NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Mike

Default Heritage Auction Catalog

The Heritage Auction Catalog just arrived and all I can say is "WOW". The catalog is a collectable itself . Unbelievable items. Hard to believe these artifacts have all survived this long.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:03 PM
Howard Chasser

Default going to be interesting to see

How all those ridiculously high grade pre war cards do.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:38 PM
pete ullman

Estimates on many seem "optimistic?"

Should be a lot of "foolish" money being thrown around in this one.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Jeff Sherman

Default Where

It always puzzles me how much incredible stuff has been kept in such pristine condition (cards, memorabilia, garments) and yet it winds up in an auction house for sale? Who owned all this insanely collectible stuff? Why are they selling it now? Who owned Jimmie Foxx's warmup jacket from 1938 and how on Earth is it in such amazing condition 80+ years later? The sheer volume of spectacular stuff in so many top tier AHs boggles the mind and provokes a ton of questions...
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36GoudeyMan View Post
It always puzzles me how much incredible stuff has been kept in such pristine condition (cards, memorabilia, garments) and yet it winds up in an auction house for sale? Who owned all this insanely collectible stuff? Why are they selling it now? Who owned Jimmie Foxx's warmup jacket from 1938 and how on Earth is it in such amazing condition 80+ years later? The sheer volume of spectacular stuff in so many top tier AHs boggles the mind and provokes a ton of questions...
It does seem crazy, month after month, year after year, auction after auction, page after page, so much fabulous stuff, no end to the supply it seems. What I would love to know is how much of contents of this Heritage auction, or any big auction these days, is new to the hobby, and how much has been sold or auctioned before, or coming out of an assembled collection? My guess would be something on the order of 25% new, 75% "recycled." Anybody else want to venture an estimate of the percentage?
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
The Heritage Auction Catalog just arrived and all I can say is "WOW". The catalog is a collectable itself . Unbelievable items. Hard to believe these artifacts have all survived this long.
I agree. This is the first time I went cover to cover and didn't see a single item I could afford.
I have, personally, been officially priced out of what I used to collect. Bummer, but I'm going to adjust and look into other venues. Still, it's fun to see what I can't have.

In the extreme, the virtually perfect '41 PB DiMaggio is ludicrous. You can actually make out his face! Lol
Old 02-12-2020, 05:26 AM

I've been saving all of the HA Platinum catalogs (the ones with the holographic covers). I probably have 20 or so. They are all spectacles, worthy of a permanent library.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM
pete ullman

Came home to a box waiting for me...wasn't sure what I bought???? It was the heritage catalog. I love the covers...what's inside...nice to look at but I'll never own any of it!!!!
Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
It does seem crazy, month after month, year after year, auction after auction, page after page, so much fabulous stuff, no end to the supply it seems. What I would love to know is how much of contents of this Heritage auction, or any big auction these days, is new to the hobby, and how much has been sold or auctioned before, or coming out of an assembled collection? My guess would be something on the order of 25% new, 75% "recycled." Anybody else want to venture an estimate of the percentage?
I would be very surprised to find any auction at 25% fresh to the hobby material. How much could really be left out there in general? 5% would sound way too high to me. I'd put the over/under at 1 to 1.5%
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I would be very surprised to find any auction at 25% fresh to the hobby material. How much could really be left out there in general? 5% would sound way too high to me. I'd put the over/under at 1 to 1.5%
I always feel a little let down after receiving one of these mega catalogs. It seems like there is just an endless parade of super high end stuff. (And some of that is no doubt fresh from the rehab center high end.) Feels like a bit of a shell game sometimes. You own some cool stuff and it feels cool and then you turn around and there is torrent of more and more and more and more very month.

I know the answer is buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy. But it does feels sometimes like one long never ending parade. And what's so special about a parade if you have one every two weeks.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I always feel a little let down after receiving one of these mega catalogs. It seems like there is just an endless parade of super high end stuff. (And some of that is no doubt fresh from the rehab center high end.) Feels like a bit of a shell game sometimes. You own some cool stuff and it feels cool and then you turn around and there is torrent of more and more and more and more very month.

I know the answer is buy what you enjoy and enjoy what you buy. But it does feels sometimes long one long never ending parade. And what's so special about a parade if you have one every two weeks.
Go for actual rarity over condition rarity. For some issues you're lucky to find one or two copies of a card in a calendar year.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
Go for actual rarity over condition rarity. For some issues you're lucky to find one or two copies of a card in a calendar year.
Very true. I have a player contract 1 of 1 and it's the coolest thing I have. Ditto for a few cards.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

What, exactly, is the definition of “new to the hobby”? I see that thrown around a lot, but it seems completely subjective.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
25% could well be high, but I think you're way low. Just 20 new items in an auction of 2,000? I don't think so. Now, we might be on different pages on the definition of "new to the hobby," since I'm including collections that have been built up over the years going way back now coming out. Most of a collection like that I would include in my definition of "new." And I think it will be some time before the hobby consists almost exclusively of more or less real-time churn and flipping, there's too much stuff out there that's been sitting in collections for years, not to mention players' estates and other things truly new to the hobby marketplace. I'd be interested to hear from any auction guys on this, they would know.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 PM
je.sse @rnot

Fresh to the hobby for me means sitting around basically undiscovered. Perhaps inherited and sitting in a shoe box or albums. Definitely not graded. I think 25% of listings advertised as fresh to the hobby actually being fresh to the hobby would be a good estimate. If there was a way to prove it I would take any bets at under 5% in just about any major auction.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 PM
Ed

Default how much is not new, but "improved" I wonder

... just wondering ...
Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

As former players (or their offspring) die (or prepare to) their collections are probably viewed as "new).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 12:17 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Any winners from session one last night?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

I don't understand why anyone would pay $264k for a L. James card. There are 99 copies out there and James is still alive. I would rather get 2 or 3 t206 Plank or a Cobb back instead.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball...ed-dailystatus
Old 02-23-2020, 12:54 PM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
I don't understand why anyone would pay $264k for a L. James card. There are 99 copies out there and James is still alive. I would rather get 2 or 3 t206 Plank or a Cobb back instead.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/basketball...ed-dailystatus
This astounds me. I remind myself that some people, corporations, etc. have more money than I can grasp. It's funny that I wouldn't pay, literally, a dime for anything associated with Lebron James--yet folks will be aggressive bidding on such an item. Collecting is definitely personal. I'm very happy for the winner although it is likely it's a company simply making an investment.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 PM
Br1an N0Iff

This is the same company that bids on its own auctions. I personally would take their results with a grain of salt.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:21 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
This astounds me. I remind myself that some people, corporations, etc. have more money than I can grasp. It's funny that I wouldn't pay, literally, a dime for anything associated with Lebron James--yet folks will be aggressive bidding on such an item. Collecting is definitely personal. I'm very happy for the winner although it is likely it's a company simply making an investment.
Likely a company making an investment? While certainly not impossible I find that highly unlikely. And that seems a strange assumption unless you have a specific reason to believe there is a company out there buying up high end Lebron cards.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:32 PM
pete ullman

$144k for the signed cobby.

https://prewarcards.com/2020/03/01/t...eaMsQpUIThLlBU