NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Anonymous

Soaking a card.
Ive heard that soaking a card off an album is ok. But removing a crease is wrong. What if I removed a card off an album to remove the glue and paper. No the card that was being removed had a 2mm crease on the edge. During this process the crease was removed not on purpose. Is the card now altered because it once had a crease and now it has been removed. Or has it just been removed from a scrap book and acceptable to the hobby. Removing items from cards has been oked by collectors but where is the line. I feel removing paper from a card bumps the grade. And so does removing a crease with the same process. Which is wrong and Why? they are the same and if one is wrong they both are.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Copying my opinion from the other thread, in cased you missed it:

to Peterose, to answer the question you've asked a couple of times. I'd find it hard to envision a situation where a crease can be removed without any sort of pressure put on it. The process of soaking gunk off a card usually doesn't involve pressure - just soaking, maybe a little rubbing. However, if a crease mysteriously came out of a card I was soaking for the purpose of removing gunk, then I'd have to consider that an exception, and not the rule, and so I'd live with it.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Dave Seaborn

First off, this has been answered several times already.

Second, I agree with Al. I cannot imagine a situation where your hypothetical crease would just disappear after soaking (without willfull application of some kind of pressing).

Third, to answer your other question...there is a difference. The two are most definitely NOT the same. Soaking removes external material that is not part of the card. A crease is part of the card. You may not want it to be there, but it's still 100% card. Scrap paper attached to the back, for example, is not part of the card itself.

Hopefully this has answered this series of questions.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Removing something from a card is altering a card. Puts it in the same boat. Same thing. You are changing its apearance!
They are the same

Old 08-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Okay, then.

If you've got a bunch of paper and glue-laden prewar HOFers in your collection, I'm a buyer.

-Al

Old 08-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Josh K.

What exactly is the point of this thread. It seems that you have your mind made up. This topic has already been hashed and rehashed in another thread and I believe everyone's position is quite clear.

For what its worth, I too do not believe you can remove a crease simply by drying a soaked card underneath a stack of books.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

My point is. If you remove cards that once had paper on them, then you are a card doctor. Its the same as removing a crease. One is not better than the other. They are both alterations.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: peter ullman

I have a lovely e107 wagner...but it has a large, hardened booger across his face. is it wrong to remove this?

pete ullman

Old 08-30-2006, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Seth B.

Pete, I hope that was a joke, but if not, I say, pick away!

Old 08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: John S

Only if it is Honus's booger. But if you remove it Topps might be willing to purchase.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

I had a piece of the booger dna tested/carbon dated and it is a booger from pre-1920...it couldn't be confirmed if it was honus's booger or not though.

peter in mn

Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: leon

Was the booger rebacked? And if so which part was tested?

Old 08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

the booger was congealed, debunct, rebacked, fudgepacked and cracked!

pete in mn

Old 08-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Default is this wrong

Posted By: Josh K.

peterosepsa - why not start another couple of threads to let us know exactly how you really feel. My point is you made your point once already - this thread was completely unnecessary.

now, since the subject was raised - what's your answer to the booger question? do you slab it with the booger or do you scrape it off?