NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2018, 04:12 AM
Barry Sloate

Default NYC Dinner Thread

This has been done before and dare I try it again. The very first NYC Dinner Thread on Net54 lives in hobby infamy as one of the most dysfunctional threads we've ever had, but let's get started.

I am free the month of June, supposed to be away most of July, but those dates aren't set yet and I have some flexibility. We usually pick a restaurant someplace in Mid-town Manhattan. Please keep in mind there will always be one or two who can't make it on a particular date. We try to accommodate but sometimes we can't get everyone in.

So far it's Barry S, Michael S, and Jamie B. Anyone else? All are welcome to join us. Restaurant suggestions are encouraged. And I suggest a date towards the end of June, about a month from today.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:17 AM

Depending on the date (and an ok from the wife), I would make a trip north for this.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Steve

Thanks for taking the lead, Barry -- count me in!

I'm flexible on time and date.

Steve
Old 05-25-2018, 04:26 AM
Scott Russell

we were looking at coming into the city to see "The Play That Goes Wrong" anyway, Would love to combine the two if wives are allowed!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-25-2018, 04:37 AM

Always up for a trip in if the date works. Any Blarney Stones still open? Kidding but open to most food options
Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 AM
Barry Sloate

Great to see some old faces and some new ones too.

At some point we have to focus on time and place, so why don't I suggest a window between June 20-30. If that doesn't work, we can make necessary changes.

Do people prefer a weeknight or a weekend? We'll probably be split on this but let's hear what works.

And to Scott's question: yes, wives are welcomed, my wife Judy has attended several, but keep in mind this is a group of serious baseball card collectors. Will the wives find it interesting fare? We can talk about other things too, of course.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-25-2018 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: NYC Dinner Thread

Won't be able to attend, but was just in The City for my daughter's NYU Law School graduation last week. To say there was some culture shock for this small-town boy would be putting it mildly. Hope everyone enjoys the evening. Look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland this summer.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 AM
pete ullman

I am currently in New Jersey helping take care of my mom will likely be here for the whole month of June I would love to come!!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:59 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
Won't be able to attend, but was just in The City for my daughter's NYU Law School graduation last week. To say there was some culture shock for this small-town boy would be putting it mildly. Hope everyone enjoys the evening. Look forward to seeing everyone in Cleveland this summer.
Sorry you can't join us Ed. I'm an NYU graduate myself (M.A.)
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I am currently in New Jersey helping take care of my mom will likely be here for the whole month of June I would love to come!!
Would love to meet you Pete. So let's for sure try to get this locked in for June. We'll give this thread a couple of days for names to be added, then focus on the particulars.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:04 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Would love to meet you Pete. So let's for sure try to get this locked in for June. We'll give this thread a couple of days for names to be added, then focus on the particulars.
likewise barry.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'd love to join, but end of June is crazy with work, moving out of our house, and some family medical stuff that's up in the air. But please keep my on the invite list and I will try my dammest to make it.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:58 AM
Barry Sloate

Hi Steve- all you have to do is follow this thread, and when we eventually pick a date, if somehow it works just give a shout that you're in. Even when we all get to the restaurant, we often have one or two extras showing up and that's fine. You're already invited, so it depends entirely on your ability to make it. Hope it works out.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 AM
pete ullman

I propose mid juin!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Hi Steve- all you have to do is follow this thread, and when we eventually pick a date, if somehow it works just give a shout that you're in. Even when we all get to the restaurant, we often have one or two extras showing up and that's fine. You're already invited, so it depends entirely on your ability to make it. Hope it works out.
Thanks.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:31 AM
Barry Sloate

I was actually thinking of Saturday June 23. That's only a starting point and can easily be changed. How does that work for people? Remember, this is a work in progress so nothing is final.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Hi Barry, how much will the average dinner at the restaurant likely cost, and will there be any cheapskates?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:37 AM
pete ullman

As of this minute june 23 works for moi.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheadandrube View Post
Hi Barry, how much will the average dinner at the restaurant likely cost, and will there be any cheapskates?
I hear you...and I wish I knew your first name. Some of our dinners get a little pricey and for some that's difficult. If you want to join us and have a budget, kick in what you can and we will be able to cover you. That said, I wouldn't mind an affordable place. I usually don't pick it, but hopefully it won't be super expensive.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
As of this minute june 23 works for moi.
Great. So as a starting point, how do people feel about June 23? I know Scott wanted to get theatre tickets, so if that day is available he can join us say at 6:00 and head to the play when he has to. So let's hear from everyone about the 23rd. And there are still people who may want to come who have yet to see this thread, so we're still early in the process.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:19 AM
Scott Russell

should be doable for me.. FWIW I also prefer a reasonably priced meal, though a splurge is an option.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
should be doable for me.. FWIW I also prefer a reasonably priced meal, though a splurge is an option.
That's great Scott. If you get tickets we'll make every effort to get together that night. And I think a reasonably priced restaurant is a good way to go. Michael S. usually picks out the venue, so I'll work with him to find something affordable. Maybe we'll look into a good sports bar in midtown, not too far from the Theater district.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:37 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Wish it was first weekend in June as I will be in Wilmington for 5 days. Would love to put a face to names and meet some more hobby guys.

Member since 2009

Last edited by T205 GB; 05-25-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Rob

Just curious...if we have a budget, are we supposed to subtract 20% first or add it later?

Love the City....I'll be there for a week in July. Can't wait. Best food in the country.

Keens Steakhouse or Pete Luger or Takashi...For meat.

Katz's...For deli

Barney Greengrass...For smoked fish/breakfast

Rubirosa...For pizza

Papaya Dog...For hot dogs

Wu Lieng Ye or Joe's Shanghai...For Chinese

Blind Tiger...For beer

Murray's...For Cheese

Sushi Nakazawa or Yasuda or Blue Ribbon Sushi...For Sushi

Russ & Daughters...For Bagels and Lox
Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I would love to participate. With so many restaurant choices in Manhattan, I am sure we can find something pretty reasonable.

Jeff
Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
Wish it was first weekend in June as I will be in Wilmington for 5 days. Would love to put a face to names and meet some more hobby guys.
Hey Andrew- that's only a week away and may be too little time to put this together and get everyone on board.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:05 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Just curious...if we have a budget, are we supposed to subtract 20% first or add it later?

Love the City....I'll be there for a week in July. Can't wait. Best food in the country.

Keens Steakhouse or Pete Luger or Takashi...For meat.

Katz's...For deli

Barney Greengrass...For smoked fish/breakfast

Rubirosa...For pizza

Papaya Dog...For hot dogs

Wu Lieng Ye or Joe's Shanghai...For Chinese

Blind Tiger...For beer

Murray's...For Cheese

Sushi Nakazawa or Yasuda or Blue Ribbon Sushi...For Sushi

Russ & Daughters...For Bagels and Lox
That's a nice poem Rob. Don't think Peter Luger's will work- to get such a large reservation for a Saturday probably needs about four-six months lead time. But you mentioned so many others, most I don't know. I was thinking a good Chinese restaurant would be fun, but we'll see how others feel.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:07 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
That's great Scott. If you get tickets we'll make every effort to get together that night. And I think a reasonably priced restaurant is a good way to go. Michael S. usually picks out the venue, so I'll work with him to find something affordable. Maybe we'll look into a good sports bar in midtown, not too far from the Theater district.
I got together recently at Foleys with some folks and it was real reasonable and, hell, full of sports memorabilia. And is on 34th street. Just an idea.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM
Barry Sloate

That sounds good to me Steve, and the location is great. Let's see how others feel about it. I love sports bar food.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Makes me wish I was still in Connecticut. That first dinner with Wonka, Jeff, and Mike was great!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Quote:
Hey Andrew- that's only a week away and may be too little time to put this together and get everyone on board.
Yeah I know I do hope to meet some more guys at National this year.

Member since 2009
Old 05-25-2018, 10:43 AM
C@rl P@rk

A weeknight would work better for me as I work in midtown. Weekend probably wouldn't work due to family commitments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Steve

The 23rd works for me!
Steve

(If people choose weeknight, I'd suggest the 14th or 21st since they be towards the end of the week.)

Last edited by brass_rat; 05-25-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM
ThreadKiller

Default ...

I eat plenty of "shitty" and/or cheap meals on an ongoing basis, but when I'm on the road I'm not as worried about it, ESPECIALLY if there's cards and memorabilia involved! IF I was closer to - or going to be in NYC - I'd certainly be more than willing to splurge for a pricey meal! sadly (in THIS case, I cannot attend the NYC meet-up)...perhaps I would be unwelcome, anyway as I'm NOT a hardcore $$$ collector - but I encourage EVERYBODY to eat a few bucks (plus a decent meal) to support this gathering!)

I'm in SoCal, and would not hesitate for a second if such an occasion were available - AND available, schedule-wise, in THIS area...I understand budgets, but THIS NYC proposal warrants special interest/circumstances.

JMO,but something to consider

life's too short! have fun everyone!
Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Barry Sloate

At the end of the day we will have to go with what works for the greatest number of people. When we had our original mammoth 500+ post dinner thread, we discovered there was no night that worked for everybody. If two guys couldn't make it and we changed the date for them, suddenly two other guys couldn't make the new date. So we will try to please as many people as we can, with apologies to those who can't come. That's the best we can do.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Vote for weeknight here

Monday and Wednesday being the best for me. Don't really care much where the restaurant is. Would look forward to meet many. Understand needs to work for most - so I put in my 2 cents and let the chips fall where they may - will do my best to make it.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Barry Sloate

It doesn't have to be a Saturday, and most of the ones we've had have been on a weeknight. Let's leave the date open for now.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Michael S.

Count me in! Thanks for organizing it. Love to put some faces to the names and talk baseball!

Michael

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM

Hi Barry et al-

I’d prefer a weeknight, plus I suspect a lot of people are away on weekends during the summer.

There’s plenty of places in midtown (if that’s the preference). I’m on vacation until Tuesday...when I get back I’ll propose a few places. over the years we’ve done our fair share of great steakhouses, and Italian joints.

If people want something lower priced we could hit a place like Stout, near Penn...but there’s others. Let’s get plans together after this weekend.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 05-25-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Barry Sloate

Seems like a Saturday could be a tough go. Let's readdress this dinner after the holiday weekend, and see what works for the most people. I am flexible.

Everyone feel free to suggest either days or restaurants. Good holiday to all.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default NYC Dinner

Hi Barry and guys

I may consider joining you for dinner. That is if you guys want me too

Depending on choice of restaurant and time of get-together.

For me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip from Pennsylvania, so the return trip is my concern.

TED Z
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Greg C

Default Dinner

Is this open invite? I’m interested
Old 05-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Jamie

i would agree Monday-Thursday would be easier for me.. tough these days to get away from the family for a guys night on friday and Saturday.

keep me posted...
Old 05-26-2018, 04:03 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Barry and guys

I may consider joining you for dinner. That is if you guys want me too

Depending on choice of restaurant and time of get-together.

For me it's a 2 1/2 hour trip from Pennsylvania, so the return trip is my concern.

TED Z
Hi Ted,
Of course you are invited, and it would be great if you can come. I know getting back to PA is tough, but we can pick a restaurant not too far from Penn Station, and when it is time to catch a train you can simply excuse yourself and head out. Plenty of people do that. I'll call you this week and we can discuss.

And it looks like we will do a weekday. Let me throw out Thursday, June 21, and see how everyone feels about it.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-26-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Hi Ted,
Of course you are invited, and it would be great if you can come. I know getting back to PA is tough, but we can pick a restaurant not too far from Penn Station, and when it is time to catch a train you can simply excuse yourself and head out. Plenty of people do that. I'll call you this week and we can discuss.

And it looks like we will do a weekday. Let me throw out Thursday, June 21, and see how everyone feels about it.
Where in PA Ted? If the timing works out I could give you a ride, I'm in Carbon county so almost anywhere off of 78/22 would be easy for me.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:49 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

If there’s room for a small timer, I’m interested...in Connecticut so I’m a short train ride away...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Barry Sloate

Here's where we stand so far:

20 people have shown a strong interest or rated the dinner a possibility. From that list probably 15-17 will attend, and we may get more in the coming days. That's a pretty big group, probably too big for one table. Best to find a place with several smaller tables. If you put say 18 at a single long table, it will be impossible to speak to anybody except those sitting right next to or across from you. The guys at the other end might as well be in another time zone. So likely we would be sitting in smaller groups.

Since Saturdays don't really work, after the holiday I'm going to suggest Thursday June 21. As I said before it is virtually impossible to pick a day where everyone will be free. I know a few will say they can't make this date. But I think we have to pick something reasonable and go with it, with apologies for those who can't attend.

I like Steve N.'s suggestion of Foley's, the sports bar on 34th Street. Several attending will be coming in via Penn Station, and that will make it super easy for them. And every subway goes through 34th Street so the location couldn't be better. But it will be loud and crowded, so we will still listen to other suggestions as far as venue.

Any thoughts about this, please post. Trying my best to make this work for as many as possible.

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-26-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:53 PM
Barry Sloate

I just googled Foley's and it's at 18 West 33rd Street, which is between 5th and 6th Avenue. Still easy to get to from Penn Station. The pictures show tons of sports memorabilia, so no downside there. But it's hard to tell the layout of the restaurant from the pictures.

Steve N.- do you think if there ends up being twenty of us there will be enough room for everyone? And how crowded is it? Anything you can tell us will help to make a decision.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just a helpful suggestion. If you're going to have this get-together at a sports bar, check the date to make sure there are no 'huge' games taking place that night to avoid an even more crowded situation.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:16 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
I just googled Foley's and it's at 18 West 33rd Street, which is between 5th and 6th Avenue. Still easy to get to from Penn Station. The pictures show tons of sports memorabilia, so no downside there. But it's hard to tell the layout of the restaurant from the pictures.

Steve N.- do you think if there ends up being twenty of us there will be enough room for everyone? And how crowded is it? Anything you can tell us will help to make a decision.
If we wanted to do more dinner type places rather than a bar, my wife, who works near Penn suggested the following places for larger groups (private room may be availablel... big question also is whether or not there is an event at MSG that night.

https://casanonna.com/new-york/
http://m.mobilewebsiteserver.com/sit....google.com%2F

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk