NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default E100 type 2 scarcity

Posted By: leon

Besides Mark M. (no fair cheating), who has seen any E100 type 2's for sale? If you remember the type 2's are blank backed , have some, if not all, players reversed, and have green or orange colors. I saw one in a Lipset auction some years back and nabbed it.Just curious and not trying to brag..and I am not sure I expect much, if any response, to these seldom collected cards although I think they are cool looking.. ..regards

Old 06-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

"not trying to brag" ? Hey this is a weird coincidence! I was just getting ready to write you and ask how to determine the type II. Very neat, I have never seen one til now. Dan.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I never knew there were two types either. Very interesting

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

The differences between the two types are very subtle. I remember seeing a few at the national a few years back, however for the life of me I can't remember who owned them. The ones I saw all had orange backgrounds (I believe they only come with green or orange, don't know if they have ever found any in different colors.) From what I remember the pictures were cropped differently (like your Sutor), where the II's were larger images of the players. But that is hard to tell, when you don't have a type I handy, the printing on the bottom is probably the easiest way to determine the type. The players name, pos, and team are all in a different printing font on front, the type II's have the thinner print. There are other minor differences, such as comma after position, but the print on front is the easiest way (for me at least) to tell.

Other than the one you have, and the few that I saw a few years back, I haven't seen another for sale. It could be that people have them and are totally unaware, but they are incredibly tough to find. I think I remember readig that most came from only 2-3 small finds, but I could be wrong.
-Rhett

Old 06-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Administrator

I have only been to about the last 4 Nationals but I wonder if you would have seen mine on display in a case? I haven't seen any at the Nationals I have been to although I could have missed them....wouldn't be the first or last time I did that. I would sure like to have a few more...also, I think the blank back would be the easiest way to tell type 1 from type 2...but yes I think you are correct on all of your thoughts....regards

Old 06-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Leon, you are right about the blank back being the easiest way to tell the difference, I was thinking more about being able to tell from the front of the card.
Take care,
-Rhett

Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Nice card Leon. Too bad it has a blank back, seems a little boring. I'll gladly trade you a type 1 so you won't have to look at that plain white reverse

Old 06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Yes the blank back is the main difference but the front has differences too as Rhett pointed out. Do any type I's have just Frisco instead of San Francisco? The cropping is a neat fact as well.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

As has been mentioned the cropping is the key to classifying via the fronts. I was told, and my experience hasn't proved otherwise, that all type 1 cards have the full figure, feet included, and the Type 2s are all cropped the way the Sutor has been.

The font used on type 2s is different and the images are also flipped.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Wouldn't the fact that types 2's have a blank back, different font and completely different cropping make this an entirely different set?

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Jay,

I agree. Note that the card sizes and punctuation are also different. It does indeed appear that these cards are from two distinct sets. I question the "type II" designation.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

would be that it is a type 2 and should be classified that way. But that's just my opinion based on the limited info I have seen on the set and the facts listed in this thread. If Mark M. is reading this would be good time to give an experts view regards