NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Larry LaFoe

Default 100 Card Type Set... I need you advice and expertise; please.

Mike Healer provided a link to the Old Cardboard website. I reviewed the list of types and decided to make my type set. I wanted cards that reminded me of what I think a baseball card is: They must be from the US, 3"x4" or smaller, rectangular, made of cardboard, depict real baseball players and pre-WW II. No blank backs, die-cuts, rounds, pins, etc.

After reviewing all 571 cards on the Old Cardboard website, my criteria revealed 98 cards. I added two that didn't meet my criteria to make an even 100: T201 and T202.

Here's where I need your advice... I plan to complete this set in VG/EX. Am I missing any obvious sets and do I have any "duplicate" sets on my list of 100?

I collect gold and collect PCGS/CAC exclusively. However, I've noticed a swing toward SGC for vintage cards. Please select either PSA or SGC in the poll so I can see which service the "experts" lean toward.

I don't want this to turn into a PSA vs. SGC thread (let the poll speak for itself). I hope you will respond with your advice on my selection of the 100 cards in my type set.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 100 Baseball Cards.txt (3.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Larry LaFoe

Default Poll

The great internet in Afghanistan isn't cooperating with me... I can't seem to add a poll today.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:46 AM
Tony Ooten

I'm leaning toward the same Idea, limiting my type set to 100 cards, but having a hard time arriving at my list of 100

One thing I noticed about your list is ; you have cards with very similar (or identical) fronts and different backs - 1914 and 15 CJ's for example, but you haven't included the myriad of possible backs associated with M101-4 and 5 and other similar Mendelsohn's

Unfortunately I won't be much help in unraveling the intricacies, as I still find it a tad corn-fusing, but I just want to point them out to you for your viewing pleasure. (If you haven't noticed them already).
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Val Kehl

Tony, I assume the reason "llafoe" didn't include some the 1916 M101-4/5 types (such as Indianapolis Brewing, Green-Joyce, Everybody's, Holmes to Homes, etc.) is that they are not included in the OC type-card listing. This really surprises me, as it was only a few years ago that there was a fabulous feature article re these cards (written by two Net 54ers) in the OC Magazine.
Val
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Tony, I assume the reason "llafoe" didn't include some the 1916 M101-4/5 types (such as Indianapolis Brewing, Green-Joyce, Everybody's, Holmes to Homes, etc.) is that they are not included in the OC type-card listing. This really surprises me, as it was only a few years ago that there was a fabulous feature article re these cards (written by two Net 54ers) in the OC Magazine.
Val
Hi Val,

True they aren't listed in the OC type card listing, but there is a great table of various backs and scarcities included under M101-4 (or 5). They also reference the article you mention.

I pointed it out to the OP, since I also used the OC list when I started my type card collection last fall.... Then I ran across my first Famous and Barr and had a bit of a hard time finding info about it until I came across the table of backs and scarcities on OC.

I actually really like the Mendelsohn cards and the various backs. edit to add: But I do find it strange that Weil Baking (for example) has it's own ACC number... I probably should find the article and read it!

Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 07-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Matt Hall

llafoe, if I could add one suggestion... When you get back into some of the N-card issues I'd say focus on eye appeal over grade. There are better 1's then 8's out there as grading accounts 0 points for eye appeal. This will help you with issues such as n690... A technical 4 grade is pretty pricy and also possible to have 0 eye appeal for the grade.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

All of your list is obtainable except 1. That one will be very difficult.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Val Kehl

Tony, thanks for pointing out that OC has additional info re the M101-4/5 types on their website. I was aware of this, but what I was trying to say (and I did a poor job at it) is that this OC listing is NOT, IMHO, a very good one for a type-card collector to use.

I wish OC had listed ALL the different ad backs (for T207, T216, D303, D304, etc.) on this listing, which would have made it extremely useful to me, as I am a type-card collector (as well as a collector of certain players). But, I guess OC's intent is for this listing to be a "set" listing, with more info re the ad backs available when one drills down ( or clicks) on the set name.
Best,
Val
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: 100 Card Type Set... I need you advice and expertise; please.

Nice list; but you've left out the entire genre of strip cards just because they happen to be blank backed. You're missing out on some interesting and affordable types in my view.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think the 1928 Fro Joy might be bigger than 3x4, and they are only authenticated (correctly) by BVG. The copy that I have from BVG is in a postcard size holder.

Also, not sure if you want to include 1926 Spalding Champions, 1929 Star Player Candy, or 1935 Schutter Johnson (although cartoon drawings).

Last edited by glchen; 07-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Nice list; but you've left out the entire genre of strip cards just because they happen to be blank backed. You're missing out on some interesting and affordable types in my view.
I agree. Some of the strip cards are a little out there, but some are quite interesting. W517 for has become one of my favorites (the full body poses anyway!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Tony, thanks for pointing out that OC has additional info re the M101-4/5 types on their website. I was aware of this, but what I was trying to say (and I did a poor job at it) is that this OC listing is NOT, IMHO, a very good one for a type-card collector to use.

I wish OC had listed ALL the different ad backs (for T207, T216, D303, D304, etc.) on this listing, which would have made it extremely useful to me, as I am a type-card collector (as well as a collector of certain players). But, I guess OC's intent is for this listing to be a "set" listing, with more info re the ad backs available when one drills down ( or clicks) on the set name.
Best,
Val
Val,
I see what you are saying. OC checklist is great for me ( a fledgling type collector)... I do have a spreadsheet that I downloaded after being led to it by a net54 thread. It seems to include different back types - I just checked t206 and M101-4. It has 2821 lines - a little overwhelming for me. The top cell says:"OBC TYPE CARD CHECKLIST DRAFT COPY #1 (UNVERIFIED) COMPILED BY DAVID HORNISH" Do you have this?

Tony
Old 07-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I agree. Some of the strip cards are a little out there, but some are quite interesting. W517 for has become one of my favorites (the full body poses anyway!).

Val,
I see what you are saying. OC checklist is great for me ( a fledgling type collector)... I do have a spreadsheet that I downloaded after being led to it by a net54 thread. It seems to include different back types - I just checked t206 and M101-4. It has 2821 lines - a little overwhelming for me. The top cell says:"OBC TYPE CARD CHECKLIST DRAFT COPY #1 (UNVERIFIED) COMPILED BY DAVID HORNISH" Do you have this?

Tony
If you PM me with your e-mail I will send a copy of this your way. It's old, needs some work but is 99% accurate as of 20 years ago.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
If you PM me with your e-mail I will send a copy of this your way. It's old, needs some work but is 99% accurate as of 20 years ago.
Thanks Dave, but I already have it. I was just checking with Val to see if he had it - sounds like what he was asking for.

A lot of work in that spreadsheet and I appreciate your willingness to share!

Tony
Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Val Kehl

Tony, thanks for suggesting Dave's type card checklist. In the absence of having such a list, what I often do is refer to Leon's fabulous type card collection, which is available online (go the "Vintage Links" at top of the screen) for all to enjoy - I just wish that Leon also collected 19th Century cards and post-WWII cards!

Dave, thanks in advance for sending me your type card checklist, which is something I've put off creating for a long time. I've just sent you a PM with my email address, but here it is as well, just in case.

Best,
Val
ekehl333@aol.com
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Steve Freedman

Feel free to take a look at my list - http://www.stevestypeset.com - there is even an export feature so you can download it to excel. My list started from the OC spreadsheet, but it's been updated and non-cards like postcards and matchbooks have already been removed.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Frank Wakefield

A sad day for the Stars of the Diamond... Colgan's Chips are definitely cards. Why the prejudice against round cards? A 100 card type set would do well to include them, I'd think.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

I definitely think you should consider strip cards as they are an important part of the twenties. Also, you can get some nice HOFers for great prices.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Ron Rice

Default Type collection

Nice idea for a thread. I've been collecting type cards with a similar approach to yours, although I also include larger cards and ones with blank backs.

Here's a few I didn't see on your list:

1906 Fan Craze
1913 Tom Barker
1913 National Game
1916 Tango Eggs

Those are easy to find, and seem to meet your criteria.