NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Default crossover PSA to SGC

Posted By: joe maples

I have a few cards that are graded by PSA and want them in SGC holders. How does everyone do this crack them open or send them in the PSA slabs.

Joe

Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

i crack them, then send.
that way you avoid any sort of sgc--psa rivalry which could backfire into grade lowering.
i wish i could say it just doesn't happen due to top drawer ethical integrity---but i think
Thomas Hobbes is right about us humans.

barry

Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I disagree. I send my cards to SGC in their PSA slabs, usually with a minimum grade requiremet of the same grade. On my last 2 SGC submissions, everything but two cards came back with the same SGC grade. One actually went from a PSA 2 to an SGC 3 and a PSA 4 came back in its holder as not meeting the requirements for an SGC 4. This is a much safer and cheaper way to accomplish the task IMO.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

I've never had a problem just sending the PSAs in their holders. All cards came back as expected, with 2 grading even higher. I'm not risking damaging my cards!

Jimi

Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Besides, it's more convenient, if it's already slabbed, to send it slasbbed. Good grief..listen to me..never got a card graded in my life!

It was life, not the living, that Hobbes called "nasty, brutish and short." After all, some of us are nasty, brutish and tall!

Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I cross all my cards to sgc and have done it both ways. I generally will send a card in the slab if I think it will cross at the same grade or a lower grade. Cards that I believe have the potential to jump, I usually crack out. That being said, I have sent cards in both psa and gai slabs that have been bumped up a half to a full grade by sgc (though I wouldnt expect it) and Ive had a few that have dropped (if I didnt put a minimum grade on it). The vast majority have crossed to an equivilent grade. I think you are most likely to get a down grade on half grades that sgc doesnt have a corresponding grade for (ie gai 3.5 - can only go to an sgc 3 or 4) or cards with wrinkles (Ive had psa 4s with small wrinkles that sgc will not cross at the same grade).

Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

Thanks for info, will probably send in the PSA slabs.

Joe

Old 11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Joe,

The cards submitted for crossover must be valued under $500. If they are more I suggest you contact Sean to get his ok.

Greg

Old 11-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimi

about a card over $500 and then gladly did it. Their concern is whether the card is a high grade card, so a T205 Cobb in midgrade didn't seem to bother them.

Jimi

Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

When I decided to get out of the PSA universe, I sent all of my PSA graded T206 cards to SGC for crossover treatment. They were all sent in their slabs. They graded 30 of them with the same grade or higher -- in two or three instances the grade went up a half grade (i.e., PSA 5 = SGC 70; PSA 1 = SGC 1.5), but I have had a PSA graded 4 move up a full grade to an SGC 60 before as well. 10 of them were returned as lower grades -- either because PSA ignored a crease or a chip in the card's surface. One of the PSA cards was returned with evidence of trimming.

Based ony my experience, I think SGC's tolerance for light corner wear is a little higher than PSA's, but that PSA's tolerance for wrinkles, creasing and other surface imperfections is higher than SGC's.