NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Default Starting the Obaks... any advice???

Posted By: Ray Piskadlo

I'm currently 170 cards into the T206 set and I'm getting a little bored. I wanted to "expand" my hunt a little bit and collect something else. The Obaks seem affordable... I know there are exceptions. Any advice as I begin my quest? Is it easier to complete one group at a time, or to just collect all of them at once? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Ray Piskadlo

Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

I would stick to the 2nd and 3rd series if price is a consideration. The 1909's are going to cost a premium even in a lesser condition. 175 subjects will be easier to attain then the monster set(t206)you are working on. IMO the Obak's are nicer. Good luck to you!

Old 11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Each of the three sets, 1909, 1910 and 1911 have their difficulties if you are looking to try to complete a set.

The 1909's, while a small set of 75 subjects, are probably the hardest. Just ask Brian as he's been at it a long time and still needs about 13 cards.

The 1910's have the 150 Subjects sub-set that I hear are extremely difficult. Also, the set is gigantic if you want all of the variations. Well over 200 cards.

The 1911's are probably the easiest though Buck Weaver figures prominently in the set and he is a difficult and expensive card to find. Also, there is a lot of competition for the 1911's with several active collectors vying for them (Me included )

Finally, I understand your frustration with T206. I too have given up on it to concentrate my resources elsewhere.

Edited to show actual number of 1909's Brian needs. See his post on the T/B/S/T

Old 11-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

I would say if you are looking for the easiest to find, then go with the 1910 175 subjects. It is still a challenge because they do not come up for sale as often as T206's. They are the most affordable of the obak groups as well.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm not giving up the T206, just looking for something else to collect besides it. I haven't really thought about collecting just one series yet... just planned on getting 1-2 a week and seeing where it leads me. Are Weaver, Gandil, and Ten Million the most expensive players? Why isn't Hal Chase in any of the series???

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M

Hal Chase played for the New York AL team from about 1905 through 1918 or so. The one exception is that after the 1907 season he played for San Jose (California League) under an assumed name. Obaks are Pacific Coast League and Northwest League issues, Therefore Hal would not be expected to appear in any Obak series.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Thanks for the plug, Steve.

Ray, I was sort of faced with this decision several months back as well. I was getting into PCL and minor league sets heavily and I wanted to do something with the Obaks. I initially stayed away from the 1909's because they're very difficult to find, never show up on Ebay and very hard to pry away from people in trades. The examples of 1909s that have shown up for me, like many in my set, are usually in deplorable condition. Initially, I decided against starting 1909s and focused on the other two sets because 1910s and 11s are very affordable, always on Ebay and you can get them in nice shape still.

I also wanted a set I could go after affordably without needing to worry about premium cards. I felt I could do the player set of the 1910s as there really aren't any premium cards except for the variations. 1911s had Peckinpaugh, Ten Million and Weaver cards so I figured I'd start with the 1910s and go from there.

I ended up having the opportunity to buy two larger groups of 1909s and did so. Those two groups gave me over 50 of the 77 cards in the set so I figured since I was that close to completion, I might as well keep after it. This was back in March/April and I've picked up about 14 cards since then to push my total to around 64. I really like the look of the 1909s better than the 1910s and thought the horizontal cards in the 09 set were really neat so I ended up giving up on my 1910 group and sold all of the cards to a single board member. There were over 90 cards in the group and coincidentally, I believe that very group is being offered in BST right now.

Not sure if any of that answers your questions but hopefully it relates to your experience a little bit. Take care,

Brian

Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Steve, thanks for the clarification.

Brian, I think that's why I haven't decided to focus on one particular "set". I'll start with 1-2 a week, regardless of the year, and see what my collection looks like in 3 months.

Thanks again for everyone's help so far!
-Ray

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

T212-3 - A very colorful set:

Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have completed all 3 sets (1909, 1910 series of 175, 1911) and am one card (Wolverton) away from completing the 150 series set. Each set was put together card by card so I feel I have a pretty good handle on completion toughness. The Series of 150 is the toughest, the 1909 is next and is also more expensive, the 1911 set is next and the 1910 set of 175 backs is the least tough. There are some killer cards in all sets but trying to find a 1910 series of 175 Miller SF is keeping a couple of guys from completing their sets as a grandson of Miller buys up all the Miller cards he can find. (A really nice guy but it makes it hard). Perhaps you could find one off-ebay (like at a show). Ten Million and Weaver are toughies in the 1911 set and the Weaver will really cost you. I believe you can find all the 1910 series of 175 cards if you are patient and have the money. Buying the cards in lots, if possible, is definitely a better way, wish I had had that option when I was accumulating them. Finally, the 1910 series of 175 cards seem to be easier to find in high grade condition than the other 3 sets, with 1911s next and 1909 and 1910 series of 150 cards being extremely tough.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

just a little bit of advice for Ray...if you are lucky enough to find a Ten Million and Buck Weaver in the condition appearing in the above scan either get them graded or encased in something more rigid than plastic sheets. I have never been successful in getting mine tucked into those little sleeves without nicking a corner here or there.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Bob - Couldn't agree more about buying cards in lots. I like going after challenging sets, but I bet I wouldn't have started most of the sets I'm currently working on if I hadn't been able to buy a larger group of them to get me going. No way I'm competing with you juggernauts by trying to snag them off Ebay one by one. I need me a good head start!

I always considered Peckinpaugh to be a card that has commanded a premium in the Zeenut and Obak sets that he's in. You'll find him in the 1911 set Obak set alongside Weaver and Ten Million. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but if you choose the 1909 set, you'll have to tackle finding a Gandil, which will cost you even more than that 1911 Weaver.

Jack - Gorgeous display of 1911s. Wish my '09s looked like that. Ray, one thing to keep in mind is that should you try to put together an '09 set, it's probably not going to be too pretty, much less resembling Jack's collection.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

www.murraycards.com offer MUCH better sheets for T-cards. They have WAY more room on either side and come 10 to a page. Works out well. They'll cost you in freight across the pond but they are very quick about filling orders and they come quickly. Just another option.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Steve M.

Good advice. I put those into sheets (carefully) in 1987 and they've sat there since. No in and outs. But good advice never-the-less.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Again, all of the advice above is truly appreciated! I'd be looking to get the most bang for my buck, so cards that would grade a 1-3 would be my main target. Lots are definitely a good idea and I will keep that in mind.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Jack- Just curious, did you go after the other Obak sets also or just the 1911s? If you have seen what PSA 5s, 6s and 7s have been going for lately, have you been tempted to slab them and sell them? The prices have been oitrageous.
tbob

Old 11-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

I just got the SCP/Sothebys catalog for their upcoming auction and they have the 3 Obak sets in 3 separate lots.The sets are complete (no 150 series)and really nice..vg-ex/mt. Alot of other great stuff in this auction which starts Nov 14th. Oh yeah..I have no lots for sale in the auction.
Alan

Old 11-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Nothing better than Obaks -- and while they are growing more expensive (especially in high grade), I still think they are a bargain with demand being low, the true supply scarcity isn't obvious.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Tbob-

A collector friend in about 1989 or so, picked up all three Obak sets from an elderly gentleman that had collected and put them together. A fellow board member purchased the 1909 and 1910 sets first and I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase the 1911s. I spent the next 4 or 5 years trying to upgrade about 10% of the set that weren't in strong condition but quit after getting about 1/2 way done because I just couldn't find the last 7 or 8 cards to upgrade.

I haven't had any slabbed, but am planning to consign them for auction in the next year and will let the auction house send their choice out for grading. I have a handful of 1910's in decent shape and may or may not sell those off as well. Time will tell. But it is a great, colorful set and I enjoy looking at them from time to time.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Jack- Your 1911 set looks terrific, I know you hate to part with it. I failed to mention that although my 1909 and 1910 series of 150 sets are slabbed, my 1910 series of 175 and 1911s are not and won't be. I am amazed that the 1910 series of 150 cards don't go for more on ebay. Although they appear rarely, they don't sell for as much of a premium as they should, possibly because collectors think they are merely a back variation when in fact several of the cards have completely different fronts from their series 175 brothers.
tbob