NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default SportsCard Plus Auction!?!

Posted By: runscott

Has anyone received their items from this auction? I have bought cards from them in the past and never had any problems.

Old 05-22-2002, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Never a problem....call them....although your mail might be getting out slow.....still have not received the check for the E96 (no biggie) and I thought you might have sent it before the card got sent....which you got yesterday or so.....best ..leon

Old 05-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Administrator

I've sent out a plethora of emails today to sellers who haven't shipped items to me. I think there must be something in the air - lazy spring weather or something. I called SCPlus early last week and they said they were "about to ship" - almost as bad a response as "God Bless". It's been so bad that I'm slowing down purchases for a while and concentrating on collecting payments and chasing down lost items. I should be getting several retaliatory negatives on ebay this week.

Surprisingly, the seller of the fake '33 AS cards sent a refund check after I spoke to her on the phone. She at first insisted that I go to a card show and get a notarized statement from a dealer that the card was a fake! I told her that was ridiculous, so she told me to send it to PSA! crazy,crazy,crazy.

BTW, I sent your check last week - with $5 extra for finder's fee and the "challenged Texan" tax.

Old 05-22-2002, 11:05 AM
Administrator

...no problem, added to the "Festberg" list.

Old 05-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

if you create an auction called " Fastberg" either.

The king was "Executive investments" ala Bill Hughes.
sell your item not pictured though your contract states the items will all have photos.then sends money in increments over an eight moth period. To the owed tune of 26k*,that was my experience. I received a total of $21k*.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Has anyone received their items from this auction? >>

Over a week ago - then again, I paid with a cashier's check.

Old 05-22-2002, 03:22 PM
Administrator

They sent me an auction catalog automatically, so they have some inkling of my status as a customer - at least enough to put me on a mailing list. Why not go the extra mile (actually about 5 feet) and update their records with the fact that I've been a steady-paying customer for a year now, and make an effort to get the items out a little quicker?

Old 05-22-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator

<< Why not go the extra mile (actually about 5 feet) and update their records with the fact that I've been a steady-paying customer for a year now, and make an effort to get the items out a little quicker? >>

Point taken, but look at it from their angle. If you want the items in a timely matter, pay with a cashier's check or money order. If you didn't pay with a check, then there is no excuse for the delay.

Old 05-22-2002, 04:05 PM
Administrator

especially when I'm selling, and also when I'm buying. If you want to keep your customers, you have to make the effort to keep them happy. Sure, you don't have to keep track of good customers and ship quickly. Sure, you don't have to post feedback as soon as you receive payment. There are all kinds of things you don't HAVE to do as a seller - including keeping your customers. As a customer, am I right or wrong? The answer is simple: I'm always right, because I can choose who I buy from, and I just made my choice.

Old 05-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Absolutely the biggest jerk I have ever dealt with. No way in a million years I will do business with them again. The package was sent to the wrong address, and when I emailed, asking them about insurance the guy called me and was a complete wise***.

I will enjoy giving them bad references for as long as I am involved in vintage cards, and I'm looking forward to a trip to small claims court to re-coup my losses if I don't get the package or an insurance check. This is the epitomy of bad customer service.

I just checked out their feedback and was not at all surprised to find the following from four days ago, no less: "VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! SHAME ON YOU FOR TREATING CLIENTS LIKE CRIMINALS!!!!"

Old 05-23-2002, 01:35 AM
Administrator

<< Sure, you don't have to keep track of good customers and ship quickly. >>

For the most part, "good" customers are those that they know well and/or drop a good amount in their auctions on a regular basis. Did you send them a personal check? Do you spend five figures with them every auction?

Old 05-23-2002, 05:42 AM
Administrator

I could discuss this all day, but I'll sum up with this - if I had spoken with Jim to begin with everything would have been fine. Unfortunately I ended up dealing with his lackey, whose customer relation skills need a bit of polishing.

Old 05-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zardoz51

I spent close to six figures with them, and they are "sweating" my check LOL. That's absolutely no problem so I don't mind waiting. My only complaint with SC+ is the speed with which my invoice was sent out. The auction closed on the 24th., my invoice was postmarked on the 30th. and received by me on Sat. May 4th. When I called last week, I was informed that my check (which was mailed on the Mon. May 6) was received by them on the 10th. and that my shipment would be mailed on the 24th.

The assistant I spoke with was very courteous and helpful.

Try customer service at Mastro! Whew! Some of the rudest, arrogant, and unfriendly people in the industry. However, Mastro now emails an invoice to the winning bidders to speed the process along

Now if only these auction houses could get into the 20th. century and start taking credit cards, but that's the subject of another topic.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Sorry. make that FIVE figures, not six. Morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet

Old 05-23-2002, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

My experience with Mastros has been great. The people are friendly and very helpful. I can't think of one instance over the years where they haven't bent over backwards to answer my questions or help me out.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Overall, I'm very pleased with customer service at Mastro - very professional. When Fedex failed to deliver my auction catalog to the correct address, the Mastro rep Fedex'd me another one, even after I told her it wasn't necessary. I also give them A+ for checking on shipments, packaging and prompt delivery, and answering questions about consignments. I have a lot of choices so a pleasant buying experience can easily tip the scale.

Old 05-23-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and I have NEVER spent 5 figures on anything. I'm strictly a low-ticket buyer (in a Mastro auction).

Maybe in a couple of months...once...

:p

Old 05-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

Thanks for the kind comments about our customer service. I am concerned about the one negative comment from zardoz51. Let me know who you talked to as I would like to follow up.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:36 AM
Administrator

<< Now if only these auction houses could get into the 20th. century and start taking credit cards, but that's the subject of another topic. >>

Zardoz:

I agree, I wish they would do the same thing. I recall a time when I emailed someone at SCP about accepting c/c's and me footing most of the % that they get hit with. Afterall a few more bids @ 10% increments would easily pay for that. Anyways, I was promptly ignored.

That didn't sit too well with me.

So after I spent a large amount in their last auction, I get an email with their "inventory list". Guess what? I returned the favor and promptly ignored it.

As Scott stated in one of his posts about "choices", that is so true. There are so many auction houses out there wanting our business. Not saying that they have to bend over backwards, but the least they could do is exhibit professionalism and common courtesy.

Old 05-24-2002, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have had nothing but POSITIVE experiences in dealing with:

Lew Lipsett on his auctions

Chris Porter at Superior Sportscards auctions

Kevin Struss at Mastro auctions

Clay Hill at Sportscards Plus auctions

I hope they are at National so I can thank them personally.

Old 05-24-2002, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom

used UPS........hope you're reading Doug.........

Old 05-24-2002, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Out of the few auctions I have participated in :
1. Mastro-the best
2. SportscardsPlus- excellent (yes, I have only had really good experiences)
3. Lipset- we all know....(not going there, Adam)
4. Sloate and Smolin or one or the other- excellent
5. won't try a Verkman, Festberg, or a few others
6. Ebay- lost connection this morning on a snipe.....my fault...it sucked....otherwise caveat emptor

that's my peso's worth.....regards all

Old 05-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

1. Lipset
2. Mastro
Robert Edwards
3. Sloate and Smolin
4+5 have never BID in a Sports Card Plus auction, or a Verkman auction. Have had good buys from SCP, good and bad with Verkman.
6,. e-Bay. When things go smooth, it's great, otherwise, it can ruin your whole Day, week, month. YEAR.

Old 05-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zardoz51

Please understand that my experience with Mastro was of a nature that left me feeling that customer concerns were not a number one priority, rather more of a nuisance. I have responded to Mr. Allen via email and explained what transpired, as per his request. As far as I am concerned, the matter really is of no consequence. I shall continue to do business with them, providing that they still want my business, after my prior post. I just won't be calling them asking as to when my lot is being shipped. I am happy that the overwhelming majority of you have had good experiences with them and shall continue to do so.

As a side note, I have been a member of this board for several months, though only as a daily "lurker". This board is fascinating and educational for me in an area of baseball cards where my knowledge sorely lacks. Hence my lack of any posting. I am ignorant when it comes to turn of the century cards, so why open my mouth to confirm this gross ignorance to the membership?

I sincerely hope that this board maintains the high quality of postings and the information contained herein.