NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-25-2019, 01:49 PM
John Tess

Default Joe DiMaggio autograph. Authentic?????

Asking for a friend. I personally think it's good. A little slow, but all the characteristic seem to be there. Thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190925-155143.jpg (8.1 KB, 755 views)

Last edited by johnts1; 09-25-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts1 View Post
Asking for a friend. I personally think it's good. A little slow, but all the characteristic seem to be there. Thank you!!
Would need a closer photo.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 09-25-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:11 PM
John Tess

Default Joe DiMaggio Autograph! Authentic?

Hopefully this is better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5378.jpg (13.7 KB, 748 views)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I sort of remember that the j was the giveaway
Old 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

I think it’s real
Old 10-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

well we have tie. Where is Chris or Steve?
Old 10-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I don't like the G's. I have to pass if it was me.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Send it to JSA. I'll give you $100 if it fails.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

It's a bit sloppy but real
Old 10-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
well we have tie. Where is Chris or Steve?
Photo is too small to offer opinion. I don't form an opinion based on "shape" alone; I need to see the speed and flow, which is impossible from the photo presented.

The D, M and A appear to be slow and hesitant to me, but again, the photo is way too small to be definitive.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Brendan Mullen

I dig your confidence!
Old 10-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Chris, waiting for you.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:49 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed25 View Post
Have him send it in. I will bet you a hundred it does not pass
Old 10-15-2019, 09:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Do we really have that much faith in PSA to get it right?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Sean Sullivan

Oh this is getting interesting...
Old 10-19-2019, 12:14 PM
John Tess

Haven't been on in a while. Hopefully, this is bigger. It doesn't really matter. The person had it authenticated through JSA and it came back authentic. So, for those of you who thought it was authentic, good job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191019-141612.jpg (9.2 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by johnts1; 10-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

When in doubt, send it to JSA. They'll pass it. LOL
Old 10-19-2019, 01:14 PM
John Tess

PSA and JSA are pretty tight with the autographs especially their sports autographs. The fact that you didn't like it is your opinion. No need for the tongue in cheek towards the authenticators

Last edited by johnts1; 10-19-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Do you work for JSA? JSA has made plenty of mistakes, so your opinion of them being "tight" with autographs is just that...your opinion. Stay on here long enough and you just might change your mind. By the way, that's not tongue in cheek.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:19 PM
John Tess

Oh, you really meant it? I apologise. I thought you were just kidding. You need to calm down. All I see here is a bruised ego. They do make mistakes but very rarely with the sports. Maybe a Cy Young a Babe Ruth or a Lou Gehrig. That's all I was trying to convey. Good day, sir

PS. Please free to post a DiMaggio, Williams or Mantle where PSA or JSA actually made a mistake, I'd love to see that, and I'll take into consideration what you said.

Last edited by johnts1; 10-19-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Why in the world would my ego be bruised. My opinion on the Dimaggio still stands...I don't like the G's and I would pass if it was me. That means I wouldn't put it in my collection unless I saw Dimaggio sign it himself.
Let see, let show you an example...hmmm, oh, does a secretarial Dizzy Dean ring a bell? How about your opinion of the TPA's during that thread only a month and a half ago.
"Bravo Chris. I was always under the impression that PSA was pretty tight when it came to the sports autographs. I'll tell you something else, I'm delighted that there are a few groups out there, like this one who really cares and has a passion for authenticity. I'd trust you and the rest of you guys before I trust any TPA. Thank you.". Can't have it both ways dude.
Anyway, I truly hope (no tongue in cheek intended) your future collecting goes well. I think you'll find that the major TPA's don't spend enough time looking and some of these autographs. If you think it's good, and they agree, then cool. If you have your doubts, and they say good, then you'll probably still be looking at it as suspect...unless your intent is to make it easier to sell to someone else.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:21 PM
John Tess

Wow. You really go out of your way to make a point. What did I do wrong? I was making an opinion. Why do you keep going on and on? I'm flattered that you'd go out of your way like this. Secondly, your name isn't Chris. And your not part of the rest of the guys I was talking about. Lol. Thirdly, Dizzy Dean? You're comparing apples to bowling balls. We're talking about DiMaggio here.

Last edited by johnts1; 10-19-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Actually, we're talking about TPA's. Like I said, good luck to you.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:41 PM
St@n Go.len

Watch "TSN & W5 - Faking It (TSN Feature)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/uw1kKGHxVhA

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 AM
Christopher Williams

I read this from the beginning and emailed my friend Steve Z. on Sept. 27th that my initial instinct was that it was authentic.

I also wrote Steve, that the photo posted was not a good image to opine from because "speed" is crucial to opining Joe DiMaggio's autograph.

I would still like to have it in my hands or have a better photo to opine 100%.

I would have commented earlier but I had my reasons why I didn't and Steve Z. knows why and we will keep that between us two.

Below is a side-by-side of one of my DiMaggio autographed baseballs and the one posted here.

Mine is on the right.

As you can observe, my DiMaggio shows more speed, but the other photo, which I attempted to enhance, does not show the same speed, but that could be because of the photo.

Net54DiMaggio2AndMyDiMaggio.JPG
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Christopher Williams

I will also write, just to be clear, that I am not 100% that this DiMaggio is authentic.

The only way to be 100% would be to have it in my hands.

If Spence had it in their hands, they would have the advantage of a hands-on examination.

In my opinion, "no one is wrong here."

That photo posted by the OP is not strong enough to make a 100% yes or no decision, but my first instinct was authentic.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 10-20-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Steve Zarelli

We get that it's en vogue to rip the TPAs here, but if we want to deal in FACTS and reality, they are going to get signers such as Mantle, Williams, and DiMaggio right an overwhelming majority of the time. Period.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Steve Zarelli

By the way, to the people who promote those "got ya" videos where they slide one fake by a TPA at a card show -- the forgers and scammers send their thanks. This is the kind of ammunition eBay scammers use to "prove" how bad the TPAs are whenever a credible authenticator rejects their garbage.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-20-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
By the way, to the people who promote those "got ya" videos where they slide one fake by a TPA at a card show -- the forgers and scammers send their thanks. This is the kind of ammunition eBay scammers use to "prove" how bad the TPAs are whenever a credible authenticator rejects their garbage.

Keep up the good work!
+1
Old 10-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
We get that it's en vogue to rip the TPAs here, but if we want to deal in FACTS and reality, they are going to get signers such as Mantle, Williams, and DiMaggio right an overwhelming majority of the time. Period.
Very true.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Ok, in all fairness they didn't slide one fake by them, it was 17...but that's neither here not there. Since I respect both Steve and Chris, I put this question to you, and that is you both have to admit there is definitely a couple of holes in the system. First, the whole take your autograph to a cardshow and have them authenticate it on the spot or get an in-person autograph at a show and take it over to a separate table to have a TPA put a sticker on it is flawed. Also, the number of submissions that some of these TPA's are accepting in a year makes it hard to give each autograph the proper time needed to authenticate them. I just think they cut corners and make assumptions based on workload.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Ok, in all fairness they didn't slide one fake by them, it was 17...but that's neither here not there. Since I respect both Steve and Chris, I put this question to you, and that is you both have to admit there is definitely a couple of holes in the system. First, the whole take your autograph to a cardshow and have them authenticate it on the spot or get an in-person autograph at a show and take it over to a separate table to have a TPA put a sticker on it is flawed. Also, the number of submissions that some of these TPA's are accepting in a year makes it hard to give each autograph the proper time needed to authenticate them. I just think they cut corners and make assumptions based on workload.
Valid points, Mike, and no doubt, that part of the system is imperfect and must be changed.

They make it too easy for that to happen.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:26 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Valid points, Mike, and no doubt, that part of the system is imperfect and must be changed.

They make it too easy for that to happen.
The bottom line is, nobody's absolutely right or wrong in this discussion. TPA's can be great, and they can be crappy. But the wrong thing is to assume they are one way or the other all the time, which is really why I chimed in originally. I really don't think it's en vogue to bash the TPA's here. Heck, I have several things in my collection that have TPA certs, but I certainly wouldn't have purchased them unless I had done my homework on the autograph first.
So, bottom line is, do your homework as much as possible, don't assume a TPA is right or wrong, and enjoy the hobby.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Christopher Williams

If the future, and I hope Leon agrees to this, that any photo posted that is grainy, too small, etc., should be removed until the OP can post a proper image.

Either post a clear image or don't post at all.

Collectors here share their knowledge for FREE, and the least that OP's can do is post a proper image that can be opined.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 10-20-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:55 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
If the future, and I hope Leon agrees to this, that any photo posted that is grainy, too small, etc., should be removed until the OP can post a proper image.

Either post a clear image or don't post at all.

Collectors here share their knowledge for FREE, and the least that OP's can do is post a proper image that can be opined.

That's always been a pet peeve of mine.
+1
Old 10-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
The system is not perfect and I am not excusing mistakes. And there is nothing wrong with fair criticism.

Chris has his pet peeves and one of mine are people posting links to these videos or one-sided bashing sites like it is supposed to be some great revelation or "the final word" on the matter.

I recently rejected a terrible Apollo 11 fake that was sold by one of these "tourist gallery" places that uses one of the usual crooked forensic authenticators.

When my client requested a refund based upon me rejecting the item, guess what the crooked seller did?

Yep... they sent my client a bunch of links to videos and articles just like this one to discredit authenticators. Discredit, smear and spread fake news. This is how forgery scammers operate. While the intent of some of these pieces may be honest, in reality they don't shed much light but are rather used as a tool by dishonest parties.

By the way, my client ended up getting a refund of the many thousands of dollars he spent on a worthless fake in a fancy frame.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Christopher Williams

Another point I'd like to make is that it's easy to bash the TPA's; they won't come after you; they won't pursue you.

But if you bash the "bad guys of the hobby," they will do everything they can to discredit you and attempt to destroy your life (both Steve and myself experienced those attempts).

Truth is, like Ebay, the hobby has become more of a cesspool of forgeries and junk, and big part of that, is the aforementioned Ebay.

Although I do try to compartmentalize, it is impossible to ignore.

And what I mean by "compartmentalize," is that the hobby consists of two populations.....

Maybe twenty-percent of the hobby are true hobbyists and the other eighty-percent are the delusional autograph collectors, impulse buyers and the scammers (the ones who take advantage of the "system" and the aforementioned "delusional and impulse buyers").

You can bash the TPA's all you want, but as an example hows does a "company" like Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators (Stephen Rocchi) stay in business "Forensically Authenticating" thousands of copies of forgeries!!!!

And what about Lee Trythall and Scott Malack (Coach's Corner Auctions)!!!!

The point I am making is that collectors continue to bash the TPA's every chance they get, but they're "bored" with those that continue to expose the likes of Stephen Rocchi, Coach's Corner, Ted Taylor, Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales and others.

I was on another site exposing the various forged/counterfeit cards, and I was told "It's old news, etc."

It's never "old news" as long as it continues.

The TPA's aren't perfect, but they make the headlines, but a headline about "GFA/Stephen Rocchi" just wouldn't be juicy enough.

I know I went off the rails a bit here, but I needed to vent.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Steve Zarelli

Preach it, brother!!
Old 10-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Another point I'd like to make is that it's easy to bash the TPA's; they won't come after you; they won't pursue you.

But if you bash the "bad guys of the hobby," they will do everything they can to discredit you and attempt to destroy your life (both Steve and myself experienced those attempts).

Truth is, like Ebay, the hobby has become more of a cesspool of forgeries and junk, and big part of that, is the aforementioned Ebay.

Although I do try to compartmentalize, it is impossible to ignore.

And what I mean by "compartmentalize," is that the hobby consists of two populations.....

Maybe twenty-percent of the hobby are true hobbyists and the other eighty-percent are the delusional autograph collectors, impulse buyers and the scammers (the ones who take advantage of the "system" and the aforementioned "delusional and impulse buyers").

You can bash the TPA's all you want, but as an example hows does a "company" like Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators (Stephen Rocchi) stay in business "Forensically Authenticating" thousands of copies of forgeries!!!!

And what about Lee Trythall and Scott Malack (Coach's Corner Auctions)!!!!

The point I am making is that collectors continue to bash the TPA's every chance they get, but they're "bored" with those that continue to expose the likes of Stephen Rocchi, Coach's Corner, Ted Taylor, Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales and others.

I was on another site exposing the various forged/counterfeit cards, and I was told "It's old news, etc."

It's never "old news" as long as it continues.

The TPA's aren't perfect, but they make the headlines, but a headline about "GFA/Stephen Rocchi" just wouldn't be juicy enough.

I know I went off the rails a bit here, but I needed to vent.
Chris, I'm not so sure that people are bored with those TPA's you mentioned (we all know the ones) but I think that people have thrown up their hands because the "authorities" are doing nothing. I also think that some of us try to keep the "good" ones on their toes so that they don't become the bad ones. All it takes is a few bad employees to start letting stuff slip through for money and the whole thing starts to unravel (check some of the threads on the card side of this site). Honestly, there's no good answer. Until Ebay starts being accountable, the FBI starts getting more involved, the TPA's maybe slow down their submissions, and CC gets closed down, the whole thing will be a toilet.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think that we have on this site some of the best authentication people in the business.
The Joe D that we are questioning on this thread is a perfect example how you can more that one opinion. I just think that we are as good if not better than the TPA'S out there.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 AM
Casey

I like TPA + Net54. If there is any question of authenticity, I go with Net54. I wouldn't buy something important like Ruth or Mattewson or Clemente or Mantle without Net54. Peace of mind and trust.
In this case, when Net 54 varies this much, choose who you trust for peace of mind. For me, if there is enough question on Net 54, I pass. Who else could you trust more? Only if I physically stood there and watched Joe sign it himself.
Buying to flip an item might be different? But I don't do that...
I really appreciate how much you all have helped me...
Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I will also write, just to be clear, that I am not 100% that this DiMaggio is authentic.

The only way to be 100% would be to have it in my hands.

If Spence had it in their hands, they would have the advantage of a hands-on examination.

In my opinion, "no one is wrong here."

That photo posted by the OP is not strong enough to make a 100% yes or no decision, but my first instinct was authentic.
I agree, my first inkling is that it is authentic although the picture did not let me render an opinion, hence why I didn't chime in

When I was buying these (and I have 10), I'd take a chance on it up to 175 for the 300 ball until I had it in my fat hands... then if I didn't like it, I would send it back. If people are selling a 200-300 item and they can't give you a good pic, I would feed them fish heads.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 10-21-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Terry Lake

Default Dimaggio ball

You can have all the Net54 opinions you like, but when it comes time to sell the ball , the only opinions that add value are the big 3.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Sorry to say that is true. I would say that we do save people a lot of money by
telling them if it is not authentic. That will prevent them from sending it in.

Last but not least. I said I did not like the ball because of the J. Maybe if was a better picture I might have said yes. Either way it is nice to know that we can all agree not to agree with a smile