NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I'm not sure what else I can do.
It's pretty simple, really. You can be a man, and honor your word. You may not get your replacement right away, and you may end up paying more than you would have. Is this card really worth ruining your reputation over?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:35 AM

Would implementing a fee for using the BST board eliminate these problems ?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Would implementing a fee for using the BST board eliminate these problems ?
That has been suggested before and won't happen on this watch.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Forget about getting lawyers involved, just send Papelbon.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:51 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
It's pretty simple, really. You can be a man, and honor your word. You may not get your replacement right away, and you may end up paying more than you would have. Is this card really worth ruining your reputation over?
That Dan did not even see that as an option -- thus the "what else can I do?" -- is pretty disturbing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM

From afar I see both sides. But in the end I think a card is yours until it's not yours and even though it might rub people the wrong way, keeping your card is your right. I think it'll make people less willing to do business with you, but I also don't see any real harm done if funds are returned.

The secondary sales seems independent of the transaction between buyer and seller, though I understand they add to the frustration.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

My experiences on BST have been overwhelmingly positive, but I have had three bad ones…two moderately bad in a piss you off kind of way, the other probably a seven on a scale of 1 to 10.

Since you sold the card to a friend, can't you just explain what happened and buy it back? Seems reasonable to me. You are then at least no worse off for the experience.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
My experiences on BST have been overwhelmingly positive, but I have had three bad ones…two moderately bad in a piss you off kind of way, the other probably a seven on a scale of 1 to 10.

Since you sold the card to a friend, can't you just explain what happened and buy it back? Seems reasonable to me. You are then at least no worse off for the experience.
Perhaps Eric unlike Dan is a man who keeps his word and doesn't want to do that.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
From afar I see both sides. But in the end I think a card is yours until it's not yours and even though it might rub people the wrong way, keeping your card is your right. I think it'll make people less willing to do business with you, but I also don't see any real harm done if funds are returned.

The secondary sales seems independent of the transaction between buyer and seller, though I understand they add to the frustration.
That analysis would apply equally if Dan had reneged because he found someone willing to pay more. Would you bless that too?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Or the obvious...GoBucs got a better offer somewhere and the card is (re)sold, so he cannot honor the deal...no idea if this is true but it would be simple to just honor the deal and move on...I cannot see another reason not to honor the deal.

Joshua
Old 09-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Steve Birmingham

This is how it was done at the business school I went to

Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 AM
Trey

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
From afar I see both sides. But in the end I think a card is yours until it's not yours and even though it might rub people the wrong way, keeping your card is your right.
I agree with this statement, but disagree with how you are applying it to this situation.

Once fully paid for, the OP was the owner of the card. The seller may have still had possession of the card, but ownership had changed hands.

So yes, a card is yours until its not, but I think in this case.....it was not the seller's card anymore.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I agree with this statement, but disagree with how you are applying it to this situation.

Once fully paid for, the OP was the owner of the card. The seller may have still had possession of the card, but ownership had changed hands.

So yes, a card is yours until its not, but I think in this case.....it was not the seller's card anymore.
So if an instant after the deal was done Dan's house had burned down and the card with it, Eric would have been out of luck because he was now the owner? No, because Dan still had title according to the law, until he completed his obligations with respect to shipping.

Section 2-401(2) of the UCC provides that “title passes to the buyer at the time and place at which seller completes his performance with reference to the physical delivery of the goods.”

But all that, to me, is beside the point.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-28-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 AM
J.R. Lebert

Dan, bad deal on your part, bud. Once you agreed to the deal, you should have honored it. Once you received the funds, that pretty much sealed it. While nothing legally was done wrong, and this isn't something any of us haven't seen before or are surprised that it happens, it is, for lack of a better term, shady. I will be sure to avoid any deals with you in the future, and I imagine others on this board will or already are.

Leon, do you think it should be a BST rule that you have to have the card in hand before putting it up for sale/trade? I agree that there is no logical way to enforce this, but just having the rule would possibly prevent at least some of these shady characters from trying this here.

What do you think?

Also working on a 1951 Bowman Baseball set, free of gum stains.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So if an instant after the deal was done Dan's house had burned down and the card with it, Eric would have been out of luck because he was now the owner? No, because Dan still had title according to the law, until he completed his obligations with respect to shipping.

Section 2-401(2) of the UCC provides that “title passes to the buyer at the time and place at which seller completes his performance with reference to the physical delivery of the goods.”

Always the truculent one
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Why do you feel badly for a guy who RENEGED on a done deal? I don't get that.
+1
...whatever I want
Old 09-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Gobucsmagic74

I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose. If some of you don't agree and opt not to do business with me in the future then so be it. There are many, many other avenues available for selling cards at our collective disposal so losing this particular avenue to a percentage of the board is not going to influence my decision one way or another. Neither will anyone's opinion of me as a person, seller, or otherwise.

That said, I have already expressed to Eric that I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a suitable replacement. I know many of you feel I should do that now, and although you are certainly entitled to that opinion, that is not the course I'm choosing to take with the card at this time. This will be my last comment on this particular subject, although I do reserve the right to defend myself against any additional erroneous accusations.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 09-28-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlebert View Post
Dan, bad deal on your part, bud. Once you agreed to the deal, you should have honored it. Once you received the funds, that pretty much sealed it. While nothing legally was done wrong, and this isn't something any of us haven't seen before or are surprised that it happens, it is, for lack of a better term, shady. I will be sure to avoid any deals with you in the future, and I imagine others on this board will or already are.

Leon, do you think it should be a BST rule that you have to have the card in hand before putting it up for sale/trade? I agree that there is no logical way to enforce this, but just having the rule would possibly prevent at least some of these shady characters from trying this here.

What do you think?
I think the fewer rules the better, just like govt. Less is better. As long as no one is out any money and it's not too frequent of an occurance then I prefer to stay out of it.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:05 AM
FredYoung

As a long-time Seller on both EBay & right here on Net54, I can't imagine reneging on a deal once the $ had changed hands, EXCEPT if BOTH parties were in agreement to cancel.

GoBucs should think a bit an do the right thing---COMPLETE the deal w/ Cosmo!

Your reputation is at stake, if that means ANYTHING to you.

(Written BEFORE Post 67 was showing ( so apparently he doesn't)

Last edited by GoldenAge50s; 09-28-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
As a long-time Seller on both EBay & right here on Net54, I can't imagine reneging on a deal once the $ had changed hands, EXCEPT if BOTH parties were in agreement to cancel.

GoBucs should think a bit an do the right thing---COMPLETE the deal w/ Cosmo!

Your reputation is at stake, if that means ANYTHING to you.
See his post above. It doesn't. Not being without a Mantle rookie means more.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
t I will absolutely sell him the card (which I do indeed still possess) at the price we agreed upon once I am able to locate and secure a replacement card.
Good grief. Bryce Harper would call this a "clown deal".

Personally, I don't see how holding on to it for a finite amount time outweighs the amount of crap you're taking here, but it's your life.

Also, as crappy as this situation is, it sounds like the OP is (or at least should be) more pissed at himself for hastily selling his card. I understanding wanting to get your cash out of it to help cushion the blow, but it could have waited two days til the new one showed up.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Good grief. Bryce Harper would call this a "clown deal".

Personally, I don't see how holding on to it for a finite amount time outweighs the amount of crap you're taking here, but it's your life.

Also, as crappy as this situation is, it sounds like the OP is (or at least should be) more pissed at himself for hastily selling his card. I understanding wanting to get your cash out of it to help cushion the blow, but it could have waited two days til the new one showed up.
The OP had every right to expect Dan would deliver the card as promised.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Archive

Actually at one point, the seller had both the card and the payment.

Just because he still had possession of the card does not make it his.

Eric honored his portion of the agreement by paying the seller.

The seller's next move should have been to put that card in the mail.

Its that simple!

Lesson learned by both the OP and me as well. Too bad it had to happen like this.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:13 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy or support on this one and furthermore understand Eric's frustration and those who feel my decision is/was dishonorable, but at the end of the day the card is mine to do with what I choose. If some of you don't agree and opt not to do business with me in the future then so be it. There are many, many other avenues available for selling cards at our collective disposal so losing this particular avenue to a percentage of the board is not going to influence my decision one way or another. Neither will anyone's opinion of me as a person, seller, or otherwise.
Excellent. Count me among those who have no interest in ever doing business with you. Thanks in advance for your agreement never to bid on anything I might list in the BST. Life is too short to deal with people like you if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 09-28-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:32 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
The OP had every right to expect Dan would deliver the card as promised.
100% agree
Old 09-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it's one of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trainwreck.jpg (76.8 KB, 784 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Matt

BUST A DEAL, FACE THE WHEEL.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Just to play devil's advocate here ......how come it is perfectly acceptable on Ebay for a buyer to purchase a card, send the money via paypal, and then have a change of heart and want to cancel the transaction?? A seller is never afforded the luxury of cancelling a transaction. That has happened to me there more times than I care to imagine. Is the BST held to a different standard than Ebay?? Again, just pondering here.....

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 09-28-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Just to play devil's advocate here ......how come it is perfectly acceptable on Ebay for a buyer to purchase a card, send the money via paypal, and then have a change of heart and want to cancel the transaction?? That has happened to me there more times than I care to imagine. Is the BST held to a different standard than Ebay?? Again, just pondering here.....
It's not. Whoever said that it was?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
It's not. Whoever said that it was?
Just because ebay may allow something doesn't make it ethical.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Touche.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Eric, sorry to hear of this. Thank you for sharing so I know to avoid the seller.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Everyone is making too much out of this. I got screwed and it is what it is.

Long story short, if I wasn't getting this Mantle, I wouldn't have sold mine. I'm certainly not going to ask the buyer to sell it back to me, that's bad business and not how I operate.

I will continue to look for another Mantle now to fill a void in my collection. This is part of my PSA set.

My only reason behind posting this thread was to bring caution to any others that may be presented with an opportunity to do business with this same seller - you should at least be aware of this before deciding to engage in a transaction.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Trey

Quote:

I said "I disagree", not the law disagrees. I'm glad to know the UCC (and therefore most states) agrees with the OP, but as many have already said, the legality is hardly the issue here. And based on your last statement (But all that, to me, is beside the point) I think you and I agree morally.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I said "I disagree", not the law disagrees. I'm glad to know the UCC (and therefore most states) agrees with the OP, but as many have already said, the legality is hardly the issue here. And based on your last statement (But all that, to me, is beside the point) I think you and I agree morally.
Yes we are definitely on the same page as an ethical/moral issue, Dan should have completed the deal for sure.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM
Dan Bretta

I don't even understand the seller's reluctance to honor the deal...he's not too attached to the card since he's shopping around for a replacement. I guess the damage this has done to his reputation is worth holding onto a card that he's shopping around. Weird.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:09 PM
J Ryan
Banned

....and this is why i don't buy high end cards.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I don't even understand the seller's reluctance to honor the deal...he's not too attached to the card since he's shopping around for a replacement. I guess the damage this has done to his reputation is worth holding onto a card that he's shopping around. Weird.
I understand not wanting to sell a card until I have replaced it, I just did that in fact, that makes sense to me, but that does not justify reneging on a completed deal.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Best comment in the whole thread!

Jeff
Old 09-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Should have posted this originally... here is the card that caused the whole mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MM3F.jpg (68.1 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg MM3B.jpg (67.6 KB, 692 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I understand not wanting to sell a card until I have replaced it, I just did that in fact, that makes sense to me, but that does not justify reneging on a completed deal.
No it does not. I could understand maybe if it was a rare card, but it's not. This guy just wrecked his trading rep on Net54 on a card that he's looking to replace.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
No it does not. I could understand maybe if it was a rare card, but it's not. This guy just wrecked his trading rep on Net54 on a card that he's looking to replace.
Yes, but the thinking is that you would rather have the one you are looking to replace than none at all. I just did that with an Aaron rookie -- I bought a new one before selling my old one. It is irrational to some extent (what collector isn't) but I didn't want to not have an Aaron rookie.

But all I am saying is I understand the mindset, not condoning the behavior. Dan was dead wrong here.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:03 PM

Looks like he has sold a few '51 Bowman Mantles on the B/S/T in the past. Why keep this one, Dan?

Last edited by asoriano; 09-28-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:07 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
I don't think about ethics here. I think practically all retail stores allow returns these days. The next time I return something to Costco or Home Depot, I don't really think I'm doing anything ethically wrong (unless of course, I opened the item in question).

I think selling transactions generally favor the buyer in cases like these and allow returns because the buyer might not know exactly what he or she is getting. You see the item online, but not until you actually get it in hand, do you see what it is. You see the item in the store, but it's not until you are home and see how that item you bought works or fits as you expected (e.g., a mattress or a part). I agree that allowing returns is generally much, much tougher on small sellers than the big box stores, especially in terms of cash flow.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don't think about ethics here. I think practically all retail stores allow returns these days. The next time I return something to Costco or Home Depot, I don't really think I'm doing anything ethically wrong (unless of course, I opened the item in question).

I think selling transactions generally favor the buyer in cases like these and allow returns because the buyer might not know exactly what he or she is getting. You see the item online, but not until you actually get it in hand, do you see what it is. You see the item in the store, but it's not until you are home and see how that item you bought works or fits as you expected (e.g., a mattress or a part). I agree that allowing returns is generally much, much tougher on small sellers than the big box stores, especially in terms of cash flow.
And what does any of this have to do with baseball cards where a buyer is free to ask questions if for any reason the scan isn't adequate? And I think the original example wasn't even a return just a cancellation before receipt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-28-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Dan Carson

Default Mom!!!

Tell his MOM!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
Looks like he has sold a few '51 Bowman Mantles on the B/S/T in the past. Why keep this one, Dan?
He sold it to someone else for more money. The most plausible answer.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
He sold it to someone else for more money. The most plausible answer.
He said he did not. And Eric was paying a strong price for that card, IMO.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-28-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:07 PM
MikeHealer

Quote:
He said he did not.
Well that settles it, no way he would lie.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehealer View Post
Well that settles it, no way he would lie.
I don't think he would, actually. He has been pretty candid about his misbehavior.