NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Is This A Proof

hi guys, this card might not be old enough for this forum, but i hope you will be able to give me some ideas on this card.

It looks hand cut, and is blank backed.

any thoughts??

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 04-23-2012, 12:13 AM

I don't think you can know for sure, but it's possible. You can rule out a blank back card pulled from a pack, as those are factory cut.

I don't know, but I think there's a reasonable chance it's a proof.

Last edited by drc; 04-23-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Pup6913

Or scrap would be very possible. Bad sheet cut up
Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

I have nine or ten '73 topps cards that have blank backs, but I' don't know why. I have also seen one or two blank back '73s on ebay in the past as well.

I know yours is '63, just made me think of my '73s

Last edited by Clutch-Hitter; 04-23-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: added info
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default to me

The card really should have gone in the post war forum on this board, but that aside, (to me) it looks like a card cut off of an unfinished sheet. I don't think there is an exact definition of a proof baseball card but when I think of one I think of cross-hairs for alignment and generally the lack of a name....besides the traits it DOES have....the blank back and the hand cut. Also, sometimes there will be minute differences in the design itself. If I owned this I would either call it scrap or a pre-production card. I think the term "proof" is abused in the hobby but not to the extent of words such as "rare."
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Joe M.

Possible cut from an advertising sheet?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Most blank back Topps were misprints that were inserted into packs and have the normal factory cuts. I pulled one or two as a kid.

The salesman sample uncut panels have the backs printed, so it wouldn't be from that. On salesman samples, any advertising is on paper pasted over the backs, and often to usually part of the backs is still showing.

A scap, handcut from a printing sheet certainly is a possibility.

Cut from other advertising sheet or related? I don't know. I don't know what advertising was used or is out there. Such an item most would probably be on a different stock than the regular cards, so that's an easy question to answer.

Last edited by drc; 04-23-2012 at 10:47 AM.