NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Finally...Dean's Has Competition:

'Cigar-Box Find'

https://www.ebay.com/sch/truckeemead...&_sop=1&_rdc=1

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Chris Counts

The seller has some interesting items, but he seems to have added an extra "0" or two to each of the prices. Perhaps he's just using eBay to post photos of his collection.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:44 PM

Is that Sweet Caporal piece real or a fantasy item?

David
Old 03-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Bob Andrews

I need a nice ungraded '57 Alex Kellner but I think I will pass on that one and opt for one of the under $10 ones. I can spend the other $500 on some stars.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM
David M.

You need sunglasses just to look at his cards. He's brightened the scans so much that the white card edges blind you. I really can't tell if the cards are nice or not.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Scott Russell

scans are doctored, when you look at the enlarged versions the texture is way funky.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-14-2019, 05:30 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Cigar Box Find

Cigar Box Find ? He's even selling a cigar box. Maybe it's the one that he found the cards in.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM

If the Roberto Clemente piece is life size then how was it a cigar box find??

David
Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
If the Roberto Clemente piece is life size then how was it a cigar box find??

David
The Clemente sticker is relatively small, but someone could buy a complete set of them on eBay on a full sheet in the original package for half of the price he is asking for the off grade Clemente.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600ps60.jpg (81.5 KB, 899 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 03-14-2019 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 03-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Cliff,

Thank you for your answer. It makes sense now. I wasn't aware of this issue and his description says full size, which I took to mean life size.

David
Old 03-14-2019, 11:04 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Doesn't accept returns...shocker. Looking at his feedback of what he has sold is shocking...can't believe there are people who fall for this crap, wow...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-15-2019, 03:28 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
I need a nice ungraded '57 Alex Kellner but I think I will pass on that one and opt for one of the under $10 ones. I can spend the other $500 on some stars.
Yea - I zeroed in on the same card - At BEST $30 - He's got $517.44 + Shipping - Seriously? - Scratchin my head go figure
Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Anson

Perhaps he found something else to smoke in that cigar box before listing this stuff?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 AM

According to his feedback, he has sold some items that were graded by PSA so he OBVIOUSLY knows about grading companies so why aren't these "pack fresh" "dead centered" cards graded???

David
Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Is that Sweet Caporal piece real or a fantasy item?

David
Fantasy!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 AM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Haven’t seen a over priced Deans Card in years.... thank god for the Block button!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Fantasy!
"Scarce" Fantasy
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Scott Russell

Certainly smells a lot like a business model we have seen repeatedly pop up under different names.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-15-2019, 10:36 AM

In one feedback posted by a buyer they called this seller "Rob". Also, this guy seems to sell a lot of cards to the same buyers.

David
Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Rob

If they're that mint, why isn't he grading them? He'd make a killing.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Same seller, I am not so sure this is real? ..Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-Shoeles...YAAOSwwzhZPgBH

Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

I was unaware of this thread until the seller posted a 54 Aaron tonight. For a card of this magnitude, I was tempted to make an offer. But red flags started flying right away. No returns is a problem. The blanket guarantee of unaltered cards sticks out-I am fine with it for his collection. But I would have to ask, were all 300 star cards you had never seen before personally examined by you for trimming, etc? I don't know what to make of the payment plan. I'm no snitch, but this feels like it's against ebay policy. Additionally, the phone number (which I know is against listing policy) is listed to the carrier Onvoy, which is a voip phone. Also, coincidentally, Onvoy is a known proxy for the millions of spoof calls Americans receive daily.

By no means am I insulting this person's intelligence, but I think a savvy seller should have drummed up press/media over a find like this. Beckett Media is the first one that comes to mind. If that Shotwell Ruth guy can get on local news, so can this guy. Wtf else is going on in Reno?? Legacy auction houses basically exist for stuff like this. Striking a deal with PSA was an option. Plenty of slabs have collection monikers on the label-and as we know "Lucky 7" and "Dimitri Young" slabs command premiums. "The Shoebox Find" on 300 slabs of fabulous NM cards could have helped-especially on the 1952 Topps Mantles. Anyways, the seller promises this is the rollout of the high end cards. When those 52 Mantles are posted, watch out...there's not a single legit raw one for sale there now.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:01 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I see this has been added to original posting of the Joe Jackson Newspaper Page

NOTE: After much thought and consideration, we have decided to change our return policy. Because our number one goal is, and always has been, top level customer service, we have decided, effective immediately to implement a full 30 DAY, NO QUESTIONS ASKED RETURN POLICY. I hope this gives our customers more peace of mind that we will always stand behind what we sell. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Don't you want to pay really high prices for ungraded NRMT-MT vintage cards? What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:22 PM

Isn't a no returns policy against both eBay and Paypal's policies, which you must agree to in order to sell anything through eBay or Paypal?
Old 04-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Notice how all of the feedback says best offer was accepted? I bet many folks are offering half of the listed price thinking they got a great deal.

Last edited by UrbsHobbyCards; 04-02-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Happen to know this person and have done business with him (buying large lots, not one off cards). He has huge collection of cards from his deceased older brother and father, and a stand up guy. The cigar box thing is true, but I think that's just really for making listings stand out.

I have no idea how he sells things this high, but he does. He is definitely asking way more than he expects.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Isn't a no returns policy against both eBay and Paypal's policies, which you must agree to in order to sell anything through eBay or Paypal?
no. this is incorrect.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACardsGuy View Post
no. this is incorrect.
In what way, though? Paypal will let a buyer open a claim for money sent through Paypal. How can an item description void those terms if they accept Paypal as payment?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:03 PM

Default Trim city

Look at the edges on a lot of these cards. Look trimmed to me. Maybe its that brother tandem that was selling raw cards on eBay and later on their own auction website.

Something is rotten in Denmark.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
In what way, though? Paypal will let a buyer open a claim for money sent through Paypal. How can an item description void those terms if they accept Paypal as payment?
No returns policy is different than buyer’s ability to make not as described claim. Offering returns means buyer can say i do not want this because it is thursday and my cat is sick. Buyers are ALWAYS. Protected under not as described policy.

Outside of chasing top rated discounts, i do not see much advantage to a seller to having blanket returns policy. Ebay already makes it hard enough on sellers.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Look at the edges on a lot of these cards. Look trimmed to me. Maybe its that brother tandem that was selling raw cards on eBay and later on their own auction website.

Something is rotten in Denmark.
See my previous post. It is not some brother tandem and I have never received a trimmed card from him
Old 04-02-2019, 07:09 PM

Default To the defender

Quote:
See my previous post. It is not some brother tandem and I have never received a trimmed card from him
Can you go take a look at the 61 mantle dead centered. List for 1961.00. It’s one of the most obvious trim jobs listed by this seller in my opinion. Can you speak to the zigs zags slants curves and bowing on multiple edges? That card is an absolute train wreck.

I would tell your friend to grade his cards. Easier to sell them.

Last edited by bigfish; 04-02-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:09 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

There is a Pirate pack on eBay right now at $46 with about $12 shipping with 3 days left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
The Clemente sticker is relatively small, but someone could buy a complete set of them on eBay on a full sheet in the original package for half of the price he is asking for the off grade Clemente.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Philip JG
Ph1illip Gol,den

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Can you go take a look at the 61 mantle dead centered. List for 1961.00. It’s one of the most obvious trim jobs listed by this seller in my opinion. Can you speak to the zigs zags slants curves and bowing on multiple edges? That card is an absolute train wreck.

I would tell your friend to grade his cards. Easier to sell them.

Very much doubt your assessment re: trimming is correct, but of course, I can't be sure. He has done quite a bit of biz with PSA and SGC, but in general, doesn't want to deal with grading fees and waits when people are buying his stuff like this. Do the completed sales trick and see how much has sold raw. It's impressive.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
No returns policy is different than buyer’s ability to make not as described claim. Offering returns means buyer can say i do not want this because it is thursday and my cat is sick. Buyers are ALWAYS. Protected under not as described policy.

Outside of chasing top rated discounts, i do not see much advantage to a seller to having blanket returns policy. Ebay already makes it hard enough on sellers.
Being able to return a card means a seller accepts returns.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Default Cheerleader

[QUOTE=LACardsGuy;1867441]Very much doubt your assessment re: trimming is correct, but of course, I can't be sure. He has done quite a bit of biz with PSA and SGC, but in general, doesn't want to deal with grading fees and waits when people are buying his stuff like this. Do the completed sales trick and see how much has sold raw. It's impressive.[/QUOTE

Not grading high end cards because of the grading fees might be the stupidest reason I have ever heard. It’s just another red flag for a shady seller. Or atleast that’s the perception is gives off.

Since you’re the only cheerleader for this seller.... why don’t you pass along some info to your friend or directly to yourself.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:21 PM
C.urt Sch.midg.@ll

Quote:
Happen to know this person and have done business with him (buying large lots, not one off cards). He has huge collection of cards from his deceased older brother and father, and a stand up guy. The cigar box thing is true, but I think that's just really for making listings stand out.

I have no idea how he sells things this high, but he does. He is definitely asking way more than he expects.
The cigar box thing is a farce. Some of the pictures shown in the find are "borrowed" pictures from other sources.