NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 PM

Default Guerrero Jr Pre Rookie(MiLB)or MLB Rookie?

I don't usually collect any of today's young Rookies but i have a soft spot for Guerrero JR. Obviously, being from Montreal i had the pleasure of watching his father play and he was such a pleasure to watch.

That being said, I have been collecting quite a few unique game used JR items Pre Rookie(MILB) and have also been adding present day Rookie game used material(MLB)of JR's.

I know that the MLB Rookie game used items will usually hold more value over time (if and when JR performs like he can) than the MILB Pre Rookie items, but does it sometime also depend on the uniqueness of the game used memorabilia MILB item?

Please note that my question is more of a survey and/or opinion on which unique item one thinks will appreciate in value more? Is it always just an MILB vs MLB issue? Yes, I know that we collect what we like and have a passion for, but as i have mentioned previously I am out of my comfort zone and just curious if the answer is that simple to market participants and collectors.

I own a Guerrero Jr Game used and signed ball from his very first game(June 23, 2016) in the minor leagues(Bluefield Blue Jays) in which he had his very first hit. It is a gorgeous ball and very rare.

In the other corner there is a JR Game used Rookie bat signed, used for a few games and a few hits. Also a very beautiful item.

Will the rarity of the JR Minor League ball always be overlooked, thus its' future appreciation in value, because it is an MILB item?

Always appreciate the boards valued opinions. I recognize that this is an odd question but as i mentioned, i am out of my comfort zone and would appreciate some insight.

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:34 AM
T0dd M@rcum

If you are truly a fan, I doubt it will ever be worth more to anyone than it is you.

Unless there is rock solid providence, I don't think it will every get a lot of a premium. Even then, only if he attains Mookie Betts or greater status.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:27 AM

Thank you for your valued opinion Todd. In complete agreement with your view as to why we collect the certain players that we do.

There is indeed 100% provenance on the minor league baseball.

As mentioned, of course Jr would have to progress to the Super Star status for any of these items to hold any value at all.

Question is more to the rarity of the MilB game used signed ball as compared to the MLB Game used rookie bat. Is it a given that the rare Milb ball will never garner any attention because it is not an MLB piece? Does the rarity of the ball ever factor into the equation?

Thank you.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Mike Kaminski

I personally don't think the MiLB ball will ever hold great value - even if he becomes a superstar I think the value will be just a bit more than a regular signed baseball, if that.

MiLB used stuff, even by MLB stars, just doesn't seem to hold a ton of value.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Thank you for your opinion Mike, very much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:04 AM

If we don't try to project out on Guerrero Jr's super star status or maybe the lack thereof..what if the same game used items were those of super star and MVP Mike Trout?

Would Mike Trout's first ever Pro game used and signed ball be more sought after than his rookie year MLB game used and signed bat?

We now have a know versus a relative unknown as of yet. Does this change the Milb and MLB discussion?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:40 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I also collect some current MLB game used Items and in my experience MLB items do better than pre MLB items. I personally would prefer a ball used for an early hit vs an early game. But balls from rookies first game do have value. And to be honest I think a first Bowman Card Auto is going to gain the most value if Vlad Jr. Has a stellar career.
If we use the Mike Trout example I bought a few game used items in 2013 all have done well but none have increased like his first Bowman chrome card. And looking at Trout Bats a bat with a Home run or multiple Home runs seems to do best.so if I was going after A Vlad Jr. Bat it would have to have MLB authentication and a HR. Hope this helps
J
Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 PM

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated.

The Milb ball in question was game used in Jr's Milb Pro debut, and Jr registered his first ever Career hit in this game.

But I do understand the views of Milb vs MLB.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Well that ball registered as his first hit is a GREAT BALL. I would be all over it if I was you. Typically an umpire will grab a guys first hit for him. Now all you need is for him to sign it..
Old 08-07-2019, 06:07 PM

Hi Jonathan,

It is a game used ball..in his first game..first hit...he went 1/4...but it is a game used ball, not his first hit.

Ball is already signed by him, inscribed with date, and Milb Debut. Would have been over the moon if this was THE BALL for his first ever hit as a Pro...but close enough...LOL