NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Have we exhausted all possible T206 topics yet?
Yes 26 18.84%
No 62 44.93%
Probably not but I wish we had 50 36.23%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Phil Garry

Default Have we exhausted all possible topics for T206 cards?

Have we exhausted all possible topics for T206 cards?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Hell no! Come on phil, get with it!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Chris

Whether we have exhausted topics is a topic itself . . .
Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Just so I've have it right.....this is a topic regarding a topic about a topic. I voted yes, (but I wish we hadn't).
Old 06-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I voted no.....

Even though I don't collect T206 specifically it is a mainstay of pre-war collecting. As long as there are collectors I don't think we can have too much of the topic. Interesting topic about a topic....
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM

I was just going to start a thread: "Is it too early to say whether we have exhausted all possible T206 thread topics?"

JimB
Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Ken McMillan

Zzzzzzzzzz. Zzzzzzzzz zzzzzz
Old 06-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Paul

There's new and then there's repeat -- but a lot of the repeat is new since there are a lot of new collectors who did not just start reading at post 1 and then get here. They started here. So it is new for them. Even if it is repeat for us.

I suspect there are cycles of new people coming and veterans going -- in and out of the hobby -- and in and out of Net54.

I sometimes follow up with anyone who had signed T206s at one point over the last 5 years. A meaningful number of those folks not only don't collect signed T206s anymore -- some of them left the hobby completely!

In sum, what is old hat to you is new hat to some.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Barry Sloate

I said "yes", but then I thought we never had a thread asking who collects them not based on the fronts and backs, but on the various edges?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

I suspect there are cycles of new people coming and veterans going -- in and out of the hobby -- and in and out of Net54.
No doubt. I know we have some members leave for a while and come back. Heck, one of the two guys that started the whole vintage card forum charade, Mike W., just registered about a month ago after being out for more than 5 years (and I think closer to 10). Our new membership has actually picked up recently. The last several months we have had 70+ new members each month. For each of our 38 months of the new software we have had 50+ new members. So there are a lot of folks that have never seen stuff being posted currently.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Matt Hall

I don't collect many T206 but I do read all the threads and do enjoy the information shared. Sometimes there's even a pretty good fight

I did vote that every topic has been exhausted, so surprise us with something new
Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Phil Garry

Along the same lines as Barry, maybe everyone can post scans of their T206 card with the highest surface grade.........
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

I'm new to the board, but been collecting for about 4 or 5 years now. I'm sure I'll ask questions that have been answered over and over again. I apologize in advance, they are "new" to me.

Rich
Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Barry Sloate

Since my post was a bit sarcastic, let me respond more seriously. There is always room for a new topic about T206 that is interesting and provocative. Problem is, a whole lot of them aren't. After some of the ones I see I can only think that the OP is bored and has nothing better to do than to start a thread about nothing. And there is a tremendous amount of repetition. Perhaps if posters were a bit more judicious, and some of the silly ones were omitted, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

And please don't ask me to point out which ones I think are silly, as I don't mean to offend anyone.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM

Default T206?

What is this 'T206' that you speak of? I have been collecting vintage bb cards for three decades, but have never heard of such an issue. Can someone post a scan so that the rest of us know what you are talking about?

By the way, I voted no.

Brian
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Curt

I'm one of the new guys and enjoy the learnings so far. This is an informative site. The PSA vs SGC gave me a little headache though.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Zach

I voted probably, but I wish we had because the T206 madness needs to stop!!!!!! LOL

FYI not that much of a T206 fan if you can't tell already LOL
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
i said "yes", but then i thought we never had a thread asking who collects them not based on the fronts and backs, but on the various edges?
lol
Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Since my post was a bit sarcastic, let me respond more seriously. There is always room for a new topic about T206 that is interesting and provocative. Problem is, a whole lot of them aren't. After some of the ones I see I can only think that the OP is bored and has nothing better to do than to start a thread about nothing. And there is a tremendous amount of repetition. Perhaps if posters were a bit more judicious, and some of the silly ones were omitted, we wouldn't be having these discussions.

And please don't ask me to point out which ones I think are silly, as I don't mean to offend anyone.
+2
At least we haven't had repeat threads lately on SGC v. PSA.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
T0NY @

Have we exhausted all possible topics for T206 cards?

Depends. If your a T206 collector, NO!! If you aren't one who cares what you think!!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

I enjoy the ever evolving master set checklists and sheet discussions. Which card was next to another card and how many cards were together on one sheet. Cards with double names or different names on top. Cards with 'ghosts' of other players next door etc. Neat stuff to me. The discussions are fun to follow. Amazing that 'new' stuff or info occasionally appears...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Tim Bro.ad

what about ghost overprints...............................

Ghost overprint may not be the proper terminology but the image of this card has been on my computor for a few years.

I don't collect T206 baseball cards but always found this card interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t-206cobboverprint.JPG (22.4 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2112 View Post
what about ghost overprints...............................

Ghost overprint may not be the proper terminology but the image of this card has been on my computor for a few years.

I don't collect T206 baseball cards but always found this card interesting.
That would be a fake Cobb with a fake stamp. Kinda scary, actually.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default You asked for it

Quote:
I said "yes", but then I thought we never had a thread asking who collects them not based on the fronts and backs, but on the various edges?
HOF edges

You can't get to Cooperstown without one.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Rawn Hill

Run a poll on whether we have had enough bitching about T206 threads. I hate infomertials, so I don't watch them. I don't like reality TV, I don't have TV anymore. If you feel that every bit of info is known about the T206 run has already been talked about and is known, then I bow to your greatness or lack thereof.

Rawn
Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Phil Garry

The educational threads are okay but some posts are a far stretch from being educational and just make a mockery out of the set.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Rawn Hill

My appologisies from the new members of the forum to the great and all knowing, vast knowledge you already have.

SKIP THE THREADS!!

If a thread mentions T206, move on. I'm one of the most limited collectors here, yet read almost every thread.

My little hometown paper(weekly), has 3 pages on church news, someone's recipies and yard sales and only one half page of local sports. Do I buy it? yes!! Do I skip that section? YES.

Let the board know what only you would like to discuss and maybe we can discuss your area to please you and screw everyone else. Welcome to Phil's board!!

Rawn

Last edited by carrigansghost; 06-28-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: More pissed by the min.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
have we exhausted all possible topics for t206 cards?

depends. If your a t206 collector, no!! If you aren't one who cares what you think!!
+1

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 06-29-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:10 AM
Phil Garry

Funny, this thread is far and away the most responsive and opinionated that one of "Phil's Threads" has ever received............

It seems to work well when pleasing T206 collectors and screw everyone else............

All hard feelings aside, when I see a thread with T206 in the title, I skip over it. Unfortunatley, threads relating to my collecting interests are much fewer and farther bewteen. When I do find them, I always jump right in to the discussion and enjoy everyone else's feedback. Maybe one day, collector interest in my area of expertise will meet or exceed collector interest in T206's (surely it won't but it's always nice to dream anyway). In the meantime, you won't see me starting threads about which Baseball Hall of Fame Rookie Card has the widest border around the player's image, etc........

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 06-29-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Frank- those are indeed some beautiful edges!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
All hard feelings aside, when I see a thread with T206 in the title, I skip over it. Unfortunatley, threads relating to my collecting interests are much fewer and farther bewteen. When I do find them, I always jump right in to the discussion and enjoy everyone else's feedback.
Phil, I do that with most T206 threads also, and I collect the set. I do the same with 'glove' threads, 'autograph' threads, 'bat' threads, and all other threads;i.e-if the title looks interesting I open it, regardless of the topic, although the Yee-love threads and autographed Ruth ball threads are a bit tiresome.

Funny thing - when I got back into this forum and started some threads, I got a few sarcastic responses about my posting about a repeat topic. Some people told me to use the 'search' function, some told me to shut up, but MOST were very polite in the way they told me that I was wasting their time . Given that the T206 set is so popular with new collectors, you've got to figure you will get a lot of very honest 'mistakes' like the ones I made. I would encourage forum members not to beat these guys up and run them off.

Also, I think your threads are very interesting - I actually open some threads based entirely on the poster, regardless of the topic, and you are one of them.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM

How about a "Meet and greet" thread just for T206 collectors?
JimB
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Clayton

I'm always sort of amazed when someone starts an anti-T206 thread. As others have posted, you don't have to read them..and in the time it took you to write the OP, you could have started a thread about the cards you like to collect. So, in the end, it's just T206 bashing IMO.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Jeff

Default I vote no

There are still these frontiers to explore:

1. Dressing up for Halloween as your favorite T206
2. Taking a T206 to prom
3. "Hoarders: The T206 Affair"
4. Dissolution: After many years of bliss and hundreds of T206s, my wife left me for a caramel card collector

Oh no, we've but scratched the surface.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Phil Garry

Nice, Jeff
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

If you could be a T206, which one would you be?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

If you WERE a T206 which Net54baseball member would you be?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you WERE a T206 which Net54baseball member would you be?
Two solid topics

How 'bout " if you were stranded on an island with only one T206...". Wait, I think we already had that one.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Which T206 is most likely to increase in value, and if you had it, would you get SGC or PSA to grade it?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Matt Hall

I'm saving my money for when SGC starts grading PSA flips. I have a few easy 98s
Old 06-29-2012, 04:51 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I'm saving my money for when SGC starts grading PSA flips. I have a few easy 98s
Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 PM

Here is a serious question, has anyone here besides Ted, because he's older than the printing presses t206's were made on, ever met a player from the t206 set?

Here's a non-serious one, two T206's walk into a bar....finish the rest(and I want names)
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default You can call me .....

Attachment 67567
Quote:
Ty

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-05-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Here is a serious question, has anyone here besides Ted, because he's older than the printing presses t206's were made on, ever met a player from the t206 set?

Here's a non-serious one, two T206's walk into a bar....finish the rest(and I want names)
The first one says, "what's that clown Burns doing wearing his glove on the wrong hand?"

The second one says, "Powers, you goof - first of all, it's 1910 and you're dead. Secondly, his hand is made out of cardboard so it's not even a real glove."

The first one says, "Patee, you're one to talk - I'd rather be dead than spend my life stuck in a Florida postcard."
Old 06-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Not true Demmitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The first one says, "what's that clown Burns doing wearing his glove on the wrong hand?"

The second one says, "Powers, you goof - first of all, it's 1910 and you're dead. Secondly, his hand is made out of cardboard so it's not even a real glove."

The first one says, "Patee, you're one to talk - I'd rather be dead than spend my life stuck in a Florida postcard."
In another corner of the bar in St. Louis later in the fall of 1910, Demmitt and O'Hara are finishing off their last quaffs,

Demmitt says, "You know, O'Hara, we only have seven hits between us since coming to St. Louis, we're both washed up and we'll never be worth a damn thing.

To which O'Hara responds, "Not true, Demmitt, last week Polar Bear stopped printing our cards. They'll be worth a fortune some day.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
In another corner of the bar in St. Louis later in the fall of 1910, Demmitt and O'Hara are finishing off their last quaffs,

Demmitt says, "You know, O'Hara, we only have seven hits between us since coming to St. Louis, we're both washed up and we'll never be worth a damn thing.

To which O'Hara responds, "Not true, Demmitt, last week Polar Bear stopped printing our cards. They'll be worth a fortune some day.
"Now off to our plastic caskets."