NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Al

No man is ever forgotten when he has friends. R.I.P. Bruce

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Default Bruce Dorskind

I am saddened by the news of Bruce Dorskind's passing. I usually talked to him at every major card show we both attended. I found him to be very interesting, bright, and with a true passion for collecting. Though I rarely had anything off of his list- he was a pleasure to do business with on those occassions .I also enjoyed reading his diatribes on this site- as he was a master at stirring the pot......and creating discussion.

I'd like to express my sincere condolences to all of his family, friends, and collector friends on this site....
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Ken Wirt

My condolences to all his friends here. Always found his posts entertaining, and his collection inspiring.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Neal

RIP Bruce. My sincere condolences to his family and friends! God Bless!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Just an update to my earlier post....

As polarizing as Bruce and his opinions were on the board it is very nice to see that so many people (myself included) who rarely post and mostly just view the boards have come out, so to speak, with nice stories and memories of Bruce. So much different in person, a true gentleman and hobby enthusiast (understatement).

It seems as though no man is afforded the luxury of knowing his true footprint of the world he walks in..... This many responses to a post regarding Bruce and pretty positive the whole way through really speaks volumes about the man.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Robert Klevens

Very shocked to hear this sad news. I had a few dealings with Bruce and he was always a man of his word. My condolences to his family.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Default Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bollman View Post
Just an update to my earlier post....

As polarizing as Bruce and his opinions were on the board it is very nice to see that so many people (myself included) who rarely post and mostly just view the boards have come out, so to speak, with nice stories and memories of Bruce. So much different in person, a true gentleman and hobby enthusiast (understatement).

It seems as though no man is afforded the luxury of knowing his true footprint of the world he walks in..... This many responses to a post regarding Bruce and pretty positive the whole way through really speaks volumes about the man.
Agree with you Louis. I just read a nice article about Bruce:

http://aimgroup.com/2013/08/06/bruce...-long-illness/

...and I did not realize he played such an integral role in shaping Monster.com (job search site) into its present form. His funeral is slated for Friday. RIP Bruce...
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Jimmy

Default Sad News: Bruce Dorskind

"My Bruce be at peace now"

Jimmy
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Nice to hear that the irrascible, arrogant and elitist persona he portrayed on Net 54 was not the way he was in person.

RIP Bruces.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Bobby Binder

WOW...only 62 totally shocked. Since I started VCP from day one Bruce became a friend and he was a totally different person away from this board. Had many long talks with him on the phone. Met him a few times in person and had lunch with him last time I was in New York. He will be missed and was a great character.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Mark Macrae

Thanks for posting this Barry. I just returned tonight from a 3 week road trip and heard about Bruce's passing just prior to jumping on the computer. I met Bruce in 1984 at the Parsippany National. While he could be extreme and eccentric with some people at some times, our conversations and emails were always civil, and usually informative. Ted Zanidakis and I were just discussing the passing of many collectors recently, as well as several people missing from the recent National conventions. Bruce and Gerry Glasser are probably already debating which George Miller cards are most commonly found off center or in lesser grades. RIP Bruce
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 AM
Barry Sloate

Interestingly Mark, Bruce and Gerry Glasser were very close friends. They spoke regularly for many years. Strange how it worked out for them.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Agree with you Louis. I just read a nice article about Bruce:

http://aimgroup.com/2013/08/06/bruce...-long-illness/

...and I did not realize he played such an integral role in shaping Monster.com (job search site) into its present form. His funeral is slated for Friday. RIP Bruce...
Interesting article....according to the author he was a polarizing figure in the business world as well as the baseball card world.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Barry Sloate

There's a bit of a myth circulating that Bruce was quiet and soft spoken in person. Sometimes he was, but he was also loud and brash, and actually pretty driven. He was successful in business because of that drive. He could also be eccentric and odd, too. In spite of it all he was a decent soul. But behind the computer he was a different person altogether, one that was often out of control. Never quite figured out why he posted the way he did.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
... He was successful in business because of that drive. ...
What kind of business was he in?
Old 08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
What kind of business was he in?
Click the link that Zach Wheat posted at #107. That will explain it better than I can.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
But behind the computer he was a different person altogether, one that was often out of control. Never quite figured out why he posted the way he did.
It's a negative phenomenon of the internet - it has allowed people to split themselves in two. I'm not a card-show goer, so I met 50 or more Net54 people last week in Chicago for the first time. Almost none of them matched up with their internet personas (all being equal or much better in person). It was very weird in some cases - a couple of people who I thought were caustic bastards ended up being soft-spoken wonderful people. At this point I would encourage people to forget about the forum Bruce and remember the nice things people have related in this thread.

I wish I had met Bruce in person so that I could have re-evaluated my opinions and said something nice to him, and I hope to someday meet the handful of others on this board who fall into a similar category. I'm sure the opinions we have of each other will change.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Barry Sloate

It's true Scott. The computer has allowed us to create a new persona, one that is different from the one we use in our everyday interactions. Bruce took that to the extreme. I tried countless times to get him to tone down his comments, but admit that I failed. I didn't even come close.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM

I agree with Scott on his opinions meeting Net54 members in person. I, too wish I had met Bruce in person. I wish he had gone to a net54 dinner.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's true Scott. The computer has allowed us to create a new persona, one that is different from the one we use in our everyday interactions. Bruce took that to the extreme. I tried countless times to get him to tone down his comments, but admit that I failed. I didn't even come close.
I suspect that if anything most people try to create a more favorable impression online than they might make in person, because it's easier to hide flaws; because one can write and respond more deliberately, etc.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I'm the same jerk in person.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Can we have some confirmation on that John? ha ha jes kiddin Dave.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Can we have some confirmation on that John? ha ha jes kiddin Dave.
I'll confirm that.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Maybe, but Chris and I were hoping to see you prove it in person - seriously, sorry we didn't get to see you at the National.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Never quite figured out why he posted the way he did.
This is just my opinion and my perception from reading Bruce's past threads, but I think much of it was done to get noticed so he could fill that wantlist. If you are going to advertise on the internet, you have to stand out among the crowd, even be a bit brash. Bruce may have even learned the value of this with his experiences in recruitment advertising.

By using this posting style, and being a polarizing figure, Bruce's threads took off and the views racked up. The more people that knew about Bruce and his wantlist, the better. Sellers wouldn't care if he came across a certain way, as long as he paid.

After a quick search of the topics Bruce created, it's fairly easy to see his ulterior motive for starting many threads was finding rare cards or finding people who had these cards.

In the meantime, he did bring some entertainment to this board. It's just a bit unfortunate (for us) that he did not share the same amount of knowledge here on this forum that he seemingly shared with so many in person.

Hopefully he is at peace now.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

I disagree. One, let's be honest, very few people on this Board, much less anywhere, have the sort of material Bruce was looking for. Second, if your objective is to maximize your odds of finding what you want, alienating people and getting repeatedly tossed is not a rational way to accomplish that goal. We may never know what motivated Bruce to convey the internet persona that he did -- apparently in contrast to his much more likeable in person side. But I doubt it was rationally calculated to further his collecting goals.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Kenny Cole

I didn't get to meet the wonderful Brucii that folks are talking about here. What I got were really vile emails, to which I ultimately responded in kind.

I guess that whoever is in charge of sending souls where they need to go will get it figured out. Wherever he goes, I hope he gets the karma to which he is entitled.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Click the link that Zach Wheat posted at #107. That will explain it better than I can.
Barry- did you realize that article had a link back to this thread you created? interesting, they are using this thread to demonstrate how big of a collector he was.

As i mentioned earlier- RIP Bruce.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 08-09-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Barry- did you realize that article had a link back to this thread you created? interesting, they are using this thread to demonstrate how big of a collector he was.

As i mentioned earlier- RIP Bruce.
Wow, a strange loop! I might send a link to Doug Hofstadter.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I am a johnny come lately, so my opinion doesn't cast much weight. In the few months I've been here I found his posts repulsive. I am learning that many more collectors saw him in a different light. Fine with me. I am sorry for his early demise and wish him eternal happiness in heaven. I still thought his posts were extremely rude and argumentative. Insecure attention seeker.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 08-09-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I didn't get to meet the wonderful Brucii that folks are talking about here. What I got were really vile emails, to which I ultimately responded in kind.

I guess that whoever is in charge of sending souls where they need to go will get it figured out. Wherever he goes, I hope he gets the karma to which he is entitled.
I, too, never met the Bruce described by many here.

I did, however, receive a lovely email, detailing Bruce's wish to sodomize my wife, while my son watched.
I think he's already received the karma to which he was entitled.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-10-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
TRUE!!!! Wouldn't have it any other way. Hobby needs more "characters" like John, keeps things interesting and fun.

Last edited by Louis Bollman; 08-10-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I disagree. One, let's be honest, very few people on this Board, much less anywhere, have the sort of material Bruce was looking for. Second, if your objective is to maximize your odds of finding what you want, alienating people and getting repeatedly tossed is not a rational way to accomplish that goal. We may never know what motivated Bruce to convey the internet persona that he did -- apparently in contrast to his much more likeable in person side. But I doubt it was rationally calculated to further his collecting goals.
I agree with Peter. Collecting is in good part a networking activity; you are only as good as your network of contacts and friends when it comes to tracking down items outside public sales. I had some items that matched some of the call-outs on the group's want list but 'they' were the last persons I'd ever have offered them to. I don't believe it is ever good marketing to associate your name with bad behavior. OJ Simpson got lots of publicity; I don't think it was to his benefit. Mussolini was world famous for all the wrong reasons. Now, am I saying the Brucii were equivalent to a murderer or a dictator? Obviously not. But to a large segment of the card collecting populace he was "that dick on N54 who refers to himself as 'we' and sends nasty emails to people." Not the epitaph I'd choose. A former boss/mentor once told me that it doesn't cost any more to be nice to people than to be a jerk.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-10-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Barry Sloate

Well, the funny thing about "America's Toughest Want List", in my opinion, was it really wasn't a want list at all. I can't tell you how many times I had something from the list that I offered him privately, and he passed; or had something in one of my auctions and he never placed a bid. In fact many of the items he wanted never even existed. For example, if the highest ever graded T208 was a PSA 5, Bruce would ask for "T208 in PSA 6 or better." I think at the end of the day that want list was there because he loved to be the center of attention.

Sure, he did put together a very nice collection, but probably did so the old fashioned way- bidding in auction like everyone else. The number of items he got from that want list were likely very few. But it did make him feel important, and that's what I think it was about. Bruce was Bruce, what can I say.

Last edited by barrysloate; 08-10-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:51 AM

The key item on "America's Toughest Want List" was this:

Bruce desperately wanted to be one of the "Masters of the Universe" he so idolized.

He never got that one, either.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post

I did, however, receive a lovely email, detailing Bruce's wish to sodomize my wife, while my son watched.
There was no excuse for his behavior like this disgusting email, which seemed to happen a lot around here from what I recall. I am surprised he has so many apologists.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM

I wanted to meet John (Wonka) at the National, but a friend of his said he didn't go.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Bill Gregory

I've tried my whole life to treat the people I meet, whether online, or in person, with dignity and respect. I don't judge a person until I have had a chance to hear what they say, but clearly how you act online is a part of who you are.

Whatever might have happened in the past should be left there. Bruce's family and friends will be upset by his passing, and we should be mindful of their feelings.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-11-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Speaking of Adrian, a quick check of his ebay ID reveals some big dollar purchases over the past month, none of which appear yet in his feedback.

Item Start End Price Title High Bidder Seller
111043622300 Mar-31-13 Jul-14-13 21:50:48 US $5,950.00 1921 E121 American Caramel Babe Ruth Series of 80 PSA 2 Good Purchased on:
Jul-14-13 21:50:48
See All Buyers jwilson6204

350835724455 Jul-16-13 Jul-20-13 21:19:54 US $1,100.00 1926 W512 Babe Ruth #6 SGC Authentic HS49 Purchased on:
Jul-20-13 21:19:54
See All Buyers tbh39

350825834776 Jul-01-13 Jul-20-13 21:20:14 US $1,000.00 1921 W551 Babe Ruth Hand Cut PSA Authentic LG5 Purchased on:
Jul-20-13 21:20:14
See All Buyers tbh39

380680002035 Jul-16-13 Jul-21-13 11:50:14 US $875.00 1954 Topps #128 Hank Aaron Rookie PSA 4 VG-EX 18633 Purchased on:
Jul-21-13 11:50:14
See All Buyers cookiemonster501

370859317776 Jul-21-13 Jul-24-13 07:57:37 US $2,649.99 1948 Bowman Basketball George Mikan Rookie Card PSA 5 1952toppsmantle (*) vintagerookies

310711889160 Jul-24-13 Jul-24-13 15:57:55 US $1,800.00 1984 Star Basketball Michael Jordan Rookie Card BGS 8 1952toppsmantle (*) vintagerookies

321178163290 Aug-02-13 Aug-05-13 11:17:43 US $7,500.00 1888 N403 Yum Yum Tobacco: CAP ANSON SGC Auth (tr & partially skinned) Purchased on:
Aug-05-13 11:17:43
See All Buyers the_coop

Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Bill Gregory

/shake shake shake, "magic 8 ball, will all those high dollar items be paid for?"

"Not a chance."

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post

Wow. That's heavy.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM

At the end of the day, Bruce was contemptuous of ordinary collectors and far, far worse, responded to criticism in the vilest terms. Notwithstanding his personal charm and contribution to the hobby, he is not someone I would have wished to call a friend.

May he rest in peace.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Jeff

There's no explanation or excuse for his board-related behavior and sadly that's his legacy to most collectors.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
There was no excuse for his behavior like this disgusting email, which seemed to happen a lot around here from what I recall. I am surprised he has so many apologists.
I've received plenty of vile emails from forum members who are still living. I didn't save them, and if I outlive any of them you won't hear anything about it. It's sad that some people feel the need to win internet arguments through attrition.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I've received plenty of vile emails from forum members who are still living.
I wonder why!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Belltown Vintage

Give up David. I'm not dead yet.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:47 PM

Don't worry. It comes to us all.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm sure Bruce is smiling wherever he is now that this thread has gone negative.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 PM

"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones."
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM
David Pierson
Banned

"Bruce the Cleanser"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brucie.jpg (84.3 KB, 366 views)