NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Default Sheets/Slabs/Toploaders - Can Any Be Recycled?

Sifting through the detritus of my typical post National organizing, I am aware I am jettisoning a LOT of plastic. We're trying to reduce our overall household plastic waste and a good chunk of it comes from me with my hobby stuff. Is any of this stuff recyclable?

At a guess I would say no to slabs and rigid top loaders. I'm not so sure about softer items like Card Savers and sheets. Anyone know?
Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I really have no idea, but my wife puts almost everything in our recycling trash and lets Waste Management deal with it. I’ve heard that WM sells plastic garbage to China for reprocessing, but I’ve also heard that China may not continue to do this. What WM does with it if that happens is the unknown.

Maybe I’ll learn more when my wife puts me in the recycling can.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Bry@n

Not so sure about the recycling bin Frank, but didn't you find it odd when she asked your height before ordering the new compost bin?? I hear you grow great tomatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I really have no idea, but my wife puts almost everything in our recycling trash and lets Waste Management deal with it. I’ve heard that WM sells plastic garbage to China for reprocessing, but I’ve also heard that China may not continue to do this. What WM does with it if that happens is the unknown.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

LOL!

This is a good thread.

In Toronto, we can put the plastic top-loaders, plastic soft sleeves and plastic binder pages in the blue recycling bins.

However, you can't put hard plastic in the blue bins (PSA, SGC, Beckett cracked slabs, heavy screwdowns, etc.) I actually have a lot of these sitting in my storage and I just don't want to throw them in the trash. I just don't know what to do with them! Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Anson

Combining ideas from another post. Overview of a business plan for a new TPG, including recycling old slabs:

1. Create a system that rates attributes of a card individually, but without summarizing to a numeric value (similar to diamond grading)
2. Grading would note size/severity and location of imperfections
3. All graded cards would be accessible to view online per cert number and would include images of the whole card. Additionally, magnified images of corners and any identified imperfections relevant to the grading
4. Slabs would be made of partially recycled plastic
5. New submissions would get a discount on grading fees if including old slabs from other TPGs
6. Submissions would be limited to pre-1980 cards

So, that's what I would do with old slabs etc...
Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

So, the recycling market is crap right now and they are charging me to bring my clients recyclables at the main facility. There is ZERO $$$ in it these days. It is mostly being shipped to Vietnam as China is no longer an option.

That said, the general rule of thumb is the more rigid the plastic, the better.
Put it in the recycling can and let WM sort it out is a excellent suggestion Frank
Old 08-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
LOL!

This is a good thread.

In Toronto, we can put the plastic top-loaders, plastic soft sleeves and plastic binder pages in the blue recycling bins.

However, you can't put hard plastic in the blue bins (PSA, SGC, Beckett cracked slabs, heavy screwdowns, etc.) I actually have a lot of these sitting in my storage and I just don't want to throw them in the trash. I just don't know what to do with them! Any ideas?
Are you selling or giving them away? As long as the slab are just opened and not chunks missing I would like them. I like to put custom cards with custom flips in them.

We used to have a city recycling system. Garbage in one container and recyclebales in the other. They picked them up desperately. Them they mixed them together and shipped it all to a landfill in North Dakota. LOL

Last edited by bnorth; 08-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:58 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Are you selling or giving them away? As long as the slab are just opened and not chunks missing I would like them. I like to put custom cards with custom flips in them.

We used to have a city recycling system. Garbage in one container and recyclebales in the other. They picked them up desperately. Them they mixed them together and shipped it all to a landfill in North Dakota. LOL
South Dakota - Home of the Desperate Garbage Men

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:07 AM
Ben North

Quote:
South Dakota - Home of the Desperate Garbage Men
I am camping out in the middle of nowhere so my phone auto corrected separately.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I am camping out in the middle of nowhere so my phone auto corrected separately.
Breaking News from the South Dakota Bureau of Tourism

South Dakota in the Middle of Nowhere - Desperate Campers Welcome

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 08-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM
Anson

The $ in recycling isn't what goes in the bin, it's in the marketing of the products using the recycled material. Millennials and Gen Z throw their wallets at recycled stuff.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

Most of them have a small chunk missing on one corner (I used plier to break it off). I do maybe have a few nice ones though. Tell you what, I can ship them all to you for free. All you have to do is pay for the postage. PM me if you are interested.

And that's horrible that they mixed recyclables with garbage and shipped them all to a landfill! Bunch of b*stards!
Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Breaking News from the South Dakota Bureau of Tourism

South Dakota in the Middle of Nowhere - Desperate Campers Welcome
Been there, and you're not far from the truth.

It's actually pretty nice if you're camping, ND is also, and has way fewer people.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

My slabs get cut first these days unless they are SGC. I don't have all that many graded crack outs anymore as I tend to buy raw now.

I'm going t start saving the Card Savers and softer items. I've read plastic that doesn't bend is not usually good in the recycling stream. It just struck me that if I have this much plastic, there is 100,000 more times of it out there at least. It's a lot of plastic waste.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
My slabs get cut first these days unless they are SGC. I don't have all that many graded crack outs anymore as I tend to buy raw now.

I'm going t start saving the Card Savers and softer items. I've read plastic that doesn't bend is not usually good in the recycling stream. It just struck me that if I have this much plastic, there is 100,000 more times of it out there at least. It's a lot of plastic waste.
Yeah, those straws really add up.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:06 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Not so sure about the recycling bin Frank, but didn't you find it odd when she asked your height before ordering the new compost bin?? I hear you grow great tomatoes.
Man, no kidding! Imagine Frank's value as fertilizer!
Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 PM
John Wondowski

None of the items in questions are household collection recyclables. There is no PET (1'2) in the product and the more rigid, the less it is available for recycling. "Wishcycling" is costing the haulers and processors so much money that the communities they service are starting to opt out of curbside reclining. I have been in the industry for over 30 years - please PM me for more information. Throw that stuff in the garbage because that is what it is! And, don't listen to that bunk about filling up landfills. The US has a huge glut of landfill capacity. Of course, we do not want to generate unwanted waste that goes into a landfill, but Armageddon is not approaching.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We recycle as much as we can but it is a crap shoot too. I have heard that if you can put your finger through the plastic, around here, it is not recyclable. I have heard other things too but not sure what is true and what isn't. I throw almost all of my old plastic holders into the recycle and will let them figure it out. They look recyclable to me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
So, the recycling market is crap right now and they are charging me to bring my clients recyclables at the main facility. There is ZERO $$$ in it these days. It is mostly being shipped to Vietnam as China is no longer an option.

That said, the general rule of thumb is the more rigid the plastic, the better.
Put it in the recycling can and let WM sort it out is a excellent suggestion Frank
Old 08-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default actually

counter productive to put things they won't recycle with things they do. Requires extra sorting and disposal and is therefore less economical. As a quick aside - when living in Brooklyn in the 70's-90's we would bring bags and boxes of recycling when visiting friends upstate. On the third visit they asked us to stop as Monticello and White Lake had enough crap of their own.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondo View Post
None of the items in questions are household collection recyclables. There is no PET (1'2) in the product and the more rigid, the less it is available for recycling. "Wishcycling" is costing the haulers and processors so much money that the communities they service are starting to opt out of curbside reclining. I have been in the industry for over 30 years - please PM me for more information. Throw that stuff in the garbage because that is what it is! And, don't listen to that bunk about filling up landfills. The US has a huge glut of landfill capacity. Of course, we do not want to generate unwanted waste that goes into a landfill, but Armageddon is not approaching.
I know it’s a spellcheck created error, John, but when the WM team is reclining on my curb, I file a complaint.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Steve Birmingham

Our local has changed over the years. It used to be just 1+2 plastics, plus metal cans and glass bottles and paper. Some places wouldn't take mixed recycling, like if you had a tote full of paper and placed a 2 liter bottle on top they wouldn't take any of it.

Then they started taking other plastics, including at least briefly 7, which is Mylar.

Now, it's most plastic bottles, but no clamshells, even if it's a 1 or 2. And no black, since the automated sorter can't spot it on the black conveyor. But plastic egg cartons are ok, even though they're clamshells that once held food.... Confused yet?

"we want you to recycle, but we'll make it as difficult as possible"

There was a local ish trash place pre-2000 that I did some repair work for. They had a crew that would break open bags with a bobcat as soon as the truck emptied, and they would remove all the recycling. A few of the guys would unload and test electronics which actually get taken and resold. I don't think there's enough money in it for them to do that anymore.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 PM
mark sanders

Default on the subject of plastics...

anybody watch tonite's broadcast of "60 minutes"?
pretty shocking.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 08-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I throw sleeves, toploaders, pages, etc, that come to me during shipping in a box and give them to my local shop and he uses them for his inventory.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 AM

I did some research on this (along with suggestions for recycling) for my blog on Earth Day this year: https://bigleaguebreaks.com/inside-t...h-day-edition/

Quote:
Erika Alvarez, administrative coordinator for Ultra PRO, told me, “Our top loaders, deck boxes and sleeves are indeed recyclable.” Ken O’Brien, director of sales and marketing for BCW, explained a little more specifically: “The toploads are PVC, which is #3 on the plastics recycling chart. The penny sleeves are polypropylene, which is #5 on the chart.”
Old 08-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Good thread, I also have a lot of screw-downs, snap-together s and top loaders I have no use for anymore. I hesitate to ask my city as they change with the weather. They don't sort it anyway as it is all taken to Knoxville, I believe, to a recycle place there. The stuff I have in abundance is in great shape and I sold two large boxes three years ago for next nothing plus postage. I just hate to toss it so am hanging on until ???
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubman1941 View Post
Good thread, I also have a lot of screw-downs, snap-together s and top loaders I have no use for anymore. I hesitate to ask my city as they change with the weather. They don't sort it anyway as it is all taken to Knoxville, I believe, to a recycle place there. The stuff I have in abundance is in great shape and I sold two large boxes three years ago for next nothing plus postage. I just hate to toss it so am hanging on until ???
Why not figure out what shipping will cost and sell it on this site in B/S/T ?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:20 AM
Jim Boushley
Jim Bou.shley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Why not figure out what shipping will cost and sell it on this site in B/S/T ?
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I may try that rather than toss them or have them here for someone else to toss when I go.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:21 AM

We have over 50 lbs. of top loaders and would love to see someone use them. They are typically not going to be recycled by your local trash hauler or at your local town transfer station. And if you do include them with your other recyclables in your "blue bucket" your are likely contaminating GOOD recyclables at the collection center that they eventually reach. That's a problem. Wishful recycling is detrimental. ANYWAYS, if anyone wants top loaders for only the cost of shipping, please let me know. A USPS large flat rate box is now up to $21.90, but I will pack it as full as possible. I will fill as many boxes as you can use. Just PM me. Thanks in advance to anyone who can use them!
Old 03-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Frank
Fra.nk Anth0ny

Eastman is building a huge recycling plant for plastic about 1 hour from me in Kingsport, Tennessee. Don't think they would be doing it if there was not a lot of money to be made off it. Better here than China. Wonder what happens to all the holders sent to card grading company's.

Last edited by Frank A; 03-17-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:02 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
Eastman is building a huge recycling plant for plastic about 1 hour from me in Kingsport, Tennessee. Don't think they would be doing it if there was not a lot of money to be made off it. Better here than China. Wonder what happens to all the holders sent to card grading company's.
There is a lot of money in it but not from the actual recycling. I am all for recycling and really glad our local center no longer has "mysterious" fires.

ehazuka, that is awesome, hopefully you can find them a new home with people that need them.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Please email me, not PM

Farmerbret, you PM'd me and I've tried several times to reply ... but I don't think it's working. I've got a box full for you!!

If anyone can use these top loaders, please just email me. ehazuka over at h0tmail dot com.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:25 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

As others have said, throw it in there and let the facility sort it out. If they want me to sort and wash my garbage, they’re gonna need to pay me.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:42 PM

I know used semi-rigids are (or were) getting good money on Ebay. I bought a collection with 2,000+ semi-rigids and got about $500 for them all. This was in the middle of COVID when production had shut down. Not sure how it's going these days.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:21 PM

Thanks. This post is really helpful. I guess you're a "not in my job description" type of guy.

"As others have said, throw it in there and let the facility sort it out. If they want me to sort and wash my garbage, they’re gonna need to pay me."

Last edited by ehazuka; 03-17-2021 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added clarity
Old 03-17-2021, 03:15 PM

Default Top loaders are GONE!

I am glad I asked! The top loaders are GONE. I'm glad to see they can be repurposed. I urge anyone else who may have them taking up space in THEIR closet to just send out a message and you'll find folks that can use them. Nothing better than re-purposing. It's better than recycling.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:28 PM
Joe M.

Default Recycle

This is what allow & don’t allow in Ft Myers Florida.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9A7CFEF8-FE65-41A0-8095-F3EC1610B07F.jpg (21.4 KB, 184 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-17-2021, 04:13 PM
Patrick N.

Default Plastic sheets

If anyone one wants lightly used vinyl sheets and will pay shipping I will send you a bunch for free just message me

Last edited by mintacular; 03-17-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:28 PM
Travis Bid.ner

Just because something is “recyclable” doesn’t mean it can or will be recycled. Supply and demand leads to the value of the material. Without a market prices drop. China is no longer dependent of our recyclables. The market bottomed out and that’s why most places have stopped taking plastics besides #1 and #2.

You would be surprised to see what actually makes it to be recycled and what ends up in a landfill. Haulers are in some cases losing money “recycling”.

Here in the US people have to make or save money to recycle. I have seen shows where other smaller countries are very “GREEN” and do a fantastic part in recycling everything.

Also would like to add a few AMERICAN BEAUTIES
350 frame,no frame and/or 460
Old 03-30-2021, 01:30 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Adding this here because it might be a better option than throwing away old toploaders: https://blog.comc.com/2021/03/29/top...yback-program/
Old 03-30-2021, 03:23 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantycouch View Post
Adding this here because it might be a better option than throwing away old toploaders: https://blog.comc.com/2021/03/29/top...yback-program/
I love this.