NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default Second November pickups

Posted By: David Atkatz

A couple of guys--and gals--during Spring Training 1927.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

David, great photos...I almost pulled the trigger on that BIN as it was a pretty good deal.

I posted this in the first thread earlier today so I'll post it again here.

1927-28 Spring Training photo from St Augustine - Ty Cobb and Eddie Collins...I don't know who the guy in the middle is.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

edited typo

Old 11-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

I picked this one up in the hopes that it was a team from Nebraska because the photographer is Heyn....well turns out there was a photography studio by that name in Great Falls, Montana too...oh well it's a neat photo and I didn't even realize until I scanned it and blew it up that the "TOM PORRO" on the window was "drawn" in there by the photographer. Anyone know what team this might be?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jim

Trying to post some not so recent pick-ups, but it is their inital posting. 4 different poses of Mr. Hornsby. Would like to here from anyone if there are other types of his from the BBM series. Had the 1923 NYY/NYG champions matted and framed. NYY (Ruth) includes Lou Gehrig - picture looks like the one used in the W504 sheet. NYG has Hack Wilson middle row, far left. In the middle row far right appears to be a black member of the baseball team Trainer Parker; first instance of a black person pictured as a member of a MLB team? I don't know. Enjoy!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Found this absolutely gem mint 60s Orioles pennant yesterday in an antique mall, and picked these pinbacks up at great prices on ebay.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Nice pickups as usual Mike. I've always like that Iffy club stuff...btw how do you get those pennants into those sleeves. I've tried to do a few of them, but they keep outsmarting me.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Dan: Great question, as I have struggled with these for years. The nice soft felt pennants just don't want to glide into these rigid sleeves.

Here's the best trick.... Get the soft pennant in as far as you easily can without it bending or crumpling. Then take a modern day, mass-produced, worthless stiff pennant and insert it behind the vintage soft one.

Push the stiff one straight down, and the soft vintage one will glide down along with it. Stop when you like the positioning of the vintage one within the sleeve. The new stiff pennant should then pull right out.

Hope this makes sense, and helps a little bit!

Old 11-22-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Thanks Mark! Hadn't even thought about that.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

That's a beauty, Mike! I am still impressed with how "true to form" most of the Stadium depictions are from that particular series of pennants. That's a pretty accurate rendition of Memorial Stadium.

I think my favorite from that series is Mr. Red flying over Crosley Field on a Bat (like a Witch riding on a broomstick). More useless trivia on this Stadium Series, for anyone interested...

Most variations... Tigers (by far)
Least variations... Phillies (has anybody ever seen one??)

Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys. What I do to insert them is stick my hand all the way in and press the sides of the holder with the other, like holding an envelope open. With your hand in the holder as far as you can reach, simply walk the pennant to the tip with the tips of your fingers.

Good point on the Stadium series Mark. I have never seen a Phillies.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Nice pickups Mike. Wish I could pick up something lately. It's either been real dry finding anything, or anything I have come across has gone for crazy money

Old 11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator

I'm sure you will pick up that nice Red Sox sweater in Mastro's auction eh Greg?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Kravitz

If anyone has any other interesting envelopes, and would consider trading or selling, please email me dan@chiprop.com

Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Hey Mike,

That sweater is indeed sweet...so is that 1915 signed ball and 1918 Panorama of Fenway Park (I especially like the advertisement for Fenway Beer and Supreme Ale on the pre-Green Monster wall behind Duffy's Cliff). Alas.... I need to hit the lottery one of these days. All three I'm sure will go for big dollars...

Old 11-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Picked up this Fred Clarke autographed letter. I didn't buy it for the autograph but mainly for the letter head of the Little Pirate Ranch in Winfield Kansas. I have an envelope from there also.

The second item is an incredibly tough 1972 Orioles game used jersey with Baltimore across the chest. The Orioles only used this style of knit jersey one season and this completes my Orioles 70's type collection.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Administrator

Congratulations Clint! Now what will you be going after?

Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Mike I really don't know. I need to let my funds build back up. I'll have to make small purchases for a while. Hopefully nothing great turns up.

I seen that Iffy pin on ebay, that has to be fairly rare. It's really neat. I have that Orioles pennant and it's the best one I think.

Great pick ups everyone else. Nice snapshots and premiums. Dan K. I like those covers, they are very artistic.

Clint

Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Clint, what the heck is the "Little Pirate Ranch"? Baseball school?

Great stuff.

btw a couple of my friends have decided that if we do make one American Association road trip that it will be to Wichita. The schedule came out last week.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Dan, no the Ranch was just where Clarke lived. He did hold auctions and various other sales. Clarke was active in baseball for quite some time including the NBC tournament in Wichita. He started his career in Nebraska by the way.

Let me know when you guys come to town and we'll meet up.

Clint

Old 11-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Got this in the mail today out of the blue from a fellow collector. 1952 Omaha Cardinals Lineup Card.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 11-27-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

1950's Omaha Cardinals. I'm always looking for vintage minor league team-signed items. Any 1950's Omaha stuff floating around?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Jodi, Nebraska minor league items are a major focus of my collection and I can tell you that they are somewhat scarce. Omaha items however are much easier to obtain than Lincoln. I have lots of Nebraska minor league autographed baseballs, but none from Omaha. There was a bunch of them on ebay about 5-6 weeks ago that all came from one estate, but I got outbid on all the baseballs.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

That's too bad. I would have liked to have seen them on eBay.

Are you looking for autographs of any Nebraska natives who were in the majors? I might be able to assist.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

I haven't really ever gotten in to autographs except for team signed baseballs, but I will keep you in mind if I decide to ever go in that direction. Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

That looks to be George Kissell's signature as the Mgr of the 52 Omaha club.