NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2024, 07:05 AM

Default More joy: complete sets or individual items

After many years away from the hobby, I’m diving back in. I’m going to start working on a couple of baseball and football sets that are 70 - 80% complete. My dilemma now is how to minimize the financing of them. Trading off or selling duplicates is definitely the first step. Where I am struggling is, do I sell off / trade some 1 off things, ie, autographed memorabilia, hockey, basketball, rare albums, comics, etc. Assuming equal value, do I sell an autographed baseball for an equal amount in cards?

I realize that collecting can get totally out of hand if not keeping your emotions in check, but what brings more joy in the end? Completing sets or a variety of cool things?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:04 AM
pete ullman

i'd recommend you buy cards you like. I used to be a "type" collector...and after years of this I decided I wasn't happy paying thousands of dollars just for a common front with a rare back. My Dots Miller run kept my type collecting urge alive but I focused the rest of my collection mainly on cards I liked.

You'll never go wrong buying cards you like!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Millerdoc_3 3.jpg (238.2 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg 4cobbs011.jpg (168.4 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg 968-1921-exhibit-supply-babe-ruth.jpg (51.3 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg wagnere95fr158.jpg (152.4 KB, 327 views)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:29 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I've built pre-war sets, still working on a couple, but am a type collector at heart. Agree with Pete, I only buy cards I like so shy away from buying commons for the sake of it.

Your interests seem quite varied, for me I had to focus on what I really wanted, what I was willing to sacrifice, and get rid of everything that wasn't on my focused list. I buy pre-war rare cards and hofers which can run expensive so I have to choose wisely and sell everything else to budget for that.

Good luck on your project!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-11-2024, 09:48 PM
Doug Goodman

Everybody has their own style
Old 02-11-2024, 10:42 PM

I have gone through phases of collecting specific sets, individual players, team sets and just random stuff. I don't think I have any real regrets with the choices, other than passing on a few cards here and there.

Changing up your collecting habits keeps it more interesting. I know people who have gone months/years without buying any cards because they have a specific wantlist of tougher to find cards. That's probably the only thing I wouldn't recommend. You can still get the thrill of the hunt while maybe focusing on something else that doesn't cut deeply into your budget for those rare cards.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 02-12-2024, 05:09 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I prefer individual cards over sets and set building. Never been a fan of looking for cards of players I have no interest in or never heard of...Idk each has their own way to love the hobby which is cool by me :-).
Old 02-12-2024, 07:42 AM

for me, i think you can be a set builder and still focus on individual players/stars/etc that you love

i treat each year as a time capsule of sorts. i try to be as “complete” in a given year as possible. take ‘77 for an example. i have the base topps, o-pee-chee, burger king, cloth stickers, etc all bindered so they are easy to flip though. i like seeing and remembering players i loved then ( liking at you lee mazzilli and john stearns). but then i like to have the key superstars and rookies and red sox players in graded/higher grade slabs. i have this in hard plastic inserts so they fit nicely in the binder (another response talked about this i saw…).

set building just seems to evoke more memories for me than just doing individuals. this is less important for years/sets where those memories aren’t as strong. i’ll unlikely ever build a t206, but would love to have more individual cards there at some point. a ‘34 diamond stars set i would tackle because they were there first vintage cards ever introduced to me by a family friend. that’s how i decide
Old 02-12-2024, 08:28 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I prefer individual cards over sets and set building. Never been a fan of looking for cards of players I have no interest in or never heard of...Idk each has their own way to love the hobby which is cool by me :-).
I fall into this category with a specific exception. I collect sets that were released between the ages of 6 and 16 for myself as those strike a memory chord. I love to thumb through them as I wanted them so bad in a card shop or the Sears wish book.

Otherwise it's a completely random assortment of "onesy-twosy" cards or any genre ever...the big 4, non-sports, anything. If it strikes my fancy it's in.

I don't think there is any one way as long as you are enjoying yourself. If you are not, then maybe it's time to change something up.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:22 PM
Stephen Benzel

I used to build sets and collect a wide variety of things, but I've focused all my energy on collecting the Cubs, 1870-present, and I've never had more fun. I'm determined to have the world's greatest Cubs card collection.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:34 PM

I have a lot of respect for set collectors but I don't like the idea of buying commons.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:11 PM
Jay Cee

This would be a good question to have a poll on. I would definitely say individual cards, of certain players.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:24 PM

I admire people that have the dedication and passion to put together full sets. Especially fully graded sets in high condition that take many years to acquire. They aren’t chasing only the big stars or only care about generating increased value of their collection. It’s about reminiscing and celebrating a by-gone era, remembering names of guys you totally forgot about or didn’t know. Researching who these guys were, what type of jobs they had in the offseason, understanding a time when guys played for the passion of the game, not for money or fame.
Anyone with a fat budget can buy an expensive card and quickly show it off. But a complete set in high grade is astounding! It shows the character of the collector, somebody that put the time and effort to carefully assemble a work of art.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:02 PM

You ask two different questions:

1. "Do I sell off / trade some 1 off things, ie, autographed memorabilia, hockey, basketball, rare albums, comics, etc. Assuming equal value, do I sell an autographed baseball for an equal amount in cards?"

2. "What brings more joy in the end... Completing sets or a variety of cool things?"

The first question assumes you are committed to assembling sets and asks how to pay for that commitment. The second question asks whether you should focus on sets or variety of cool things. Since the answer to #1 hinges on the answer to #2, I will focus on #2 (as most here have done already), and I will approach this from a different angle -- what would I rather sell vs keep (kind of touches om #1); instead of sell vs buy.

I recently decided to buy some real estate, and I have decided that I will sell sufficient value in baseball cards to pay for the real estate (many items will be sold in Memory Lane over the next few auctions). I own sets, back runs, and numerous cards of specific players, and I had to decide what to sell and what to keep.

Ultimately I decided to sell privately items that I felt could flood a market at auction causing a situation where supply outstripped demand (mostly e card back run variations), and to consign mostly items that I could maybe-likely replace if I ever so desired. Thus, I consigned to Memory Lane my T206 set, my 1914 CJ set, a D304 set, and many more common Ruth, Cobb, Wagner Gehrig , Plank, Mathewson, Thorpe, Young, and Jackson cards. Note, by "common" I mean more than 4-6 extant and I am not regarding front/back variations. I decided to keep the items that mean the most to me, that I feel has the most investment upside, and that would either cost me a fortune to replace or I could never replace. For example, I am keeping my compete E107 set (only one known), most red sox era Ruth items, most of my Wagner portrait cards, including T206, rare early Cobb and Jackson items, some very rare and historically significant items, etc.

First I decided to convert cardboard into real estate; you have decided to buy more cardboard. Next, I had decided what cardboard to sell and what to keep; you are trying to decide what to buy and what to buy it with. Finally, I determined to keep those items that are most dear to me, which often are irreplaceable.

In answer to your question #2, I encourage you to consider a similar dynamic -- first, define your top priority (for me it was to buy this real estate and to use 100% cardboard to buy it), and then decide what items you can and cannot part with in pursuit of that priority. Then execute. If assembling sets is your priority, then, in regard to question #1, sell whatever is less important than your goal for sets and keep the rest. You may find you like the individual stuff more. Who knows.

Last thing, regarding sets: Assembling sets is a lot of fun and a huge accomplishment. In my experience, the fun is in assembling and there is a bit of a let down after completion -- the journey, not the destination, is the reward. Regardless, if you do pursue sets, please spend the real money on the HOFers and be frugal on the commons.

Good luck
Old 02-12-2024, 02:36 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

One of the things I enjoy about set building is that no card is more important than any other for completion.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:27 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Blonde or brunette?

London or Paris?

Chocolate or Strawberry?

Ferrari or Lamborghini?

I'm guessing we all have our preferences, depending on what floats our boat. Personally, I'm a player collector, and I go deep. I want every piece from their playing days. If I'm feeling frisky, maybe I'll dabble in collecting a small oddball set that is mostly overlooked by everyone else and seems like it might be a fun sideline.

Although if Ferrari is an option, the correct answer is Ferrari. Always Ferrari.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-12-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:28 PM

I tend to gravitate toward specific types of collections, defined by me, that make me happy.

I have an ungraded Mark Grace collection that happily sits in binders and I don't really care that much about the card condition as long as it's not a beater.

I have a graded 1950-2011 "HOF-stars-notables" collection. Why 1950? Arbitrary, yet easy enough of a starting point...plus it lets me start my collection with the RC of the first NL/AL ROY winners Don Newcombe and Roy Sievers. Why 2011? Well, it used to be 2001 because Pujols+Ichiro really breathed life into the hobby and it was a nice time to be in it. It became 2011 because why not...and also Mike Trout. I made the call and got to add more cards.

I have an all-time Cubs graded collection of HOF-stars-notables. It's not insanely impressive like the collections of some others (aka Shankweather), but it's comprehensive and very fun to build. It let me deep-dive into the entire run of the team history (well, at least the 1886+ years) to find contributors that don't have decent name recognition. The education has been almost as rewarding as the cards.

So yeah, collect whatever you want and create your own guidelines. The guidelines may change. You might even get a little bit into it and decide to bail...that happens.

Have fun.

Last edited by BioCRN; 02-12-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 03:44 PM

Default 9 pocket sheet

I like to buy the best 9 to 18 cards of each set and put them in a binder,
That way you dont have all the commons and you have all the best of the set