NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2002, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default Tip Top Saturday night feeding frenzy

Posted By: runscott

...great entertainment watching the snipes!

Do these normally sell this high? The prices were way, way higher than SCD catl'g. I thought I would pick one up for my type set, but I couldn't even touch the mascot.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Now I see why my Tip Top collection is stalled at 1... the only card in that group that might be considered a bargain was the SGC 50 Wagner at a mere 3K. D322's are especially attractive cards, I think, and are certainly scarce/rare/uncommon. The prices realized last night should be the kind of "verifiable" evidence SCD requires for their price guide.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

Scott,

I watched those auctions as well. It was exciting to say the least. I also wanted to buy the Forbes Field card but it jumped well over my limit and I thought I had a high bid brewing. If anyone has this card, I wouldn't mind getting a price on it. But it was fun to see the numbers grow at each auction's final moments.

Take care.

Cy

Old 05-20-2002, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I don't know if one sale can, or should, determine value. I think the price guides should be an average of many sales and not be affected by one sale where for all you know the the bidder just collects that one set and just wanted his set average in the PSA set registry to be higher so they went crazy with the bids.

Considering what the commons went for, I will agree that the Wagner seemed to go cheaply. Same case with the E94s that were just sold.

Old 05-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Pete -

Agreed that it's just one sale, but this was a group of 25 cards that sold to mostly unique buyers, which to me indicates representative pricing that happens to be far below the last SCD prices (true for most issues). So few of these cards change hand in the public eye that I think it would be wrong to not pay attention to the prices achieved.

A larger point, I think, is that current price guide values are detrimental to collecting, since those stated values are almost always too low. This had led to a tendency by sellers to inflate the grades of cards so that they hit the upper price guide boundary (NM). No one will rationally quote "book value" unless that value is an accurate indication of the card's true worth, so cards get slotted above their real grades. My feeling is that SCD should be giving price ranges for scarce cards.

Old 05-20-2002, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Cracker Jacks are expensive, too. And American Caramel.
(that set that came out in '33 with the red background, if I got the name wrong).

At first I thought you meant the 1947 Tip Top Bread! That's my Berra rookie card....also fairly pricey. But not THAT pricey!

The price guides are so busy trying to catch up with last years saler, they don't have time to look at this years. That's the way it seems.

Old 05-21-2002, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Came from Doug Allen and I bought it about 3 years ago on ebay. It is ungraded but probably vg-ex. I paid around $350.00 for it...which is about 25% of what the Clarke went for in this auction....wow.....seems really high......best regards all...