NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Sweet Caporal question- how did you know what you were getting?

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Maybe everyone else knows this, but I sure don't.

It's 1911, and you go to the corner store to buy a pack of your favorite smokes-Sweet Caporals. You're also kind of into the white bordered baseball cards, and want to add to your collection. You buy a pack, and doh!, it's a gold bordered card--cool but not what you're after. Buy another pack--Doh!! it's a pin with a baseball player on it-careful kid, you'll put your eye out. One more time--Doh, its a disk with a picture of a domino on one side.

As I understand it, all of these were inserted in Sweet Cap packs in 1911. Were the packs marked, sized or in any any way differentiated so that you knew what was going to be inside?

Old 08-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

Make sure the tax stamp has 1909-1911 on it. Also check for overprinting. Should be 1910 or 1911 overprinting. The following info tells you what to look for on the pack & tax stamp overprinting:

150 SERIES Factory 25 2nd District VA
150 SERIES Factory 30 2nd District NY
150 SERIES Factory 649 1st District NY
350 SERIES Factory 25 2nd District VA
350 SERIES Factory 30 2nd District NY
350/460 SERIES Factory 25 2nd District VA
350/460 SERIES Factory 30 2nd District NY
350/460 SERIES Factory 42 4th District NC

Old 08-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

but I don't know if that tells me what to expect inside the pack--a card (t205 or t206), disk or coin, once I've determined that the pack is authentic and properly dated.

(Also, I really was trying to put myself back to 1911, when the packs were fresh, so you really didn't need to worry if they were from the right era).

Your list sparked a thought however. Looking at a half-dozen or so P2 pins here at work, I see they are all from Factory 42, NC, except for the Large Letters pin, which is from Factory 25, VA. Maybe the pins were not available in the NY factory packs, although obviously, my sample size is woefully too small to tell. I'll pull out the few domino disks I have and see if similar informaion is available on them---- I see from Lipset's book and the SCD guide that the backs state a NY factory. Maybe disks in NY and pins elsewhere.

Can any advanced collectors of these issues offer any info?

Old 08-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

The only Sweet Caporal boxes that had T205's were from Factory 25, 2nd. District VA; and Factory 42, 4th. District NC. You're right about the P2 factories. Domino discs were distributed in a four year period 1909-1912. No way to tell what is in a 1911 box unless it's a T206 factory number that T205 didn't come in.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: The other One (Julie)

for the cigarettes...with perhaps some mild curiosity about what else you might find inside.

Old 08-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Administrator

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/factory.html

Old 08-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Administrator

..........(It not being 1911 anymore..)

Old 08-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian p

To approach the question from a 1910 era customer perspective, I would assume that there might have been some sort of promotional display info that would have informed the customer what freebie they would be recieving.

Then again, I don't remember seeing any surviving examples of this...anyone seen anything like this?

Brian

Old 08-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

to see who was inside seems to have a lot of tradition behind it. If they didn't do it for us, why would they have dome it for them?

Old 08-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I'm a little late responding to this post as I was returning to NYC for another year of law school however... when writing the book and talking to many members of the board here, I left out the pins and discs for 2 reasons. #1, I couldn't figure out a way to tell what pack they would have appeared in. #2, I wasn't really sure they were ever packaged inside a pack. A large portion of us have seen the 1911 era slide/shell boxes. Now, can you imagine a pin fitting in there along with the 10 cigs and not crushing them?