NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM
Daryl

Default Privacy note

I just clicked on someone's name and saw this:

"Viewing Private Message ******"

Replace the ****** with the name of another board member. Basically, it told me that the board member I clicked on was reading a private message from another board member. I don't mean to cause any alarm or anything, just thought it was strange.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

What you were probably seeing was the board member was reading a private message that was sent to him or her. People can send each other Private Messages (PM's). If you look at the top right hand corner just below your "Welcome, user name", you will see private messages.

r/
Old 02-21-2010, 06:11 AM
Daryl

Thanks Frank, but I know about PMs. What I thought was strange was that I could see that someone was reading a PM, *and* I could see who had sent them the PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:29 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

So basically, what you're saying is that you (a third party), can see that one person is reading a "private message" from another person, and also what their names are.

If this is the case, I'd say that those "private messages" may not be so "private" after all!

Steve
Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Daryl

Exactly.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I dunno

I can't see private messages nor do I want to. Every now and then one gets sent to my email because someone accidentally hits a wrong button, I guess. I don't even know why it happens nor do I care nor do I read them. IF you are freaked about something then either don't send PM's or go someplace else. Big Brother on this board could care less. There is no conspiracy to see PM's...trust me (or don't, I don't really care). thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 02:30 PM
David McDonald

What are the chances that you will be checking someone's profile at the exact time he is reading a PM? Kind of random I think and, even so, you'd only learn that a private message has been exchanged and not its contents. Not exactly a major breach of privacy. I did however see that one of our regular posters was logged onto www.donkeys-and-leatherqueens.com whilst I was checking his profile so maybe it pays to be careful.

Last edited by Kawika; 02-21-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Could someone explain the difference between a PM and a regular email? If I get a PM from someone on the board, I just look for the link in his profile and send him an email. I think it is easier that way.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Could someone explain the difference between a PM and a regular email? If I get a PM from someone on the board, I just look for the link in his profile and send him an email. I think it is easier that way.
I think the only difference is that a PM is on this board's s/w and an email is on your own s/w. That's what I would guess though I wouldn't swear to it . I use both interchangably and quite a few members send me PM's....whatever is easiest, makes no difference to me. If I am interacting with a board member that I don't usually email with, then it's more commonly done on the board, at least for me.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Leon. I find emails easier to use, but I am also a little computer challenged...not to mention mentally imbalanced.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Basically Barry, a "private message" is internal to Net54. If you look at the upper right-hand corner of your screen where your login information is, you'll see "Private messages: Unread #, Total #." If you click on the hotlink there, you'll pull up any messages there.

If someone sends you an email, it goes outside Net54, to whatever your email address is.

Steve
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM

If someone sends you a private message on Net54, you will get a notification in your normal email inbox telling you what to do. Also, I think you get a notification when you're on the board. So if you get one, you'll know. It's essentially like an email system, but to and from board members. I think I've got about 4 in total since this board has been up, and each time was notified via my normal email.

Last edited by drc; 02-21-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Barry Sloate

Steve- I do know about the box in the upper right, but if I get a private message and hit the link to respond, I don't get a clear area to write back. I get the sender's email and it looks like it needs to be deleted (unless I am doing something wrong).

By the way, did you see I fixed that grammatical error? Sometimes I go into brain lock. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:57 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Barry,

I just went back to the other thread and saw the fix. I wasn't gonna say anything, but right after that thread, I went to another thread where someone asked you to check their spelling, so after that, I had to point it out! I see grammatical errors on CNN.com and other places all the time, and each time, I end up feeling like the AFLAC Duck after hearing Yogi Berra!

Now back to the private messages (PMs).....

Once you click on the hotlink in the top right corner of the screen, you should get a list of all the PMs you've received. Then, if you click on an individual message, it will bring up that message. In the bottom right corner of the message, you should have two buttons: "Forward" and "Reply".

If you click on "Reply", you should next see the "Send New Private Message" screen. Then, you simply type your message in the bottom (biggest) box, and click the "Submit Message" button, and you should be all set.

Steve
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Fred

Leon,

Are you reading our private messages?

Hey, I really didn't mean those things I wrote about you when I sent those PMs to the other board members.

Is this how you know what everybody is thinking? I always thought you were omnipotent, I guess it aint so... you're just a cyber hack that likes to read everyone's PMs...

Ah, just funnin with you mi amigo...

Last edited by Fred; 02-21-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Steve. Next one I get I'll try it.