NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2015, 12:24 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default The Ultimate Tobacco Card Related Collectable is for Sale.

How about the house that built the Wagner? It could be saved and it could be yours...

This will be a bit of a sad post in my humble opinion. As a lover of history I find it very depressing to see historical items & places fade away or fall into utter ruin. This feeling of melancholy is only compounded when it happens to be in my back yard, and connected to a hobby or personal interest of mine. This is the case with a local Philadelphia landmark Lynnewood Hall.

Once the home of Peter Arrell Brown Widener a successful business man and philanthropist.

Widener by John Singer Sargent

Widener was known for starting the Philadelphia Traction Company along with his business partner William Lukens Elkins which was instrumental in the public transit of the day street cars. Widener used the capital from this venture to help found two major known companies U.S. Steel and The American Tobacco Company.

As collectors of pre-war cards the latter company hits close to home for many of us. The ATC was instrumental in the production of such brands as Goodwin & Company, Allen & Ginter, Kinney, W.Duke & Sons, Drummond, Kimball, Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, American Beauty etc. Of course over the years these brands issued many of the premiums, advertising items and cards we collect today.

A collector himself Widener amassed one of the greatest art collections of the time. It included works by Rembrandt, Manet, Renoir, Hals and many other greats. Much of this collection amounts to a good chunk of the National Gallery’s art collection today.

Widener died at the age of 80 in 1915. Succeeded by his youngest son Joseph Early Widener. Interesting note Peter's oldest son George Dunton Widener perished aboard the RMS Titanic in 1912 along with his business partner’s daughter Eleanor Elkins who had married George Widener. Both men lost their own children and their mutual grandson that day.

Widener by Augustus John

Joseph was a founding benefactor of the National Gallery of art as well an avid and influential player in thoroughbred horse racing.

Considered by many to be one of the largest surviving “Gilded Age” mansions in North America. Having had several owners who have dismantled, sold and rented out the grounds for various local area activities thru the years. Lynnewood Hall is falling apart and is all but a shadow of its former self.

The last owner had the property foreclosed on and it was purchased by The First Korean Church of New York, Inc. who owns the building today. A multitude of lawsuits, litigation have surrounded the property. Also locally it’s surrounded by gossip and stories as to the current state of interior as the current owner will allow no one inside or photos to be taken. This year the property was listed for sale.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...992?source=web

Perhaps it will be sold and restored to it's former glory. Though the home of the man who helped build the empire that spawned many of the cards we collect today may be falling down. It’s of some comfort to think his companies inserts and marketing materials are being preserved and cherished today by so many.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 04-24-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Great post John. I appreciated the history lesson
Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:32 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Great story

Love the history lesson. Very sad. Would have been amazing to spend a day at that place in its prime just to see the opulence and the lifestyle. Can't imagine what it would take to restore it. Just like many card collectors, many don't want anything to do with this place because it is not new and shiny and it is not a BGS 9.5. We appreciate this because we live in a collecting world of PSA 4 and less, SGC 50 or less and so on.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Daryl

Thanks for sharing, John.

Last edited by 4815162342; 04-24-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Scott S

The main library here at Harvard is named the Widener Library, built from a gift from the family in honor of the son Harry Elkins Widener, who died on the Titanic.

I believe the story was that he was returning to the States after a trip to England to purchase books for his world-class book collection.

The books from his collection are housed in an impressive room in the Widener Library, which includes a complete copy of the Gutenberg Bible. Really cool stuff to see....
Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Tom Boblitt

Great post. Looks like a restoration job for Vanilla Ice...........
Old 04-24-2015, 07:07 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Only one bathroom? Guess I'll have to pass

John - thanks for all the info...I always enjoy learning more history.

While, I don't believe the Vanderbilt's had a BBC connection, their mansion, Biltmore, is still being kept up as far as I know. If any of you are ever in the area, it's a can't miss.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice thread John. It is a shame the mansion is in such poor shape. If I were a gazillionaire, right after I cured the homeless dog problem, I would buy that mansion and restore it. Nice posters too.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:36 AM

In an ironic twist to the story, the new owners of the mansion have located a hidden storage room where cartons of unopened cigarette packs have been found. The vintage sports card world is in a tizzy because the packs were manufactured in 1910. Experts believe the find could be worth millions.

The new owners of the mansion say, if so, then the proceeds from the sale of the packs will help defray the costs of a total restoration of Lynnewood Hall.....

David
Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 AM
FredYoung

Great post John, but very sad to see an old lady in ruin like that!

55 bedrooms on almost 34 acres w/ ONE bathroom?---and ZERO half-baths?
Most all of the water/rust damage becomes obvious!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM
octavio ranzola

leon said it best
Old 04-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Very interesting story. It certainly tugs at the heart strings.

As clydepepper said, the Biltmore is Asheville, NC is a must see for anyone who appreciates these kind of architectural treasures. They also have a tasting room with some delicious wines. :-)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Honestly,
17.5 Million is not that expensive. There has to be 18 wealthy collectors who have a million dollars to invest...turn it into a museum with a wing devoted to tobacco cards...I would visit...heck we could have the National there too!

Joshua
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

With the estimated payment of $97,000 a month we need 100 collectors willing to hand over $970 a month and its a go (or 1000 at just $97 a month)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM
ErikV

Default Re: The Ultimate Tobacco Card Related Collectable is for Sale.

John,

A truly sad ending to an amazing story. I've been reading and studying about
the long and forgotten Gilded Age period for awhile now. It took place in post-
reconstruction America, circa 1876-1900. You'll notice in the mansions' photos
how correct Mark Twain was when he once said "To gild with gold, to paint the
lily...is wasteful and ridiculous excess." Twain himself lived during this period
and saw the excesses taking place in America at that time. This massive house
displays not only a bygone era, but also the lavish lifestyle of the robber-barons
of the period. Nonetheless, it was an amazing and unmatched period in time
as progress brought about numerous changes, both socially and politically.

It is sad to see landmarks with rich history such as this one fall to the wayside.
As someone posted earlier, if it aint shiny, most people today could care less.
The historical significance that this one building holds is still evident - even
down to our small niche hobby. (Believe it or not, there was someone else
who came from this period who also played a fairly large role during the Glided
Age AND was also influential in the early 20th Century baseball card
production. (I'm currently writing a biography of this individual. I've been
working on this manuscript for over a year and would estimate that I'm half
way to completion.)

Thank you John for posting this great story. It's a reminder to me of that period
from long ago. It's also inspired me to continue on my quest. Hopefully one
day I'll complete my project and share some more about this wonder time in
American and baseball card history!

ErikV
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 AM
FredYoung

Default Erik---

You have just dropped the ultimate TEASER!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Jeff C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
With the estimated payment of $97,000 a month we need 100 collectors willing to hand over $970 a month and its a go (or 1000 at just $97 a month)
If Sean doesn't buy up all of the slots like the last set break, put me down for a $97/month slot. Just let me know when the break will be held and if Nick will be streaming it live.

Since I'm only going in for 1 slot, I won't mind standing in line for the bathroom.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetwins View Post
If Sean doesn't buy up all of the slots like the last set break, put me down for a $97/month slot. Just let me know when the break will be held and if Nick will be streaming it live.

Since I'm only going in for 1 slot, I won't mind standing in line for the bathroom.
It should be noted that it was a big favor to me, in Sean (hi Sean) taking the remaining slots. Karma fell his way on that one.

That being said I can take 2 of the $97 slots on the mansion.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:28 AM

Default this

was a great post! imagine finding a hidden room of cartons.....now that would be INSANE!

great post Wonka
Old 04-25-2015, 06:14 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
was a great post! imagine finding a hidden room of cartons.....now that would be INSANE!

great post Wonka

What would we call that find? Another notation on TPGs for sure. Maybe it could be called the Big Frickin Mansion Find. Always fun to think what might still be out there undiscovered sitting in a box in someone's attic
Old 04-26-2015, 06:04 AM

Default Eric...

makes me wanna visit the mansion and go through every hidden passage....maybe there is a Wagz inside a wall??
Old 04-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Idea!

FIELD TRIP! Could be the first annual Net54 field trip. We could all get a tour as an "investment group" and several could wander off the tour and look for hidden treasures!
Old 04-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Mark

Gorgeous home that could make a really great museum. Such a shame to see it unused. Thanks for the post!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyking13 View Post
Gorgeous home that could make a really great museum. Such a shame to see it unused. Thanks for the post!
I think someone will buy it and bring it back to its glory.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Bill Boyd

If I get one slot for $97, can I get dibs on any old bicycles in storage. I am checking the spokes.