NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: nbrazil

I've been getting into cabinet cards since i restarted my adventure back into T3's. Curious as to what the net54 consensus feels about them...

-Most aesthetically pleasing cabinet set?
-Scarcest cabinet set?
-Easiest to obtain cabinet set?

thanks in advance

Old 02-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Phil Garry

In my opinion, a very large number of cabinet cards are either unique or so rare that you are unlikely to see another one that is identical in your lifetime, especially the 19th century ones.

Personally, for a set, I like the 1888 N173 Old Judges.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I think the N173 are the most aesthetically pleasing, but like most baseball cabinets are expensive and not easy to find.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: davidcycleback

I assume the 1890s baseball Newsboys cabinets (technically a subset of a very large sport and non-sport set) would be the easiest to finish. The set is small and the singles are obtainable on the market. They're nice looking too. That's a cabinet set a collector could finish. Too add some color to it, one of the player's, Monte Ward's, wife has a Newsboy cabinet as she was a Broadway actress.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

T3's are probably both the most aesthetically pleasing and easiest to obtain cabinet set.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Steve M.

Difficult, especially with original mount. Here is Musser, Canton Team.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Richard Masson

Another smaller and completable cabinet set are the Duke Cabinets.
They are cool because they are in color and in addition to the four baseball players there are several cyclists. All cards in the set trade every now and then and are not abusively expensive.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

Duke Cabinets are great, anyone know what the last Delahanty sold for?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: davidcycleback

If one is literal, the Duke and T3s aren't cabinet cards. Literally, a cabinet card is the size of Newsboys, T5 Pinkertons and N173s with photos not lithos. Of course, many collectors consider the T3s and Dukes as cabinet-style or cabinet-like, which is a fair enough assessment, and group them with cabinets.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Joe_G.

19th century photo cabinets are gorgeous; magnificent in detail. The major down side is price and scarcity. I am personally drawn to the cabinets produced and distributed by Tomlinson Studio of Detroit circa 1886-88.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/misc/issue13/issue13.asp

They are tough to come by but seem to trade hands for less than N173s due to their obscurity. The personalized mounts used in 1886 are not commonly found on cabinet cards. I also like the N173s but as already mentioned, they can run a small fortune.

I know I recently shared this in another thread but will post again since this thread is fitting.

Charlie Bennett Portrait & Batting Pose

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Phil Garry

In the mid-late 1880's, MacIntire Studios in Phila, PA did a nice job with their group of cabinet cards. Here is an example of the Delahanty.....

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Randall cabinets are another choice. Tough to come by.

Duke cabs, at only 4 in the set, can be completed. I personally think it would be easier to complete a T3 set than a Newsboy baseball set simply because I've seen complete T3 sets offered at auction but never a Newsboy set (14 subjects).

Rembrandt, Conly and Stevens cabs are tough to find but undervalued, IMO.

Chickering Beaneater cabinets appear to be one-of-a-kind so good luck completing that set! The cabs are imperial sized - 8 x 10.

N173s are probably the most popular and "common" 19th century cabinets but pricey.

Dogs Head are a subgroup of N173. Then there are the N173s with black mounts, which I have never been able to obtain. Most collectors are happy with a type collection of 19th century cabinets. Joe G. has chosen what may be the smartest approach by collecting Detroit players only. There are some collectors with large numbers of N173s. I wish I were one of them! All of the 19th century cabs are cool to me because of the large size, great photos, and the history they represent.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: DMcD

I nominate this thread, and especially Bruce's comprehensive post, for the N54 Archives. I suppose much of the same information can be found at the OC website but not all in one click of the mouse. Truly awesome cards, you guys.

Cycleback said: "If one is literal, the Duke and T3s aren't cabinet cards. Literally, a cabinet card is the size of Newsboys, T5 Pinkertons and N173s with photos not lithos. Of course, many collectors consider the T3s and Dukes as cabinet-style or cabinet-like, which is a fair enough assessment, and group them with cabinets."

That's a fair point about cabinet cards having photos and not lithos. That excludes T3s. I suppose W600s even with their photos would also be excluded by virtue of their size. That being said I have no cabinet cards, strictly speaking, to offer this discussion. My meager contribution then are these snapshots I took of the vintage baseball card display at the BBHOF last fall.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Anonymous

"...these snapshots I took of the vintage baseball card display at the BBHOF last fall.

Hey, the BBHOF doesn't get their cards graded?! Ya think they'd know better!

Old 02-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Richard

Keeping in line with photo on mount cabinet cards, Jones Keyser Arras cabinets are very tough and very beautiful. The silver gelatin photos glow, the poses are, as far as I can tell, mostly unique, and the player selection is fantastic!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default cabinet sets

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

I do love cabinet cards.

And Bruce, every time you post that Chickering of Duffy I can't help but just sit and stare at it.

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

-Al