NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-11-2021, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
I haven't had great luck bleaching the stiffer white pennants. THe bleach doesn't seem to take as well.
I’d at least do the tassels and maybe a little soap and water on the pennant......if it was mine.

How come the Astros/49er’s/Santa Clara/Oilers guy keeps getting the good Giants pennants? Sheesh.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I haven't had great luck bleaching the stiffer white pennants. THe bleach doesn't seem to take as well.

Who do you guys think made the 49ers pennant?
Agree with AdFlag. It's both ugly and cool at the same time, with "cool" definitely winning out. Nice pickup Marc!

Greg, FWIW I have never seen an MLB pennant dated like that either (from any team). I'm equally impressed that you found an available spot on the "Wall of Fame"

Last edited by perezfan; 01-11-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:22 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Here’s a recent pickup. There must be a hundred Orioles pennants from 1966-70, and a lot of them have years printed on them after the fact. It’s somewhat unique to them. Anyway I thought it was cool how the dates of the Baltimore home games are listed, even though Game 5 on the 10th was not needed. Don’t know of another WS pennant like this ...
Here’s the matching pin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A78C0E60-75A5-432A-AF3B-45797F6E18BE.jpg (15.9 KB, 146 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-11-2021, 08:20 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I’d at least do the tassels and maybe a little soap and water on the pennant......if it was mine.

How come the Astros/49er’s/Santa Clara/Oilers guy keeps getting the good Giants pennants? Sheesh.
Ha!

Let me reorder for you: 1) Santa Clara (haven't seen a new pennant since Kyle dug one up from his epic 1915 CA find), 2) SF Giants, 3) 49ers, 4) San Jose minor league, 27) Houston stuff.

Last edited by bocca001; 01-11-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:47 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Ha!

Let me reorder for you: 1) Santa Clara (haven't seen a new pennant since Kyle dug one up from his epic 1915 CA find), 2) SF Giants, 3) 49ers, 4) San Jose minor league, 27) Houston stuff.
A cool experience (I may be repeating myself) ... 2009, my only time ever in CA, was a season-opener DH at SJSU, played the first game on campus and the second game at the minor league park which was in walking distance. Got swept.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Who do you guys think made the 49ers pennant?
I'm a little late to chime in on this one ... but, yeah, ADFLAG is my guess, too.

Their artists seemed to really value depicting the facial characteristics of football players, as this one does.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Here’s the matching pin.
Nice pin! Is that a tough one to find?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Here’s the matching pin.
Very cool!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Agree with AdFlag. It's both ugly and cool at the same time, with "cool" definitely winning out. Nice pickup Marc!

Greg, FWIW I have never seen an MLB pennant dated like that either (from any team). I'm equally impressed that you found an available spot on the "Wall of Fame"
I keep finding more room to hang in this tiny 30’ by 15’ room. Right now the count is: 217 pennants hanging (10 which are oversized), and 80 minis. Not counting these Eagles pennants above the stairs and the four six-footers that serve as a pool table cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C695B123-8C76-4307-A3CD-0F927E1568D9.jpg (8.9 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-12-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Nice pin! Is that a tough one to find?
It shows up from time to time. Baltimore made so many pins during those years some of which are very common, and some are extremely difficult to find. This is probably somewhere in the middle.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 01-12-2021, 12:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I keep finding more room to hang in this tiny 30’ by 15’ room. Right now the count is: 217 pennants hanging (10 which are oversized), and 80 minis. Not counting these Eagles pennants above the stairs and the four six-footers that serve as a pool table cover.
That Red Eagles Pennant is a killer!
Old 01-12-2021, 05:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Anybody here win this one? I thought it was one of the most beautifully constructed pennants I've ever seen. A pure work of art. For an early teens oversized pennant in that condition, someone sure snagged it for a nice price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-woo...rdt=true&rt=nc
Old 01-12-2021, 06:17 PM
Rob

Quote:
How do you attach your pictures, Greg? Are they from your phone? I wish we could get some bigger pictures from the Pennant Savant.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Anybody here win this one? I thought it was one of the most beautifully constructed pennants I've ever seen. A pure work of art. For an early teens oversized pennant in that condition, someone sure snagged it for a nice price...

Just think how much work went into making that pennant style. So much sewing!
Old 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
How do you attach your pictures, Greg? Are they from your phone? I wish we could get some bigger pictures from the Pennant Savant.
Yeah I lazily use my phone. Sometimes it lets me upload “actual size” but other times I have to choose a smaller one. If I’m at the desktop I can better adjust. Is there a better way to use the phone to get a large pic?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark, it’s my only real nice Eagles pennant. It would have been cool to learn that the Eagles wore red in the first year but nope ...

Did anyone here pick up the Raiders or Texans AFL pennants thst were just sold on eBay?
Old 01-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Yeah I lazily use my phone. Sometimes it lets me upload “actual size” but other times I have to choose a smaller one. If I’m at the desktop I can better adjust. Is there a better way to use the phone to get a large pic?
Not sure on the phone. I keep all my Giants pics (stuff I have, stuff I’ve seen, stuff I want) on my desktop computer. Thus, my Net54 pics come from there.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mark, it’s my only real nice Eagles pennant. It would have been cool to learn that the Eagles wore red in the first year but nope ...

Did anyone here pick up the Raiders or Texans AFL pennants thst were just sold on eBay?
Old 01-12-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Just think how much work went into making that pennant style. So much sewing!
I got this a month or so ago for like $65. Not sure if it’s worthless given the team or if the age alone makes it a good get. I got it because it looks neat. Niagara University is in Buffalo, my school actually plays them non-conference every now and then. It seems the school played only 10 games a year back in the teens. (Joe McCarthy played here 1905-07.) But this pennant is almost perfect, around 33.5”, and everything is sewn, every line, every wrinkle in the guy’s uniform. There’s no shot this was mass produced, is there? It seems like similar construction to the Madison pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7E729F56-D501-490D-AD4C-C19321C6B7BA.jpg (19.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg 6B689D07-E108-480D-BF26-30DD9CC6CDF3.jpg (15.9 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 1FFB3DC7-183C-4FF1-A91D-9EC4293BCE5F.jpg (14.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-12-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:36 PM

Silk screening seems to date commercially back to 1911 based on some crude internet searches. So I wonder if these go back to the aughts. That would include the baseball pennants with the leather graphics. Screening would figure to be so much easier to mass produce, so that once it became a thing, why would anyone sew? The leather graphics offered an alternative to sewing in that details could be burned on with a heated tool.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:40 PM

The first pennants to be screen printed first hit the market around 1910-11. It was obviously seen among pennant makers as a superior way to make a pennant because you could do so much more in terms of artwork using this method, which permitted very detailed graphics. More importantly: it required significantly less sewing and therefore required less time and money to produce such items.

But, these advantages notwithstanding, sewed letter pennants never entirely vanished. In fact, Collegiate-Pacific continued making them through the 1970s; and Winning Streak still makes them today (kind of).

Some manufacturers had no choice but to continue making sewed letter pennants. That's because the first companies to successfully adapt screen printing for making novelty pennants guarded the process behind it with utmost secrecy. They didn't just do this to maintain a leg up on their competition; they needed time to apply for and secure patents, because they correctly foresaw the value in the process itself and its adaptability for other other applications, namely, advertising posters; and eventually, apparel.

I've identified about 4-5 pennant makers from the early 1910s that were among the first to make screen printed pennants. The one most of you may be familiar with is The Reproduction Co. of New York City. They made some of the most recognizable collegiate pennants from that era using this new production method.

I have seen numerous pennant catalogues and advertisements from makers well into the 1920s offering both "sewed letter" and new "art process" (screen printed) pennants for sale. So, unfortunately, just because a pennant is sewn letter doesn't automatically mean it was made pre-1910. I wish it were that simple....
Old 01-12-2021, 09:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great insights, Kyle!

Greg, that Niagara Pennant is sweet. Very attractive and unquestionably of the era (teens). A nice pickup for $65. LMK if you ever want to sell/trade, and make a bit of profit.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Speaking of profit, it looks like Jonsstats makes out once again. Was this possibly a legit sale?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/orig-RARE-S...p2047675.l2557

The last time I had that Cardinals pennant, I think I got about $75 for it. And look at the ridiculous distance between bidders #2 and 3.

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/20...p2047675.l2565

I bet the winning bidder would like to behead bidder #2 right about now (for costing him a cool $929
Old 01-12-2021, 10:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:

I saw that one too and thought the same thing. I was going to post it, but didn’t want to put it in case someone really wanted it. The design is unlike any other I have seen. Really cool. That Niagra pennant is cool too
Old 01-12-2021, 11:31 PM
Jeff

Hi guys,
Here's my 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers pennant that I just got back from my framer today! It's my one and only vintage pennant so I did it up right, custom framed with Museum Glass. If anyone knows the specific year of issue for this pennant that would be awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07748.jpg (74.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07750.jpg (73.7 KB, 122 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Looks beautiful Jeff...

I’ve always loved that one and consider it to be the classic Brooklyn pennant. If you’re only going to have one, that’s an excellent choice. Not sure anyone can pin down a single year of issue, but pretty safe to say it’s early to mid 1950s... The Jackie Robinson era for sure.

Looks to be in great condition... a real beauty!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
The first pennants to be screen printed first hit the market around 1910-11. It was obviously seen among pennant makers as a superior way to make a pennant because you could do so much more in terms of artwork using this method, which permitted very detailed graphics. More importantly: it required significantly less sewing and therefore required less time and money to produce such items.

But, these advantages notwithstanding, sewed letter pennants never entirely vanished. In fact, Collegiate-Pacific continued making them through the 1970s; and Winning Streak still makes them today (kind of).

Some manufacturers had no choice but to continue making sewed letter pennants. That's because the first companies to successfully adapt screen printing for making novelty pennants guarded the process behind it with utmost secrecy. They didn't just do this to maintain a leg up on their competition; they needed time to apply for and secure patents, because they correctly foresaw the value in the process itself and its adaptability for other other applications, namely, advertising posters; and eventually, apparel.

I've identified about 4-5 pennant makers from the early 1910s that were among the first to make screen printed pennants. The one most of you may be familiar with is The Reproduction Co. of New York City. They made some of the most recognizable collegiate pennants from that era using this new production method.

I have seen numerous pennant catalogues and advertisements from makers well into the 1920s offering both "sewed letter" and new "art process" (screen printed) pennants for sale. So, unfortunately, just because a pennant is sewn letter doesn't automatically mean it was made pre-1910. I wish it were that simple....
This is great and it makes sense. Perhaps it is more indicative of pennants with elaborate sewn graphics like the ones pictured here ... someone could have saved a lot of time and money with a screen, if they had access.

I guess the first “series” to use screen print are the “B.B.C.” pennants which definitely date to 1910-14, due to the Phillies “daisy” pennants. One was in Hunt Auctions a few days ago, just beautiful .. but $9K including BP. Yikes!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Great insights, Kyle!

Greg, that Niagara Pennant is sweet. Very attractive and unquestionably of the era (teens). A nice pickup for $65. LMK if you ever want to sell/trade, and make a bit of profit.
Thanks Mark, I might take you up on that in time, I don’t have room to hang it.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Hi guys,
Here's my 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers pennant that I just got back from my framer today! It's my one and only vintage pennant so I did it up right, custom framed with Museum Glass. If anyone knows the specific year of issue for this pennant that would be awesome!
Jeff this is a cool pennant in great condition, love it with the frame.

Glad you posted it because this is from what I think is the largest “series” that we have yet to identify. I think it’s the same company that made all the “sliding runner” pennants along with the ones with script player filling up the body of the pennant, Phillies blue jays, etc. They tend to be a tick smaller, heavy felt, tight stitching, no tassels. Every now and then you see one of these with a split spine, as if a roll ended midway through seeing and they just started a new one on the same pennant. The roster pennants are 1948-50, though the Athletics have a 1945, Trench was already in their glory and these are radically different.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 AM
Jeff

Thanks guys!

Hi Greg, you're correct on the size. The first thing I noticed was it's just slightly smaller than your average sized pennant, that's why I had to go the custom framing route! Won it in an ebay auction earlier in the summer, just happened to see it as the auction was in the final few minutes!

Last edited by jb217676; 01-13-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Speaking of profit, it looks like Jonsstats makes out once again. Was this possibly a legit sale?

The last time I had that Cardinals pennant, I think I got about $75 for it. And look at the ridiculous distance between bidders #2 and 3.

I bet the winning bidder would like to behead bidder #2 right about now (for costing him a cool $929
Insane! Neat and rare pennant but come on, now!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:59 AM
Jeff

Cool links! Here's the link to my Dodgers Pennant that I won this past November:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19...rdt=true&rt=nc

$157.50 USD plus $18.78 shipping! It's in fantastic condition... no stains or tears and the printing is real nice.

Last edited by jb217676; 01-13-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:51 AM
Rob

Quote:

My first thoughts as well...No way that sale goes through. Who would even want that one that badly to risk such a high ceiling bid? It's a rarer version of a pretty common style...So maybe $150? It looks like it's already missing from his sold results so I suspect the sale is already falling apart.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:02 AM
Rob

Quote:

I was tempted by the Texans, but the writing on the back bothered me. It ended up selling for $1565. He let the Raiders go for $560 which wasn't bad (not to me). Graphics a little cracked, blunt tip.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Cool links! Here's the link to my Dodgers Pennant that I won this past November:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19...rdt=true&rt=nc

$157.50 USD plus $18.78 shipping! It's in fantastic condition... no stains or tears and the printing is real nice.
That’s a good deal, too! Love the graphic. Here’s another example with the same bum:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63BBFF8B-4CDF-47B5-81D3-3817CE45E4D6.jpg (21.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 AM

I probably overpaid a little for this but don’t care, it’s pretty wild. Oiler man sent to the minors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0FC95A6-9550-4397-A4AE-6BCA0C7E26FA.jpg (20.1 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 3713B47B-8522-496B-95A2-17C8AB2D4CA8.jpg (11.3 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 01-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM
Rob

Quote:
I probably overpaid a little for this but don’t care, it’s pretty wild. Oiler man sent to the minors.
That one is so cool. I would've had a hard time not buying it for $250 so I think you did ok.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
That one is so cool. I would've had a hard time not buying it for $250 so I think you did ok.
Thanks Rob. I’m intrigued a bit by minor league football in the 1960s. NFL Films did a fantastic documentary on the Pottstown Firebirds 1970 season, it’s on YouTube, I highly recommend.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:10 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I got this a month or so ago for like $65. Not sure if it’s worthless given the team or if the age alone makes it a good get. I got it because it looks neat. Niagara University is in Buffalo, my school actually plays them non-conference every now and then. It seems the school played only 10 games a year back in the teens. (Joe McCarthy played here 1905-07.) But this pennant is almost perfect, around 33.5”, and everything is sewn, every line, every wrinkle in the guy’s uniform. There’s no shot this was mass produced, is there? It seems like similar construction to the Madison pennant.
That's a beauty!
Old 01-13-2021, 01:12 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
In theory, he should be thrilled--he won it! But then's there's the theory of relativity in bidding...

Last edited by Hankphenom; 01-13-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:51 PM
Marc

This reminds me of the Dodgers pennant we were talking about recently, with a team photo and city-related graphics. Looks like the planned/executed this one a bit better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (72.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:51 PM
Marc

Thanks to Mike M for making this available to me. The 16th Orange Bowl was Santa Clara vs. Kentucky. The material (shiny, silk like) is similar to two of my Orange Bowl pennants, which makes me wonder if the pennants were made to advertise the game (as opposed to sold at the game).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210104_105515.jpg (67.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Orange bowl 1.jpg (70.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Orange bowl 2.jpg (70.8 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 01-13-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Thanks to Mike M for making this available to me. The 16th Orange Bowl was Santa Clara vs. Kentucky. The material (shiny, silk like) is similar to two of my Orange Bowl pennants, which makes me wonder if the pennants were made to advertise the game (as opposed to sold at the game).
How big is that thing?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Marc

It's about 17 inches in diameter, which is a perfect display size for me (I'm just about out of wife-approved wall space).
Old 01-14-2021, 03:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Thanks Rob. I’m intrigued a bit by minor league football in the 1960s. NFL Films did a fantastic documentary on the Pottstown Firebirds 1970 season, it’s on YouTube, I highly recommend.
Yes...I've seen it. It's fantastic. King Corcoran was such character/con man. I think I actually have it on DVD somewhere. Nobody told a story like Steve Sabol. NFL Films hasn't been the same since he died.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 PM
Rob

This has no place in a pennant thread, but I wouldn’t want to antagonize the card guys.....$5.2M for a baseball card???? And we geek out over $5k pennants. Card guys are nuts.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
This has no place in a pennant thread, but I wouldn’t want to antagonize the card guys.....$5.2M for a baseball card???? And we geek out over $5k pennants. Card guys are nuts.
Yeah but is that after the buyer's premium?
Old 01-14-2021, 07:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
And there are 1,000 examples of that card for every one of those pennants.

Not to mention it's no comparison on the aesthetics.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
And there are 1,000 examples of that card for every one of those pennants.

Not to mention it's no comparison on the aesthetics.
That card would look like **** on my wood paneling.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Rob

I feel like a ‘52 Mantle is obtainable for anyone willing to pay.

A Keezer Giants like Bocca’s? I’d pay but they’re not out there!