NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM

Default Off topic : Oh sh!t

Has any one ever placed several low bids on numerous items (not really expecting to win) and you ultimately win some or all of them??? Then it's off to explain to your wife what a great deal you got, while she goes off on you! This seems to happen to me all the time. I'm ecstatic with the items, but not all of them together because it gets $$$$! Just wanted to know if I'm the only one, or if I need bidding Rehab.

Last edited by Moesalty; 04-20-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Paul

In Goodwin last night, I had to stop myself from bidding the minimum $100 on about a dozen SGC 60 T206 cards that didn't get a single bid. I had to keep reminding myself that those cards wind up being over $120 each with the premium and shipping. But I could DEFINITELY see putting down 12 additional bids on those and then waking up and being surprised.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default nope

Nope, you aren't the only one. I overspend all of the time.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM

That's exactly what I mean. You place numerous bids and you win them all! You're satisfied, but not exactly. It's a rollercoaster. Thank God you have more self restraint than me.....
Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Dan Bretta

I used to put in bunches of placeholder bids in the monthly Hunt auctions and win a lot of those...not so much anymore as it seems everything in those auctions go for way more than I would pay.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Reg

I was the same way yesterday with the Goodwin T206s! Going into the final day I was high bidder on about 20 cards. I wondering if I was going to have to explain to my wife how/why I just won 5k in cards.. Even though I didn't win some of them that I wanted I was a little relieved that I only won 5..
Old 04-20-2012, 09:09 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
In Goodwin last night, I had to stop myself from bidding the minimum $100 on about a dozen SGC 60 T206 cards that didn't get a single bid. I had to keep reminding myself that those cards wind up being over $120 each with the premium and shipping. But I could DEFINITELY see putting down 12 additional bids on those and then waking up and being surprised.
Same here! There were also a few SGC 50 cards with no bids that I liked a lot, but the minimum bid was $85 and if you're lucky, you can get those cards for around $50.

I did end up with 10 cards and overpaid for them, but eBay has been so dry lately with actual auctions, that I am happy with my purchase.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
I did end up with 10 cards and overpaid for them, but eBay has been so dry lately with actual auctions, that I am happy with my purchase.
Same story for the six I did win. I was willing to pay a premium for the convenience of plucking a small group of really nice ones at the same time from a reliable source.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Nope. Apparently I'm very good at getting outbid!

I usually put in bids on the first day of bidding on everything that I'm interested in, with the intention of getting outbid so that that come closing time I can evaluate which one(s) are still withint my range and pick and chose for additional bidding based on available funds.

Should the day come when I don't get outbid, well I'll just have to learn to deal with it.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

I only have one bid out there right now and it's at heritage, I'm still the high bidder, with about $2k in wiggle on my max, so here's to hoping, but I'm betting it goes for more than im willing to spend in the final hours
Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm usually really careful about bidding on a bunch of stuff. It's a quick trip to trouble.

When I started selling on Ebay years ago I had someone win about 6-7 cards for $1-2 each. They hadn't paid after a week, so I figured I'd just forget about it. About then I got an email from someone claiming to be the buyers girlfriend. Apparently he'd been a bit loaded one friday night, and not with cash. He bid on and won a bit over 2000 items, nearly all of them $1. When he sobered up and saw his email the next day he panicked as he only made about 500 a week. So they were asking for some extra time.

A quick search by bidder confirmed the number of items.

I said they should take as long as needed because a few dollar cards weren't going to be a big problem for me.

I got paid about a week later, and from the looks of things he got banned pretty quickly. I suppose from not paying the people that were difficult about the whole thing.

Steve B
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM
David M.

I have been high bidder on items before on ebay that I forgot I even bid on. With the snipe programs I've put in bids before thinking I'll go back later and decide if I really want the item. Then I forget and suddenly get an email telling me I've "won".
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Dean C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I have been high bidder on items before on ebay that I forgot I even bid on. With the snipe programs I've put in bids before thinking I'll go back later and decide if I really want the item. Then I forget and suddenly get an email telling me I've "won".
I'm not sure what sniping program you use, but mine allows me to enter a "placeholder" bid on an item -- either a $0.00 bid or anything under the current price. This lets me see the item on my list without committing me to it. I can always go back later and edit the bid. If I forget, then I don't have to worry -- unless, of course, someone cancels a bid and then my lower bid prevails. I guess that would be a good reason to just enter a $0.00 bid anytime I'm not sure about an item.