realized for truly special items. They're great for non-card items too.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM
rgpete

Price Guides, just data to be manipulated
Old 11-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Default arms length?

I use ebay and pwcc auction history. Lower value cards are probably pretty good measures of value, though I get worried when I see the exact same card re-sold within a month. PWCC seems to indicate sales that fell through with a zero sold price.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just a difference of opinion here but on most items I don't really care what they sold for 2 years ago. 90 days is fine for me in terms of relevance. I also use Price Realized for truly special items. They're great for non-card items too.
While I agree that stuff that sold 2 years ago isn't entirely relevant, I believe that anything within the past calendar year is relevant, which makes 90 days not enough. In many cases, there won't even be a single sale within the last 90 days, which makes it difficult to ascertain market value. For truly special/rare items that only come up for sale every few years, that's when sales from even 10 years ago could help with determining market value.

In short, if I were collecting post-war stuff that has dozens of recent sales, then 90 days would probably be fine. However, I collect mainly pre-war, and 90 days of data doesn't always cut it for me.

Never heard of PriceRealized until just now - going to check it out.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 11-18-2016 at 06:50 AM.